PDA

View Full Version : Dealer maintenance...ouch

Texas Bulldog
02-12-2003, 23:16
Took my baby to the dealer today to get oil changed, I furnished the rotella, fuel filter change and transmission filter and fluid changed. $268.30 later I have decided that it's time to start doing my own maintenance. I am new to this board and will probably need some help when time comes to do more maintenance. I drive 4-5k per month so I will probably become adept at it pretty quick.
I have almost 40k on the truck and it has been the best truck I have ever owned, I kind of feel cheated that I didn't have any warranty work done on the truck while under the 36k basic warranty and hope I never have to use the additional warranty on the engine and tranny, but nice to know it's there.
Any advise on where to purchase oil and fuel filters ?

ChopperBill
02-12-2003, 23:38
Just did my own today for the first time. Oil, filter, trans filter, fuel filter, diff lube. Probably was the easiest service I have ever done. Of course I got to use the lift in my buddys truck shop. The stubborn oil filter I heard about came right off, and have the Fumoto drain valve. But did have a heavy duty truck filter wrench. Trans filter took less time than it takes to talk about it. Diff was the same way. Ah! The fuel filter took as long as the rest of the truck all together. Didn't remove the inner fender like some folks and didn't have the use of my light duty strap wrench and their heavy duty strap wrench was bit of a hassle to use. All in all it was a good experience and I probably saved a weeks wages!

DMAX4LIFE
02-13-2003, 11:25
Where are you from in TX? I'm up here in the panhandle where the weather is unpredictable, but I would sure like to move south.

-Corey

dmaxalliTech
02-13-2003, 15:24
Its good you guys are doing your own maint work. it is very expensive to have us at the dealer do it. LOF with non-synthetic at our shop is 45.00 and synthetic lof with delvac is 145.00. fuel filter would cost you 60.00 part plus 40.00 labor. I would install deep allison pan if you have pan off anyways, besure to get deepsump filter if you do. diff service is easy with the drainplug in the rear axle...

GMC-2002-Dmax
02-13-2003, 16:25
Sounds like a lot of people are getting beat up by the stealer.

This is my last bill fom the dealer

LOF, test antifreeze 33 m a .40 -labor $10.45
GM - 11 quarts 15w40 diesel motor oil - $20.90
GM 88917036 - Filter $14.47
Tire rotation 33 m a .20 - $17.00
Replace customer supplied fuel filter .30 - $21.30

Total - $84.12

Ct tax @ 6% %.05

Total Due - $ 89.17

if I just get a LOF it is only $48.57 and the stealer is supplying it all.

GMC

:eek: