PDA

View Full Version : Another Injector Failure

BLUMAX
08-18-2004, 11:29
Well it finally happened to me, my '02 with 32k went into safe or standby whatever it's called. Really got my attention as I was going up hill in the fast lane passing slow movers when it happened. Anyway yesterday my service manager says I get a new set of injectors, plus with signs of leakage theres fuel in my oil and need oil/filter change and a new fuel filter as a precaution. My question is since I'm under warrenty and the injectors caused all this, why is he saying I get to pay for the oil/filter change, and fuel filter? Since all the truck paperwork is with the truck I can't read any fine print. But it seems like all of this should be covered, or are "consumables" not covered? Any help much appreciated.

UPDATE: Got my baby back after a 1 1/2 weeks, confirmed 1 bad injector, another possible with problems. Replaced all 8, I was worried because folks have been talking about a national backorder, but dealer had no problems geting them. Also replaced the injector pump, the 1st bad one they've seen. And the best part was all at no charge! :D Even the above mentioned oil & filter and fuel filter, they agreed they need changin' because of the injectors and covered everything under warrenty. And yes I had a rental the whole time, I hope others are taken care of as well.

[ 08-27-2004, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: BLU MAX ]

OC_DMAX
08-18-2004, 15:51
Seems like they should be cover the oil/filter change. After all, it is GM's defective parts that are causing all these failures.

jeffbentleyreich
08-18-2004, 16:05
I'll find out tomarrow if I'm being charged for oil and filters and let you know, but, as far as I'm concerned, charging me for oil when their admitted faulty parts damaged my 10 quarts of Amsoil would be worse than not providing a rental while they fix a warrantied problem.

tophog
08-19-2004, 17:29
Originally posted by Jeff R.:
I'll find out tomarrow if I'm being charged for oil and filters and let you know, but, as far as I'm concerned, charging me for oil when their admitted faulty parts damaged my 10 quarts of Amsoil would be worse than not providing a rental while they fix a warrantied problem. Unbeleivable ...the fact they want to charge you for oil/filters when performing this repair is ridiculous. Mine went to dealer today for possible injector problem, A/C and faulty oil level sender. I have a whopping 15K (2003).

08-19-2004, 18:03
Good luck tophog, LB7 injectors are on a minimum 30 day back order right now. I was talking with GM customer service this morning about my LLY injector that I needed and they said just be thankful you don't have an LB7 series injector cause most are taking more than 30 days to get.

jeffbentleyreich
08-23-2004, 07:06
BLUMAX,
The dealer did not charge me for the oil and filter but ask me if I wanted a new fuel filter ($93).

Little_Fishing_Creek_Farms
08-23-2004, 09:55
ad the injector failure 2 weeks ago on a 2002 Silverado 2500HD with 73,000. The dealership has now had the truck for the entire 2 weeks and they can not even give me an estimate on getting the truck repaired. No courtesy vehicle was offered and this "little" GM problem is starting to cost me some serious money, especially if the 30 backlog rumor is true.

The dealer hasn't mentioned if the fuel filter, oil, and oil filter will be replaced alone with the repair; but you can guarantee I'll be crawling under the truck before signing anything. Also, they stated that I had to pay a $100 deductible on the repair since my original warranty had expired and the repair was being conducted under the warranty extension. To avoid the argument over the phone, I decided to save that battle for later. After reading this thread I wonder if the $100 is for the fuel filter replacement.

In any case, I think GM has really screwed up the handling of this whole situation with misinformation, no information, and unbelievable delays. We've been running GMC vehicles consistently on our farms and personal lives since back in the late 1940's; but this whole debacle has us rethinking that choice in the future.

As a side note, the same day the injectors blew I hit a very large bird of prey on I80 that left a basketball size dent in the front of the hood and started a crack in the windshield. No winning with that truck!

jeffbentleyreich
08-23-2004, 13:35
I wondered about the deductable...they either forgot or decided to wave it. Don't hold GM accountable for the "bird of prey" - I'm pretty sure it was meant for a Ford.

OC_DMAX
08-23-2004, 15:38
Creek Farms wrote -" Also, they stated that I had to pay a $100 deductible on the repair since my original warranty had expired and the repair was being conducted under the warranty extension. "

Obviously your dealer has not read the bulletin that GM sent out to the owners of 2001-2002 DMAX equipped trucks. It specifically states the injector repair will be performed at NO CHARGE to the owner (for the first 7 yrs / 200k miles). DO NOT PAY A CENT FOR THIS REPAIR.

Texasoilman44
08-23-2004, 19:10
My injectors went south back in march of this year with 52,000 miles on the truck. I was not even aware of an issue with the injectors at the time, because I had not recieved my service bulletin at that point. All 8 injectors were replaced, new oil and oil filter and also a new fuel filter. No charge on my part. They also gave me a rental drive at no charge for the 1 1/2 weeks that they had my truck. About 3 weeks after the repair, I recieved my service bulletin in the mail and it stated that the repair would be free of charge to me. I was impressed that the dealer did not try to jack me around on the issue since I did not know about the service bulletin at the time.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Little_Fishing_Creek_Farms
08-24-2004, 05:50
Called the GM service line today to try to get some answers concerning the fuel injector failures. To start things off they were nice enough to call my dealer while I was on the line and inform them of special policy 04039, so at least now the dealer will not keep on insisting of the $100 deductible. However, that was the extent of my satisfaction.

First, the operator was not even able to give a ballpark guess on when the injectors would become available. She did say that there were problems with the manufacturing of the replacement parts and they had to restart production. Right now they are trying to get new injectors out to vehicles that came in mid-July... to me that means like 4 more weeks for someone who turned it into the dealer early August.

Second, she stated that the Special Policy repair does not include oil change, oil filter, or fuel filter. I expressed to her that the failure of the injectors compromised the oil; and to that she responded that the problem with the injectors was resulting in excess fuel in the crank case and therefore there was no need to replace the oil. WHAT!#@$*$@ It was still early in the morning and with a statement like that I saw gain in continuing the argument. Guess the dealer will get some of my money if and when this "free" repair is completed. (I was coming due for both filters soon anyway.)

Third, I asked her if Chevy/GM was prepared to stand behind their claim that this injector failure has not resulted in any longterm damage to the engine with the issuance of a warranty extension on the engine. To that she responded that Chevy has not seen any data to conclude that damage has occurred to the engine and at this time was not issuing any extension of the engine warranty. Guess running an engine with low oil pressure and dilution of the oil isn't really a problem.. surprised Chevy hasn't asked for a "thank you" for cleaning out the internals of our engines with that diesel/oil mixture.

SatchMax
08-24-2004, 19:26
A service manger in our area said it would be 6 weeks before he could repair a set of injectors for a Durmax. GM has over 32000 injectors on back order. Just returned from a 1000 mile trip to CO. and back with my cc3500. Have 62000 on the truck and it pulled my 32ft fifth wheel up and down the hills of CO. with no problem at all. Averaged around 10.25 mpg for the whole trip. It has not made or used a drop of oil in that 62000 miles. Jot to love this TRUCK.
SatchMax

1BADDMAX
08-24-2004, 20:29
I took my truck in on July 2nd. They first looked at it July 6th. I got my truck back Monday. They changed the oil and filter for me at no charge. I will however change my fuel filter. It has 7k miles on it anyways. Jim Cook's Chevrolet in Marion, North Carolina did a great job. GM on the other hand can suck my ****in'... #!%@%!. 52 days in the shop is totally unacceptable.