PDA

View Full Version : newbie have ??? long

rdanley
08-22-2004, 17:42
hello guys & gals, i have just purchased a new 3500 drw 4x4 lly crew, the wife had alot to say in this matter due to the dodge not being comforable enough for her when we travel cross country. which i got to admit the lt series is plush for a truck. i am used to my ram with a 5speed so i am having to get used to the ally trans. i do have a ? or two. my first one is this when i am traveling down the road with my 20' goose car hauler with my tractor on back which totals out at about 7000 pounds. and i am running at 70 75 mph and i need to pass someone or i get blocked in traffic the tranny will not down shift to be able to get the power to get around it just slugs around. any ideas or is this how a auto works?? next ? is the fan clutch it seems to be kicking an awfull lot when i have the same load on it and i know this is robbing power. its got me concern cause i still havent put my fiver on back yet and i know if it is having a hard time handling the tractor it will not handle my fiver at 16000 pounds. like i said i am used to my 2500 ram and anything i hook up it just says is this all you can give me. now i will be putting a juice on it and as i have read that i should not go above level two ? it just seems to have alot of power loss at cruising speeds 70 75mph. :confused: any info please. but i guess the good thing is i still have the ram :D

BassinRVer
08-23-2004, 10:23
If you put your foot into her more she will shift into 4th gear. Without motoring exhaust temp do not go over level 2 when towing. The fan clutch is loud put I do not remeber it taking away power, I quess I have been juiced too long to remember. She will tow better with mileage so hang in there. At this years GTG the Duramax outpulled Ford and Dodge in stock trim and moded trim. GET the juice and guages and don't look back.

More Power
08-23-2004, 10:24
It's an RPM thing. The trans won't downshift if you're running at ~72 or above. The engine would be at/near the governor if it would downshift. Drop below 70, and it'll downshift.

The fan-clutch is basically doing what it should. On a hot day, the A/C condenser and intercooler are also putting more heat into the airflow through the various coolers, which affects fan-clutch engagement. Having it engage is a whole lot better than no engagement - just ask any of the 6.5 owners who have experienced engine overheating (because of an ineffective/inoperative fan-clutch).

MP

rdanley
08-24-2004, 04:14
thanks for the reply:

now then more power is there a way to take off the govenor?????

DarylB
08-25-2004, 00:10
It's an RPM thing. The trans won't downshift if you're running at ~72 or above. The engine would be at/near the governor if it would downshift. Drop below 70, and it'll downshift.
I think what MorePower was saying was that if the tranny downshifted @ or above 70MPH you'd be near or above the redline of the motor (3400 rpms?)

rdanley
08-27-2004, 18:57
ya that down shift really sucks. on my truck i have to be in the 60 to 65 mph range before it will down shift i uselly cruise at 70 to 75 mph loaded or unloaded traffic permitting. i am hopeing when i get my edge my power problems will go away. i am used to driving my ctd with the edge pulse set at three. but even before i did my mods on it it would flat out pull. it was not fast off the line but once she sets sail there is nonthing going to slow her down chip or not.