PDA

View Full Version : No More Tick!

esmo77
07-28-2002, 09:55
I had a 2001 2500 6.0 and didn't especially like the cold start tick. Got a Duramax and what do you know, tick, tick, tick. I changed the oil and filter today at 3200 miles and took her for a spin, just enough to heat her up. Guess what?? The tick was gone. I used a NAPA brand filter (made by Wix) and Rotella 15W40 oil. This even changed the smell of the exhaust. The oil filter was a real challenge to remove. I used a filter strap and ended up having to break out the 14" channel locks. Installed the Fumoto drain valve and correct filter tightening. Really love the truck, mileage, power, etc. Pulls the toys just fine. Best mileage to date 19.6 mpg empty and 13.5 towing the camper.
2002 D/A Ext. cab 2500 4x4 Summit White
Husky Liners, Westin Step rails, Tekonsha Brake controller, Fumoto drain valve. No performance parts "Yet".

30FK tag along
2001 Rancher
87' Softail

afp
07-28-2002, 10:19
Esmo,

Don't be suprised if the tick returns. In searching this issue, I've found that the tick is very intermittent and random. I have always had the tick (randomly and intermittently), and began noticing it more after changing the oil at 2200 miles with Delo 400.

There is a guy here who's kept track of the tick vs various brands of oil, and so far, he seems to be the one with most consistent results. There is a type of oil (wasn't Rotella) he used where he didn't get any tick at all. However, when he changed the oil with a different brand the tick returned.

Blaine

Texas Rancher
07-28-2002, 12:11
On our farm and ranch we use a lot of 15/40 engine oil. We purchase 400 gallons at a time, and have it delivered for a great price. The oil that we use it Texaco Super Ursa 15/40. When I first got our pickup, it had the ever-so-popular tick. I changed the oil at 500 miles. I put the Ursa 15/40 in it, and I also added a product called Power-Up. Power-Up is very pricey, and it is added to the engine oil at 1 oz per quart of oil. It is much like STP. Anyway, since then, I have heard NO tick whatsoever. Is it the oil? Is it the Power-Up? I do not know, but I sure like the absence of the ticky clatter. The Power-Up is added to a lot of rear end diffs, gearboxes, and a lot of other stuff around our ranch. I think it works, and it surely has something to do with the absence of the tick on our truck..I am not a salesman for the product, and don't even know if they are in business anymore. I will be trying some STP when I run out of Power-Up.. In general, I call these kind of additives "Snake Oil"--but I am a believer in Power-Up, STP, Sta-bil, and Marvel Mystery Oil!! :D

JohnnyR
07-28-2002, 17:10
I have 42,000 miles on my 2001 Duramax/Allison. Change the oil and filter every 300 miles with Delo 400 and had the tick intermittantly. Last change, I tried Valvoline Premium Blue 15W-40, product # VV 389. Have about 2000 miles on this change and it hasn't ticked yet. I tried it because 2 buddies of mine with Dodge/Cummins were complaining that the Delo 400 was smoking out their breather tubes and smelling like ****. Seems to have stopped with the Valvoline.

esmo77
07-29-2002, 16:46
THANKS FOR THE REPLIES. THE TEMP. WAS 100 TODAY AND THE INDEX WAS 105, THE AC WAS ON. THE TRUCK NEVER RAN SMOOTHER OR QUIETER. SO FAR NO TICK. ACCORDING TO THE TRIP METER I MAY BREAK MY 19.6 THIS TANK FULL.

Russ Denman
07-29-2002, 20:26
About 2 months ago one of the members suggested that it was air in the oil filter. I didn't have the tick until I changed the oil the first time. I tried to fill the filter as full as possible before installing but spilled some out when I put it on. The tick lasted about 200 miles and I haven't had it since.

I don't see how the brand of oil can cause or prevent the tick. With the filter mounted like it is, it could very well be trapped air causing the tick. :eek:

[ 07-30-2002: Message edited by: Russ Denman ]</p>

Big-Popper
08-01-2002, 21:53
I heard mine tick when it was new. I changed the oil (Del 1300) Still ticks. I dont really care it doesnt hurt anything. These trucks are running for 100`s of thousands of miles. Just try to ignore it. Just my opinion. smile.gif

SoCalDMAX
08-02-2002, 00:48
Most people hear the tick immediately after an oil change for a few hundered miles or so, I do as well.

Mdrag has been alternating between dino and synthetic oil to test his theory, and every time he uses synthetic, the tick is gone.

Here's a *SWAG*: Perhaps the additives used to give dino oil it's viscosity range is not quite as good as synthetic. So the dino oil acts a little thicker and "ticks" as the bearings spin. This wears off as the oil thins a little. Synthetic is "purer" and thinner, thus no tick to begin with... just guessing out loud. smile.gif

I don't know squat about oil, I just know what I hear on my own truck and believe what's been posted here.

Regards, Steve

IndigoDually
08-02-2002, 05:30
Steve, NOPE. Mine ticks with Amsoil synth 15w40 and Delvac 1300, and Rotella, and Delo. The tick seems to go away with the stink of the new oil.

SWAG, Tick and Stink are there to verify that the oil was actually changed. :D Sounds as good as any other theory.

John

On Edit. The Tick does go away with the removal of the ignition key. ;)

[ 08-02-2002: Message edited by: IndigoDually ]</p>