PDA

View Full Version : First oil change: A nightmare

bora
07-28-2002, 18:04
I changed for the first time the oil in the Duramax. It took me two hours to get the damn filter off. I tried two different filter wrenches, and finally drove a screw driver
through the filter and manage to loosen it.

I can not believe how tight it was on there.

It is supposed to be 1.25 turns past the point of contact, I can't believe the gorilla at the factory that put this on.

Besides the filter, I put in the new fumoto valve, ensuring that it is snug but did not torque it that much since I could not get a torque wrench on it. No leaks after a brief drive, so must be tight enough.

I also manage to find all 11 chassis lube points and pumped a bit of lube in there.
The ball joints were already full of grease
so not much lube in there, ditto for the tie rods.

I could not figure out how much grease to put into the round metal cylinder on the right hand side of the car, so I squeezed the trigger four times on it, Did not see the boot at the bottom of it move, but I figured that 4 is better than none.

To get at the three interior lube points, I had to take the radiator cover off and even with that it was still pretty tight. Next time, I am going for a right angle fitting.

Jackmchome
07-29-2002, 16:41
You will need 6mm zirc fittings for the grease points. If you tightened the new filter any more than 3/4 turn after first touch you will probably have just as much trouble getting if off on your next change.

esmo77
07-29-2002, 17:10
I CAN ATTEST TO THE FILTER REMOVAL NITEMARE. I WAS ONCE A SERVICE TECH FOR SEVERAL MAJOR CARRIERS AND A VERY SNUG HAND TIGHTENING IS SUFFICE. THE FOMOTO ON THE 4WD IS A MUST. NORMAL HIGHWAY USE IMO GERASE EVERY SECOND OIL CHANGE. GOOD LUCK WITH THE SUPERIOR PRODUCT WE ALL OWN.

mdrag
07-29-2002, 18:14
I think the Dmax filters are self tightening :eek: Every time I change mine, they are just as hard to take off. I've tried 1 turn and 1.25 turns past gasket contact, and even used a torque wrench to the correct specs...still a bear to remove the next time.

[ 07-29-2002: Message edited by: mdrag ]</p>

bora
07-29-2002, 18:24
I did the 1.25 turns after contact.

Oh well, I don't need to do another change till
probably end of august. By that time, I am hoping
to get an oil filter wrench from Facom
(griot's garage) that is supposed to be real good.

We shall see.

Bora

mackin
07-29-2002, 19:28
I wonder if we are over looking the obvious,and it's a HEAT expansion thing......I'm sure most of us, well I do, change when smoking hot, to get a good drain......Has anyone attempted to loosen cold? Because I agree with Mdrag on the self tightening, Whew, every time .......

MAC :eek:

tmg115
07-29-2002, 19:47
i drian my oil cold and it is still very hard to get off. but i also have a shop full of tools for me to use too so it aint that bad :D

Piney
07-29-2002, 22:42
bora,

I see that you've listed OEM running boards on your truck...and I'm wondering what they look like...

SDWA
07-30-2002, 00:44
Every time I've changed (since the first unbelievably intact filter) I've used a torque wrench just for curiosity, tightening to 20 ft/lbs. And every time I have to take it off it's like it's welded on. The filters have come off looking like hourglasses by the time I've destroyed them with chain-type and channel-lock type filter wrenches. I still can't figure out why the hell they get like that. Even tried greasing the seal before the last one and it was STILL almost impossible. I was lying on my back pushing the truck up a good 2-3" trying to get that one off!

Scott

Silver Bullet
07-30-2002, 10:21
My current filter is hand tight with no leaks...I'll see how hard it is to get off in a couple weeks.