PDA

View Full Version : P0181 OBD II code

gozierdt
08-19-2004, 06:32
I just bought a 2002 2500HD with Duramax/Allison. It's a great rig, but it popped the SES light on Tuesday. I got an obd reader, and I've got P0181 error posted and another pending. GM states this is a difference in Fuel temp versus Intake air temp. I've got a date with the dealer for Monday, but can I fix this myself? Will a "standard driving cycle" fix this error, or is it probably a sensor calibration issue?

Thanks in Advance
Gene

NFLDMAX
08-19-2004, 07:29
Use the search function on this site and type in P0181. Most of the threads are from 2 years ago when these trucks first came out.

Welcome to the site.

mdrag
08-19-2004, 10:06
gozierdt,

The AUTOTAP OBDii (http://www.obdii.com/) site is a useful resource to look up DTC's.

P0181 Fuel Temperature Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance

Were you using your block heater? There was a known issue with the block heater setting codes - I don't recall the specific codes and whether 2002's were affected.

gozierdt
08-19-2004, 18:49
Thanks to both of you that replied. I did a search on the archives, and found a number of threads that were applicable. There were a number of problems related to the block heater in '02. There was a code update to fix this, but looking on the GM Vehicle Calibration Information page, it looks like my truck has these fixes. So I guess I'll see what the dealer has to say. Since it's new to me and this dealer, it may be worth the trouble to get the updated information known at this dealer. Plus I can let them know that I have some prior knowledge of the truck, OBD II codes, and this problem.

Thanks again,
Gene

mdrag
08-19-2004, 20:56
gozierdt,

From what I understand, the GM calibration site lists all the software updates available for a given VIN. The site does not list all the software that is actually installed in your truck. You have to check your truck with a Tech2 to see what software is installed, and then update if needed.

mdrag