PDA

View Full Version : What would you do next time?

tanker
08-30-2004, 01:37
What would you change, if you bought another Durmax? What options would you have bought? What options would you delete? Any differances between a GMC/Chevy, other than labels and grill? Interior?
We are thinking ahead, and would like some input into what should be ordered on the purchase of a new Duramax.
Thanks from a 6.5 owner.
;)

DmaxMaverick
08-30-2004, 03:00
Excellent topic.

When I ordered mine, I selected just about every comfort option available. SLT Sierra with all the bells and whistles.

Difference between GMC/Chevy is preference and service. If you don't have a good GMC shop around, you better go with Chevy. I got lucky having a good GMC dealer. The Chevy dealer here sucks!!! Many GMC dealers are also Med/Heavy duty shops, so the savy is different. Good or bad, depending on where you are when you need service.

When delivered, it didn't have the trailering option, camper wiring, heated mirrors/rear glass, or deap tinted glass, like I ordered it. It was ordered in April of 2000 and delivered in November. The items were on the order sheet, but removed by the plant for some reason or another. It didn't seem like a big deal at the time, and they didn't charge me for them.

It didn't turn out so bad.
I upgraded the mirrors by buying a set from a fellow DP'er back east for half the price I would have payed for the option, including having to buy a new HVAC control head. I don't miss the heated rear window. I DO miss the deap tint glass. I will be upgrading that if I keep the truck.
I was glad I didn't get the trailering option. For about the same price as the option, I installed a Draw-Tite class V hitch that I don't worry about. The dealer I bought the truck from paid for it and threw in a brake harness, for my "inconvenience". I would not have used the Camper wiring (5th wheel connector) as I installed the connector behind the rear fender. It's much better than in front of it, and I would have had to run a bunch of wires. With it between the fender and tailgate, the wires were short and easy to splice into the rear harness, already in place.

I had never had heated seats in a vehicle before this one and swore I would never need or want them. Now, you'd have a fight on your hands if you tried to get 'em from me. I used to say the same thing about wheel guns until I shot a Glock .40!

Things I wish I ordered, or was available at the time:
Stearing wheel audio and cruise controls.
Dual alternators. Or at least the 130 Amp. (!!!) I'll take care of all that after the bank gives up the title...real soon.

It also has Onstar. This is the first year I didn't renew it. In the past, I did use it for diagnostic, phone and lock out. It was handy and practical, but I just couldn't pry my wallet open to do it. I will probably renew it in the future.

As far as things I wish I didn't order?
Can't think of a thing. Maybe I got lucky, but everything has worked as advertised. Well, almost. Shocks suck, but not for long.

I also got a 5 year, 100K extended warranty. Costly, but half the price if you get it when you sign the paperwork. The price is negotiable if you demand it right before you sign. Great peace of mind. Just pay it and don't look back!

I have over 75K on it now and don't regret it at all. I only wish some of the options available on the newer trucks were available then. That's another list.

I've had all the Diesels all the manufacturers had to offer since they put Diesels in pickups, even a P'Up. Except for the VW. You won't be disapointed if you take it for what it is. Not a problem for you, being a 6.5 owner. Ain't we a glutten for punishment? Nothing better when they work right, though! Best one was/is my '85. Jury is still out on the '01. I'll let you know when I hit 500K. Hope I live that long.

Whew! Somebody shut me up. Need sleep!

Idle_Chatter
08-30-2004, 03:30
I "impulse bought" mine off the lot and couldn't resist the price, options, and zero APR. Love the truck and wouldn't change a single thing about it, but, if I were to make a more thoughtful purchase or to order one I would definitely opt for the long bed versus short box. Still think the extended cab suits my purposes better than the crew, but wish I had the 8 foot bed for occasional slide-in camper hauling.

TSimpler
08-30-2004, 04:52
Dual electrical banks, IE 7 wire pigtail into the cab with 4 keyed hot and 3 all time hot.
Dual alternators
Seat heaters
NO PUSH BUTTON 4X4, get the stick on the floor
Deleat the carpet, it just gets funky
Bose sterio
Power flodong mirrors
all skid plates they offer

Trent

Dewey Faircloth
08-30-2004, 06:38
Tanker,
Will let you know my own situation.
I ordered a 1994 GMC 2500 Suburban 6.5 TDand now have 195,000 miles and still very happy with it.
Ordered it 1st Sept 93 picked up 24th Jan 94.It had every thing just as ordered and nothing I didn't want.
Bought 2000 Chevy 2500 new and had things never use,trading it in soon.Deal is made.
Ordered a 2005 Chevy 2500HD CC SB Diesel with just what I want the 25th of this month.Wanted GMC but no GMC dealer wants to talk sales talk.

