PDA

View Full Version : paint for gauge pod

Sled boy
07-25-2002, 21:00
Having trouble getting paint for a 02 Dmax gauge pod. does anyone know were to get some in a spray can in med gray

GMC-2002-Dmax
07-25-2002, 21:14
Sled boy,

Try a Sherwin Williams auto paint distributor. You may be stuck having to get a pint mixed by a pro and spray it yourself or have it done.

GMC

[ 07-25-2002: Message edited by: GMC-2002-Dmax ]</p>

Paintdude
07-25-2002, 22:08
My guess is you will have to spray it with a spray gun with a type of interior paint from one of the major paint jobbers,Dupont,PPG,Sikens,etc..The worst part is having to buy a pint of paint for 30+ bucks to paint a small item..It really sux..You might try a craft or hobby shop and see if they have a flat color close to it in an areisol can for 5 bucks..

Ah, its just money.. ;)

Alli-max
07-25-2002, 22:33
Sledboy...

Talk to your local GM dealers.... I wanted a can from them to repaint my dash bezel (paint rubbing off) and there was none available.

BUT, he did say they contract a local guy to pick up plastic trim pieces once a week for painting. He said I could have the trim piece PROFESSIONALLY painted for about $15. Just a thought....

OR... goto a local auto paint supply store. They can match paint, and then put it in a spray can. Prolly couldnt sell you less than a pint, so back to square one... So, its either $30 - $40, or a big, ugly black pod looking at you!

ZFMax
07-26-2002, 13:25
I went to a PPG store, the guy came outside and looked in my glovebox at the options list, went back inside, mixed up the paint which he sold to me in a little can, also sold me some DT870 reducer and a little aerosol sprayer. Total was like $30 or so. At home, I just mixed the paint and reducer 50-50 in the sprayer and shot it, worked like a charm and matches great. It's also medium gray.

ZFMax
07-28-2002, 19:09
On the can of PPG paint that matches my interior, it says:

Deltron 2000
DBC
Basecoat
OEM:12 General Motors
DBI33870@12
Graphite (LG)

Plasticfantastic
07-29-2002, 12:49
I tried to get out cheap, bought an aerosol can at Autozone labeled "plastic interior paint" in tan. About $4. Works ok but the color is several shades off.
Wish I went the $30 route, maybe re-do this winter.

dschroeder
07-30-2002, 10:42
I found paint at a local paint supplier. I would suggest getting a plastic prep too. It looks kind of like clear coat going on. It helps bond the paint to the plastic. He had a can of paint on the shelf that matched just about perfect. I think it cost me about $12 with a can of plastic prep included. I would suggest trying to find a nice sized paint supplier who deals in automotive paints.

joed
07-30-2002, 13:39
Based on a previous suggestion on this site, when I did mine a couple years ago, I took my ashtray out and went to Home Depot and had the color scanned. They mixed me up a quart for less than $10 as I recall. It matched nearly perfectly - the only downside is you have to use a spray gun.

Ditto on the plastic prep as I didn't use any and paint does seem to chip easily if you are not careful.

Joe.

GMC-2002-Dmax
07-30-2002, 13:57
Hey everyone,

I had my POD and it was the stock black ABS, wanted the factory color but didn't want to spend the $40.00 on the pt. of vinyl paint with the reducer and then have to spray it from a gun.

Anyway I called one of the larger automotive shops in the "BIG CITY" 25 miles south of me and they were able to put the exact color CODE 12 for graphite in a 16 oz spray can for me. :D :D

Awsome color match and best of all it only cost me $21.15 !!!!

name of the paint on the can is OMNI-PAK Master Blend EZ-Touch.

Color code is DIA33870 Graphite.

email me for the name of the place, don't wanna offend our advertisers or moderators here,

GMC ;)

EMAIL - gmc2002duramax@earthlink.net