PDA

View Full Version : filler neck hole???

buelldude
07-26-2002, 20:09
Hey,
Is there a way to open up the filler neck so I can use the bigger pumps(hose)at truck stops. It really sucks going slow(filling up)!!!!!

SDWA
07-26-2002, 21:19
Get the GM retrofit fillneck kit from Transferflow. Easy installation and it works great!

http://www.transferflow.com/html/gm_fillneck_kits.html

Scott

Paintdude
07-26-2002, 21:22
Go to www.transferflow.comthey have them..

New! Fast-filling Retrofit Fillneck Kit for stock OEM midship tank
Diesel
2001-02
020-01-11726
$87.21

I think I may take mine out and torch the hole out..

[ 07-26-2002: Message edited by: Paintdude ]</p>

Amianthus
07-26-2002, 23:13
Or, buy a Dodge!

Bwaaaaaahhhhhh hahahahahahahah!

Seriously, transferflow seems to be the best choice for your predicament. Most people that I know that have transferflow products, like them and they are well thought out. I don't think you'll be wasting the money at all on a new filler neck from them.

csimo
07-27-2002, 07:00
When I installed my Transferflow tank and filler kit I was suprised that the transferflow filler used the stock outer filler hose. I didn't look closely at the factory filler, but it seems that it would be possible to convert the factory filler to the same as the Transferflow.

Anybody try it?

Idle_Chatter
07-27-2002, 12:26
A couple of people on the dieselpage have cleared the restrictor out of the factory fill neck. Nels is one that I remember. Apparently, you can disassemble the factory filler by removing the screws in the fender and unclamping the hose from below. The restrictor in the filler has a long white plastic tube that extends down into the tank. Pull out and pull off the tube and then you can knock the restrictor out the bottom of the filler assembly using the open jaws of a vise and a large socket on an extension for a punch. Been meaning to to do it to my filler, but keep putting it off. I think that Nels mentioned that it didn't really reduce fill time or foaming, but at least the large nozzle will fit in the neck!

oneton
07-27-2002, 18:39
Funny?, I don't have a restriction on my filler neck. I've filled up on the large nozzels with no problem. The only thing I don't like is the angle of the nozzel when pumping. Other than that I'm happy.

TBC
07-27-2002, 20:22
Oneton

I agree. I can't understand what the others on the forum have been complaining about. My 2001 is stock and I have used the big pumps several times without not problem. I can't imagine some trucks coming with the big neck and others without.

mackin
07-28-2002, 05:44
You can fill up at the bigger nozzle pumps with the restrictor, as I do......The problem's I have is the nozzle will only go in till it hits the restrictor, which has caused a couple spills......In addition I can only have the pump on one click or it shuts off.....I have to stop procrastinating and knock the anti foam restrictor out ASAP.......I have ran into some larger (to say then the normal gassers) nozzles that will fit, but the a far and few between......

MAC

Nels
07-28-2002, 07:02
Yes, my 2001 had the 'restrictor' that you are talking about, although it was not meant to restrict anything. It was a cost saving measure. It was an attempt to add extra venting to the tank and reduce foaming while filling up. GM wanted to use the same fuel tank for both the gassers and the diesels. Since the venting was inadequate for the diesel foaming issue (and fast pumps), this clever design was meant to vent the tank by allowing an airflow around the outside of the center fill tube inside of the larger filler neck. Unfortunately, the big pump nozzles only fit just past the tip.

As 'Chatter said, I removed my restrictor. Remove the three screws holding the filler neck assembly to the sheet metal, along with the hose clamp on the back side. The filler is now free. Attached to the filler is about a 30" plastic inner hose that extends down the center of the outer filler tube. Take the whole works with you to the shop. Put it in a vise (loosly -- just lay it on the open jaws for support), then find a suitable size round bar, plug, socket, or what have you, to push the restrictor out the back side. It is only lightly crimped in place. Discard the restrictor and inner hose. You now have a larger opening in your filler that will accept the big hoses.

The only word of caution is concerning venting. Remember this setup was designed to aid venting. It will still be necessary to watch how fast you fill, especially with the big nozzles. If you fill at a fast enough rate to completely saturate the cross section of the large filler hose going to the tank from the filler door, there is no place to get sufficient quantities of air out of the tank, and it may 'burp' through the incoming fuel stream, making a mess on your shoes. The nice thing is that the big nozzle will at least fit now. If you go slowly with the big nozzle, it will work fine. The Transfer flow setup is a better answer though, if you want to spend the dime. Their filler adds external venting, which helps with the burping issue.

mackin
07-28-2002, 09:36
NO NEED TO BUY A DODGE !!!!!!!!!! tongue.gif

This is a very simple job as NELS mentioned . I did it this mourning in no time at all .......All though I opted to remove the whole fill ,cap and all...... You must remove the ground strap in order to take it to the vise,either way you remove it..... I used a 1/2" drive, 1 1/8" deep socket with an ext attached . Couple swift smacks with a hammer and out it came...... I get some PICS up in the misc. folder later......

MAC :D

[ 07-28-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

TBC
07-28-2002, 11:52
NELS

Your truck looks like mine except for the cab lights. The fuel mileage numbers are identical to what I have tracked. I made a trip of 3450 miles in mountains, desert and hills while towing my trailer of 8600 lbs and got 10.25 MPG average over the trip. Good info. Thanks.

Nels
07-28-2002, 12:52
Yes Mac, I glossed over a few details. I was going from memory. I did this a year ago.

TBC -- I have the long box, but the trucks are very much alike. I have only towed one load of over 6,000 lbs., and that was only for about 40 miles. Nothing to compare mileage with there. My normal trailer load is around 6,000 lbs., and I run trips of 1,200 to 1,500 miles. Making a run next weekend to Findlay, OH as a matter of fact (short trip this time). With that load I average 14.5 or so.

imported_
07-28-2002, 14:38
I installed the transfer flow fuel assembly,
but it didn't help any.It still burbs fuel out
unless you fuel real slow.The tranfer flow still
has a hose that runs down the center of the fill
hose,restricting filling just like the original.