PDA

View Full Version : 02 D/A steering lockup with Brake on..Normal??

FisHn2DMax
02-11-2003, 22:02
I need some help to determine if any one else is having a steering lockup problem and if it is "normal"?

My brother has an 02 D/A CC with same 285 tires as mine. Since the day he drove the truck off of the lot, he noticed that when the engine is at idle speed and he applies his brakes the steering wheel will only allow him to turn a half turn and then lock. If he lets off the brake, he can again freely turn the wheel. It's almost like the Brake boost assist pulls from the P.S. pump? Wierd? This makes it really hard to back up a trailer when it locks up while turning. It drove me nuts trying to back up an enclosed snowmobile trailer in a tight spot. He's had this truck into the dealer many times, and they claim this is normal for an 01/02 and can NOT be fixed?

My 03 D/A does NOT exhibit this problem! Local Stealer claims it was fixed on the 03 models? Sounds like a bunch of B.S. to me! The O3 is not that much different than the 01 or 02, so why couldn't it be fixed?

Has anyone else every heard of or experienced this "steering lock problem" with brake applied at idle/low RPM? I would like to take your responses to the Stealer. Thanks for any feedback on this issue you can give.
:(

Paintdude
02-11-2003, 22:06
Yup, that is how these trucks are..I cannot explain it..I know one guy who had everything replaced and it is still the same way.. Must have something to do with the hydro boost brakes and the hydrolic steering using the same pump..

Kent Tuttle
02-11-2003, 22:53
I have an 02 and have not experienced this problem/condition. This sure does not sound normal to me :confused:

conradv
02-11-2003, 23:55
That sounds like a major safety issue to me. I live in the "hills" of northern Idaho. The lake next to my house is at 2100 feet and about as high as you can drive (right next to the lake) is about 6000 feet. There are some pretty good slopes.

Sounds stupid (but maybe not to GM?) that you couldn't turn the wheel at idle with the brakes applied....

mdadgar
02-12-2003, 01:03
I also have an '02 and it does not have this problem. I just backed my 22' enclosed trailer into a tight parking spot this afternoon. I certainly would have noticed behaviour like this.

- Mark

stretch
02-12-2003, 05:02
My 01 does the same thing, only on pavement and thats with the stock 245's. When I have the 265's on, the problem is even more prevelant. :mad:

hoot
02-12-2003, 07:42
My 01 does it and so did my 97 6.5TD with the same hyd assist setup.

I think the brake booster robs the pressure. I never came upon a dangerous situation but it is annoying when parking.

NickLeinonen
02-12-2003, 18:28
it is normal. for those with a slush box tranny, you can over come this problem when backing up a trailer by left foot braking. give a bit of throttle with the right [100-200 above idle], and brake with the left and the promlem will go away. idle does not provide enough flow through the pump to properly provide for the hydraboost and the power steering.

FisHn2DMax
02-12-2003, 18:56
Wow,

Now I'm really confused! Half of the responses so far indicate theirs doesn't do it, the others say it's normal or / and their truck exhibits this problem?

Is there anyone out there with an 03 that has steering lock problem at idle/low rpm with brake applied? My 03 doesn't do it, with large tires on sticky pavement. I've tried and mine on many different surfaces and it doesn't lock. My brothers 02 will lock everytime even on a wet smooth concrete surface. I'm trying to determine if GM really fixed the problem in the 03's and if so, how did they fix it? If we knew how GM fixed it, others with earlier HD models in theory should be able to use the 03 fix?

03 owners try to turn your wheels (full wheel)both direction at idle with brake on and report back.

Thanks,

;)

dmaxalliTech
02-12-2003, 19:29
Bad news is GM is aware of this condition but has not developed a fix for it. My 03 does do it, more noticable when I have plow on. previous posts are correct, P/S pump cant flow enough for both systems.

dmaxalliTech
02-12-2003, 19:40
Bad news is GM is aware of this condition but has not developed a fix for it. My 03 does do it, more noticable when I have plow on. previous posts are correct, P/S pump cant flow enough for both systems.

hoot
02-12-2003, 21:03
You're darn right they are aware of it. As far as a fix is concerned, forget it. It's been like this over many years. Apparently it's just not enough of an issue for them to go out and design a whole new major component. I'll bet they use the same exact parts on a multitude of vehicles. They probably went through some cheap fix ideas but didn't come up with a solution so some bean counter used the classic formula.....

How much does "x" number of lawsuits cost -vs- how much does a fix cost.....

Paintdude
02-12-2003, 21:21
I still say with all of the 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive trucks going with rack and pinion...Saginaw or whoever builds these steering boxes and the old ones are just getting even with GM..By building a inferior product..For loss in sales...Just think of all the cars and trucks that have changed over to rack and pinion..Many of the Z71`s have the pull to the right syndrome, we have the loose steering worm gear problem and the no power assist at idol problem..

wakely
02-14-2003, 13:03
Tried my truck this morning. I can push on the brakes and turn the steering wheel OK (lock to lock)! It does not lock up.
Don't know why, but last GMC truck I had locked up. I remember taking it into the dealer to complain (they did'nt know what to do)!!

kerry witherspoon
02-14-2003, 13:12
simple fix is to run pump faster with different pully. But the lack of flow for both is a problem that g.m should adress.

NCalDMax
02-14-2003, 16:38
FWIW, My '02 does not exhibit this behavior.

AbqGeorge
03-05-2003, 22:06
Thank goodness my '03 doesn't do it as I backup a lot with my fifth wheel attached and with my foot on the brake.

Thanks for that tip on using left-foot braking and a bit more throttle. Sounds like I may need it someday?

Holeshot
03-06-2003, 02:01
My 01 did it, really bad with the plow on. My 03 never did it till i lowered it, now its like the 01. Turn full lock on concrete it does it all the time, do the same on asphvalt and its like a craps game 50/50. Oh well I just sorta switched my driving style (its not really that good on the tires to turn them while standing still), now i just drive it like my beater with no power steering, and roll a little while im turnin.
later
Tony

Nixter
03-06-2003, 20:50
I noticed that my truck does exhibit this behaivior. I was trying to do a sixty point turnabout on a 20 foot wide snowmachine trail in my 22 foot monster. It wasn't dangerous at all, I was just trying to stay on the packed snow so that I wouldn't get stuck. I will be pulling trailers quite a bit this spring, so I will find out if this glitch is more than just an annoyance.--Nick

SoCalDMAX
03-06-2003, 23:54
Hmm.

Mine doesn't seem to do it. I've turned mine lock to lock repeatedly with the brakes on and no problems.???

Regards, Steve