PDA

View Full Version : 03 EGT/BOOST GAUGE LOCATIONS?

matt-max
11-09-2002, 08:27
so who has been inventive enough to come up with a good spot for egt and boost gauges with the new interior?

a-pillar? is there a new panel that does not interfere with the bose tweeter and matches the new neutral interior color?

overhead console? is there a panel made that can be placed into the cubby hole up there to mount two gauges in? (does this mean i will need to find another spot for my sunglasses?)

either of the two cubbies in the lower console that seem to swallow my pda and phone so well?

anyone?

thanks
matt

Toddster
11-10-2002, 12:23
Matt, I e-mailed Autometer with this pillar/tweeter question. If there is one available I will post the part #

pitboss
11-10-2002, 12:46
I had them in an Autometer full pillar overlay on my 02. Dealer's swapping them to my 03 using same part# as 02, just cutting a small hole for the tweeter. Are you saying the 02 overlay won't fit 03, or the tweeter's a problem (don't see why based on location of tweeter vs. gauges), or you just don't want a pillar setup?

matt-max
11-10-2002, 13:40
hey, thanks for the replies, guys.

toddster, thanks for doing the legwork on this. i didn't know autometer made the trim piece/gauge mount. i'm sure if the old one does not work that they will make one eventually.

pitboss, i mainly wanted to see what had been done by someone else and see what feedback they might have as well as have a look at a couple pics preferably.

what do you think of the a-pillar mount? obviously it's not too bad or you would not be re-using it, eh?

matt

Diesel Duck
11-11-2002, 07:19
I have a '03 inbound that I would like to mount gauges in as well. I would prefer mounting it in the overhead console or under the dash. Has anyone seen a setup similar to that?

hoot
11-11-2002, 09:16
I've got the SPA dual digital DG-211. I love it but if you plan on overhead mounting, these gauges are hard to read from below. The LCD display has great contrast and is easy to read except when viewing from below. They are designed with a viewing bias from above.

matt-max
11-11-2002, 16:44
thanks hoot. that is exactly the type of info i was looking for!

i like the features with the digital gauge but and considered it up in the console cubby but can see how it would not be easily readable.

with the concerns over the isspro squeal issue it is starting to look like i'll go with a 2 gauge pod for the a-pillar and some autometers.

i would really rather go with the console mount as it looks more factory and does not draw attention or look like an afterthought, though...

matt

hoot
11-11-2002, 17:13
Glad to be of help matt.

I would hate to see anyone buy the SPA with the intention of mounting them above. They would be dissapointed.

I'm not exceptionally tall (average) so even with the pillar mount I added an angle ring for better viewing. When viewing from slightly above on up, the display is excellent.

hoot
11-11-2002, 17:45
Here's a console insallation....

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=232625&uid=131164

Diesel Duck
11-12-2002, 21:16
Thanks Hoot,

I never thought about the gauges being hard to read if mounted up high! I'm glad to hear that it's not a good idea for that product.

Joe

matt-max
11-12-2002, 21:54
i really like the look of that cubbyhole install much better. i think that will replace my two hard revo sunglass cases i have been leaving up there (because there is no freakin room in the console for anything but change pens and cd's...which is a worthwhile tradeoff for the subwoofer and kick ass sound of the xm or cd's on the bose.

the sunglasses can't stay there without me fashioning a mini-bungie system to keep the in place. twice in the last two days i've launched them into the backseat with scary velocity by punching it from low speeds. damn good thing i didn't have any passengers!!

matt

Kennedy
11-13-2002, 00:04
I have two SPA DG-211's in my OH console and have NO problem seeing them. The actual wiewing angle is a downward angle as the panel slopes forward somewhat at the bottom.

CSDMAX
11-13-2002, 08:36
matt-max,

I have the Dakota Digital gauges up in my overhead console as does Tinbender and now maybe a few others. If the overhead is the same size for the 03's as the 02's you will have no problems.

hoot
11-13-2002, 08:55
John Kennedy said the overhead console is angled down. I don't have that so I didn't realize it.

Sorry for misguiding.

CntrlCalDmax
11-13-2002, 09:30
I installed a Xmonitor from BD in the overhead angled toward the driver. Readability is very good. Pictures at:
http://www.corpair.com/dmax/xmonclose.htm

hoot
11-13-2002, 10:41
CntrlCalDmax,

Look good. Looks like a factory installation. What's the "Turbo" reading? Is that for temp?

Silver Bullet
11-13-2002, 15:49
matt-max,
Sunglasses solution...you can get a visor clip to hold your sunglasses. Go to sunglasshut.com and do a keyword & catalog search on "visor". This is the best $6 I have spent in a long time!

As far as the gauges...the options I have seen are the a-pillar, storage hole by the a/c controls, overhead center console, and CD storage compartment. They all look good...just depends on you preference. I was leaning towards console, but have decided I would like the gauges up higher for easier viewing. That brings me back to the a-pillar and the overhead console. I am currently leaning towards the a-pillar.

CntrlCalDmax
11-14-2002, 15:20
hoot,

B-PSI is exhaust back pressure for the exhaust brake, PYRO is EGT, TURBO is boost.

Leo

Toddster
11-14-2002, 17:24
CCD, that is an awsome installation ! Can you share how you did it ? I am now considering the X-Box cuz there is no full pillar currently available for the 03 with the tweeter. Who sells the x- box at a reasonable price ?

CntrlCalDmax
11-14-2002, 19:02
Toddster,

I purchased mine from a local store, Golden State Peterbilt (559-442-1490). They had it in stock at a better price than BD. You can also by direct from BD. If you don't have an exhaust brake you can get it with a temp indicator instead of the back pressure indicator and measure oil temp or rear end temp or ....

Originally I cut a hole in the panel and mounted the indicator to the back side. It looked really good but I couldn't read the information very well unless I leaned over to the center.
So....
I fabricated a mount out of 1/8" and 1/4" black opaque plexiglass angled at the driver to mount the indicator to, cut a hole in the panel plug and glued it to the back of the panel. The indicator is only about 3/8 inch thick, 3.2 or so inches long and about 1.25 high. The trickiest part was making some bellcranks and pivots to be able to actuate the two selector buttons. One selects modes and the other clears the max readings and changes the alarm setting. The signal conditioner is mounted under the panel on the drivers side.

Leo

[ 11-14-2002: Message edited by: CntrlCalDmax ]</p>

CntrlCalDmax
11-14-2002, 19:07
BTW, if I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't bother with the buttons. After I figured out how I wanted everything set I haven't mess with them since. It would save a lot of time to set them before the final install and forget it. If you wanted to change something, just pull the one screw, drop the console and make your changes.

Leo

[ 11-14-2002: Message edited by: CntrlCalDmax ]</p>

Diesel Duck
11-17-2002, 17:44
CSDMAX, Where did you but the Dakota Digitals? Are they made to fit into the upper console without cutting, etc? They look neat...I'd like to find out more about them. smile.gif