PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter looks brand new!!!!!

mackey_62
11-08-2002, 06:53
12,500 mi. Had some free time the other day.
So, swapped the fuel filter. Not too bad, went thru the top. Except for getting threads started, no problem. Oh yeah, had to make a nylon strap/wrench for it, bigger than I thought.

So, prior to removal, opened the water drain. If I had to guess, maybe a teaspoon of water. This is a completely unscientific measurement, just FYI. Spin filter off, look up thru bottom...hey nice and clean in there :D

So, like I said had some free time....just had to cut it apart. I am completely amazed how clean this thing was. From what I read, expected tons of sludge.......not a bit.
Pleats were barely discolored.

So at least I know(think) I'm getting good clean fuel. Just wanted to share w/you folks.

Carli_max
11-08-2002, 07:56
Hey Mackey,

Mine was pretty clean too. Where do you buy your fuel? I go through Verona everyday, so I usually get it at the Sav-on station there. They sell a lot of fuel there. When I changed mine, I also went from the top. I found that removing the battery, which takes only a minute, gives you lots of room to work! I used a filter wrench. Threading the filter on was the toughest part. Primed it a few times, and it started right up!! :D

mackey_62
11-08-2002, 08:47
Gotten at Sav-on a couple times, don't get over there too often.

About 90% of the time I get it at local convenient store, corner of Rtes. 291/365.
They do a pretty good volume considering where it is. Lots of truck traffic on 365.

letsgo
11-08-2002, 09:28
I changed my first filter at 12000 miles when I opened the filter drain cock for the first time only 2 drops of water came out (I assumed no water in the fuel I have been buying).

I cut the fuel canister in two and observed that only the bottom 1/2 was a discolored black and the top half was a discolored white, not what I had expected.

So I have to ask this question????? has my fuel filter been on BYPASS the whole time, but I just read there isnt a bypass so why is the filter so clean and no water?????????

This is the reply I got from my post above.

Spoolin'It
Contributor
posted 11-06-2002 12:29 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
letsgo,
What you saw is completely normal, as I have observed it in every fuel filter life test that I ever conducted. The fuel flow almost always starts at the bottom of the filter(depends on design) and works its way up as the media gets contaminated. The white was just the unused portion of the filter. If you noticed when you changed the filter there was a tube that went quite a ways into the center of the filter, its near the bottom of the media when installed and causes the suction pressure to be centered around there at the beginning of life. Had you ran the filter longer the media would have been used and coated entirely as you expected to find. Mine was around 3/4 used when I changed at 13k.
--------------------

2002 Chevy 2500HD D/A Ext Cab 4X4 LT Forest Green/Charcoal Leather.BFG All-Terrain KO 265/75/16's

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ 11-08-2002: Message edited by: letsgo ]</p>

DmaxMaverick
11-08-2002, 16:34
mackey_62, Carli_max

It's great that your filters looked good. Unfortunately, what you are looking at is the "clean" side of the element. If you had seen anything discouraging, you would really have problems. You have to disassemble the filter to observe the "dirty" side of the element. The fuel flows from the outside-in. This is true of 99.9% of all cylindrical filter elements.

I too change the filter from the top. I don't remove anything (except the filter, of course). It would be easier to access it with the battery, etc. removed, but when I do a scheduled change, I have the time to take. If I ever have to do an incidental change, it's not likely that I will have the time or facility to do it the "easy" way. I've gotten quite proficient at it after 5 changes so far (50K on the clock). I change the filter at 10K intervals and it takes me about 10 minutes from engine off, to running again.

Also, it has been said that prefilling the filter is recommended. This is not true. If you fill the filter, you are putting unfiltered fuel into the "clean" side of the element. Lately, the quality of unfiltered fuel is highly questionable. The built-in primer does a very good job of priming and bleeding.

Cheers

rberner
11-10-2002, 09:52
I guess I had better change my filter I have 29,000 miles on it and haven't changed it yet with no problems. What problems can arise other than losing power if it gets to dirty. Have not drained it for water either. Isn't there a light that comes on if there is to much water in the filter?

chipper
11-10-2002, 12:28
reberner,
I let my fuel filter go 23,500 miles because I used nothing but "clean" truck stop fuel, mostly Flying J.At 23,500 it shut me down from 1st power loss to dead in the water in 75 miles. My new policy is change every 20,000 "whether it needs it or not." Nothing like changing the filter along side the road in the middle of the desert in your Sunday clothes.

Diesel_Lawyer
11-10-2002, 16:22
I changed my fuel filter this weekend, 2002 D/A crew cab with A/C. Took out the battery, not a drop of water came out the drain, used some grease to hold the large O-ring in place and screwed on the new filter without any fuel in it. After priming started right up.

The old filter looked pretty clean. When I dumped the fuel in the filter into a bucket, about a quarter teaspoon of large particulate matter settled to the bottom.

But one question, the water sensor/drain was totally plastic and seemed flimsy. Does anyone know the part number for this unit. I would like to have a spare one around.