PDA

View Full Version : right front hub seal #$%#$#@$!

ttpost
03-04-2005, 17:49
brakes went bad after 8k miles, going after the parts store for that. went to pull the hub off so i could turn the rotor which has 8k miles on it. pulled the rotor and the bearing and seal came out with it. got the bearing off and went to order new seal and guess what you cant get the @#$@#$@#$ seal only they want to sell you an assembly for 220.00.

does anyone have a suggestion on where i could get a seal. the bearing is good, i dont want to spend 220. for a 10.00 seal.
i have called everywhere i know of, and tried to get ahold of timken directly but they were closed. the seal is a timken and has part # as best i can tell is that it is either i or l b,or r or p, m 58000 the #'s are partially wore off. so it should read like irm 58000 thanks for any help

rjschoolcraft
03-04-2005, 18:06
Whats the GVW and is it a 4 wheel drive?

ttpost
03-04-2005, 18:09
i believe it is 8500 and it is 4wd it is an 8lug hub if that helps thanks

rjschoolcraft
03-04-2005, 18:37
Go to Chicago Rawhide's website (http://www2.chicago-rawhide.com/) and click on "Vehicle Service Market" at about the middle of the page. This will open a new browser window. Locate the compass logo in the lower right corner and click on "Login". You don't need a password or anything. Enter the pertinent descriptive information for your truck (it is an 8600 GVW) and a catalog of parts will come up. I think you want P/N 16116 based on your description. Click on the P/N and see if it looks like what you're after. You can see the hub assembly if you click on P/N BR930406 for more clarification.

Hope this helps.

ttpost
03-04-2005, 18:52
argghh ron that did give me hope except when i went there and clicked on what i needed it said some sort of fatal stacking error and wouldnt show me anything aarghrthar anyway i may have to wait till monday and call them thanks for your help

rjschoolcraft
03-04-2005, 19:05
Don't click the check boxes! There seems to be something wrong in their code there. If you scroll down after that page with the check boxes come up, you'll see a list of part numbers that are hyper links.

Try this link (http://www.e-webcatalog.com/cr-skf/PartForm.aspx?Part_No=16116;1852&Manuf_No=NA) for a picture of the seal and this one (http://www.e-webcatalog.com/cr-skf/PartForm.aspx?Part_No=BR930406;1636&Manuf_No=NA) for the hub assembly. After the browser window pops up, click on "Image Display" near the title bar.

Again, hope this helps.

ttpost
03-05-2005, 09:34
ronnie thanks for your help, unfortunately the seal i need is in the hub assembly, someone somewhere has it, they must manufacture it for the assemblies otherwise they couldnt make them. i will keep looking thanks for your help again

Kennedy
03-07-2005, 10:09
For future reference, I typically turn the rotor/hub/bearing as an assembly rather than taking them apart.

ttpost
03-07-2005, 13:15
yeah i figured that out, they do make the seal but they wont sell it to you, its really a pita.i have talked to timken and chicago rawhide.