PDA

View Full Version : 246 t-case problem

JMZ
11-07-2004, 17:08
My first t-case ran low on oil. I bought another one with 40K on it . It acts like it wants to engage into auto 4x4 mode on its own, it makes a horrible noise when going down the road when this happens. I pulled the fuse for the 4x4 thinking it would quit. It still did it. I was also wondering if anybody has swapped out ther 246 for a diferent case, theres got to be a way. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

diesel65
11-07-2004, 18:23
I have seen a few tranfer cases making noise because they break the snap-ring on the output shaft.
To verify you need to remove the driveshaft then remove the four bolt that hold the tailshaft housing, then inspect the snap ring that is on the shaft against the output shaft bearing.
If the snap ring breaks the output shaft will slide forward inside the transfer case, causing the gears to grind.

Dihrdbowti
11-08-2004, 17:49
When I bought my Yukon the transfer case went within hours of buying it. Bad thing was I was in Michigan and needed to get to Reno Nv. When I took it to the tranny shop he said there was an issue with these losing oil and wearing out teflon pads on the forks then it just chews up the ends of the forks yada yada yada. I got lucky and the broker split the cost of the rebuild with me. So I asked teh shop to rebuild the tranny also. Why not he was doing it at cost because the broker sends a lot of business his way. So full rebuild around $850ish.

DA BIG ONE
11-08-2004, 19:22
A new NP 246 is under $1,000. @ transfercases.com

JMZ
11-09-2004, 08:32
Thanks everybody! I was at 873.58 for a 40 k T-case!!!!!!!!!! I wish I would have known about the new ones at that time. The Chevrolet garage here in town said a new one was 3K . Transfer case express told me they sell to chevrolet. I am ordering a new one today. iam getting my money back on the one I just bought. :D :D :D

DA BIG ONE
11-09-2004, 10:10
Originally posted by JMZ:
Thanks everybody! I was at 873.58 for a 40 k T-case!!!!!!!!!! I wish I would have known about the new ones at that time. The Chevrolet garage here in town said a new one was 3K . Transfer case express told me they sell to chevrolet. I am ordering a new one today. iam getting my money back on the one I just bought. :D :D :D Glad to have helped!