PDA

View Full Version : Magnet on oil filter??

Heartbeat Hauler
07-25-2002, 20:21
Hi Guys, Just did my first oil change(the dealer did the first two)and I seemed to remember reading a post(and darned if I can find it) that there is supposed to be a magnet(s) on the oil filter. Is this true? I have contacted the dealer and he said (very apologetically and that they would buy me new ones free of charge) he is having a hard time finding a part number for them. Help please.
Thanks,
JP

mackin
07-25-2002, 20:29
Heartbeat Hauler ,

The magnet is on the trans filter......Keep them searching anyway.....Which you should do if your up to 5K by now......If you didn't all ready......

MAC

[ 07-25-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

JEBar
07-26-2002, 00:30
Mack be correct .... my trans magnet had so much metal fuzz on it at the first filter change that it really worried me ... have changed it twice since (mostly as a fuzz check) and haven't found any additional cause for concern :cool:

IndigoDually
07-26-2002, 05:30
I duct tape (to keep them from slipping) a couplr of strong rectangular magnets to the outside of all of my oil filters. I figure that it can't hurt.

John

Heartbeat Hauler
07-26-2002, 08:02
I appreciate the replies. I thought sure the oil filter had magnets. I'm afraid I have terrorized my dealer looking for these things. I kinda feel bad because I get excellent service from these guys. They go above and beyond. I'll make it up to him some how...maybe I'll let him tune my '96 5.7 Caprice...that ought to be good for 6 or 7 hundred bucks........naaaaah :&gt ;)
JP

TBC
07-27-2002, 20:31
I changed my trans filter about 2 hrs ago and darn near did not see the magnetic washer. It had fuzz on it. (15000 miles) This is just normal wear that occurs in mechanical devices. If you find chips or flakes then it is time to start being concerned.