PDA

View Full Version : WIX Oil Filter

gregmican
11-08-2002, 18:58
I bought a WIX oil filter today and I was wondering if anyone else has used these on their Duramax? I usually just pick up the AC Delco filter but my local Orielly was fresh out. Given WIX's reputation for making a good filter I bought one. I'm sure it will be ok, any feedback?
GREG M.

stutzismydog
11-08-2002, 20:21
You don't get much better than WIX #57202 for our Dmax. I use Wix filters on all of my equipment.

Reno DMAX
11-08-2002, 20:31
gregmican,

I just installed a WIX 800 miles ago for the same reason as you. I haven't had any problems.

I did order a case of of AC Delco PF2232 filters from ac-direct.com ($8.75 each) just so I wouldn't have to keep going to the auto parts store. Also bought a case of the Allison spin-ons.

JEBar
11-08-2002, 21:35
Wix makes the CarQuest filters ... all I have used since owning our 3500 ... Jim

gregmican
11-08-2002, 22:47
Thanks guys, makes me feel better about my choice.

jbplock
11-09-2002, 06:56
I have also used WIX filters for years. They are excellent filters. However, if you go by the specs, the BALDWIN B1441 is the best one I have found for the the Duramax (so far).

I sent emails to AC Delco, Baldwin, Wix and AMSOIL requesting filter % efficiency ratings in microns for their DMAX OIL filters. All responded except AMSOIL.

Here are the numbers I was quoted.
AC DELCO PF2232: 25 microns nominal, 40 microns absolute (Beta numbers not stated)
WIX 57202 13 micron nominal (50%, Beta =2) and 37 micron absolute (98.7%, Beta = 75)
Baldwin B1441: 8 micron nominal (50%, Beta =2) and 23 micron absolute (98.7%, Beta = 75)
AMSOIL SDF-52: No response - May be identical to B1441 since Baldwin is OEM for AMSOIL

So far the Baldwin B1441 has the best rating. An AC UltraGuard Gold or Mobil-1 (both made by Champion) might be better but I haven’t been able to find them specified for the Duramax.

I bought the B1441 at local auto parts store for $7.50. Probably could find them cheaper in quantity.

OC_DMAX
11-09-2002, 09:38
Bill,

I have followed several threads where you posted performance information on various oil filters. I appreciate you taking the time and effort to obtain the data and posting it to this forum.

I have a question or two for you. First, why do you think Amsoil will not divulge data on their oil filters. If they are producing a superior product (at least their web site would lead you to believe that) then why not show how much better their filters are relative to others? The Amsoil web site depicts the performance of their filters using percentage numbers, not performance data stated in absolute numbers. Second, have you considered putting on your DMAX a standalone oil bypass filter (not Amsoil BMK-17)?

It is interesting following the various threads on this forum in regard to filters. Since it is a given that we have to change oil and filter, we might as well choose the best filter available. It is just a little murky trying to figure out which one that is.

Regards,
Alan

jbplock
11-09-2002, 11:02
Alan,

Let me say first that I’m not an expert on this subject and I have learned - the hard way - that a little knowledge can be dangerous. Having said that, I think the reason filter vendors are hesitant or vague is that it’s easy to misinterpret the specs. Just saying a filter is 2 microns doesn’t mean anything unless you know the test procedure that was used. I just sent another request to AMSOIL for their specs and if/when I hear anything I’ll post them. Personally I’m sold on using a Bypass filter. I had one on my 98 and confirmed that it was working with before and after oil analysis. The Amsoil BMK-17 is very good bypass set up and it’s probably what I will end up with because it’s a nice clean installation. One thing about the BMK-17 that concerns me is the “Large” SDF26 filter. If you plan on doing extended drains then you need that big filter, but I’m personally not comfortable with going more than 7500 miles between changes … and then only with synthetic oil and analysis to confirm it’s a safe interval. There are some smaller filters that will fit in place of the SDF26, but they would have to have the right internal by-pass and burst pressure ratings. Ideally I would like to just add a By-Pass (like the Amsoil BMK-11 with a B100 filter) and use the OEM full flow in the stock location. But, I haven’t found a method I feel comfortable with to tap the oil flow for the by-pass on a 46k$ truck under warranty. On my 98 6.5TD I used a COMO adapter (from JK) that sandwiched between the OEM filter and base. It had two 1/8 pipe fittings that I ran to a 2 micron (nominal) Baldwin B50 setup using some Parker hose and hydraulic fittings. I should have kept it because it had the same thread size as the OEM Duramax filter, but it went with the 98 when I sold it. Last I heard the COMO adapter is no longer available.
The only way to be really sure that your filter(s) is doing it’s job is to run oil analysis and even that is open to debate.

My friends tell me to “just drive that truck”, but I get a kick out of this stuff.

jbplock
11-13-2002, 17:36
Received this disappointing (non-answer) answer from AMSOIL Tech support. I asked them for performance specs on their SDF52, SDF26 and BE100 filters. Parameters requested were nominal and absolute micron/beta rating, burst pressure, and internal bypass pressure ( SDF52/26).

“From: Wallace, Darryn Tech@Amsoil.com
sent: Monday, November 11, 2002 2:31 PM
Subject: RE: AMSOIL Product Question (fwd)

The SAEJ806 test method is now used to measure overall efficiency, capacity,
and service life. When tested, it had more capacity than other filters on
the market and the synthetic media lasted longer. AMSOIL does not have
anything to hide. We simply do not quote beta ratios as it is an obsolete
test method. It also does not give you any performance information in terms
of filter life or capacity. Other filter companies may supply the old test
results just because they had them and know this information does not tell
much about the filter's capacity and overall efficiency”

moisheh
11-13-2002, 20:17
I think that Amsoil does not make their own oil filters. Anyone know this for sure?

jbplock
11-14-2002, 09:41
Baldwin makes AMSOIL Filters.

56Nomad
12-10-2004, 08:33
Hi Bill,

I've gone thru my case of AC oil filters and wanted to
consider buying some STP filters.

You wrote:

AC DELCO PF2232: 25 microns nominal, 40 microns absolute (Beta numbers not stated)
WIX 57202 13 micron nominal (50%, Beta =2) and 37 micron absolute (98.7%, Beta = 75)
Baldwin B1441: 8 micron nominal (50%, Beta =2) and 23 micron absolute (98.7%, Beta = 75)
AMSOIL SDF-52: No response - May be identical to B1441 since Baldwin is OEM for AMSOILDo you know who makes STP filters or have the
data on their filtration specs.

Thanks,

Howard

jbplock
12-10-2004, 09:21
Howard,

Accoring to the following link STP filters are made by Champ Labs.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Champ is the OEM for many brands of filters including AC and Mobil-1. I have contacted them a few different times and they have always been very helpfull. I would suggest you try contacting them for specs on the STP filter (if they do make it) ... http://www.champlabs.com/ Let us know what you find...

smile.gif