WE SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!!

jbplock
08-30-2004, 07:56
Tanker,

I would consider the XM radio :cool: ... especially if you are still traveling the county with your trailer. ;)

I bought my 03 Crew Cab LT SB off the lot in Oct 02. It was loaded with everything except XM Radio... If I was ordering a new one I would definitely include the XM radio. My 04 Impala came with XM and it 's great... I never thought I would like the XM but the 3 month free subscription that came with the Impala has me hooked.... I'm currently debating how add XM to my 03 ... it's either the portable XM Roady-2 or the GM factory upgrade...

smile.gif

Heartbeat Hauler
08-30-2004, 08:44
I would have gone with the LT instead of the LS model. I think the heated leather seats with memory would have been better. Also, I would not have gotten those worthless towing mirrors, I would get the power mirrors, then buy a good set of mirros.
JP

More Power
08-30-2004, 09:03
Some GM info....

New for 2005
</font> Power sunroof package (available late 2004 on Extended and Crew Cab models with Universal Transmitter and overhead console)</font> Front disc/rear drum anti-lock brakes standard on all models except with Quadrasteer</font> (QPR) P245/70R17-108S all-season blackwall tires standard on 2WD models</font> (QPO) P245/70R17-108S all-season, white-outlined letter tires available on 2WD models</font> (QVL) P265/70R17, all-season, blackwall tires standard on 4WD Regular/Extended Cab models</font> (QVM) P265/70R17, all-season, white outlined-letter tires available on 4WD Regular/Extended Cab models</font> 145-amp alternator standard
Snow Plow prep package includes 160-amp alternator</font> New hood and grille design for Heavy Duty models</font> New exterior colors: Dark Blue Metallic (all except Silverado SS), Silver Birch Metallic (Silverado SS)</font>
OnStar driver safety and security system, featuring Gen 6 hardware with analog/digital coverage and upgraded hands-free capabilities. Standard on light-duty LT, available on LS; standard on heavy-duty Silverado LT Extended Cab and Crew Cab, available on 2500HD and 3500 models.

Silverado can be equipped to meet any personal requirement or professional demand when it comes to hauling or towing. Payload capacities range from 1,295 pounds (587 kg) all the way to 4,047 pounds (1,836 kg) for 2500 heavy duty models. Gross Vehicle Weight Ratings range from 6,100 pounds (2,767 kg) to 9,200 pounds (4,173 kg) on properly equipped heavy duty versions.

The new cooling system provides a number of advantages:

A reduction in parasitic losses due to disengaged fan speed with a corresponding increase in combined city/highway fuel economy
A significant improvement in idle A/C performance (driver/passenger comfort) as well as an ability to idle with A/C on for extended periods in very high ambient temperatures
A reduction in customer complaints normally attributed to unusual engine noise or transmission noise/delayed shift, which are actually fan noise issues.

A new voltage control system monitors the battery's charge status and controls the vehicle's generator to minimize parasitic voltage loss.

Other changes designed to improve fuel economy include improved sealing of the vehicles' front end. For example, tow hook and fog light openings are now sealed when those items are not ordered on the vehicle. In addition, the center hole in the front air deflector has been sealed; an extension has been added to the front air deflector; the aerodynamics for the running boards have been improved and the center high mounted stop lamp (CHMSL) - which was previously roof-mounted - is now recessed into the liftgate glass for improved vehicle aerodynamics.

Safety and security across the range

Silverados are equipped with GM's Passenger Sensing System (PSS). PSS uses the latest sensing technology to turn the front passenger air bag on or off. If the sensor system detects an unoccupied front passenger seat or the presence of a smaller occupant, the front passenger air bag is designed to automatically turn off so it would not deploy in the event of a frontal collision. A status indicator on the instrument panel alerts occupants that the passenger air bag is on or off. Even with this system, GM strongly recommends to restrain child passengers in an appropriate child seat placed in the second or third row of the vehicle. Never install a rear-facing infant seat in front of an active air bag. GM also recommends that all children 12 and under ride in the rear seat when possible.

The Silverado also has dual-stage frontal air bags (not available on 1500 HD Crew Cab and 2500 HD and 3500 Series models) for supplemental protection for front seat passengers. Dual-stage frontal air bags are designed to help reduce the risk of air bag-induced injury. When the air bag system's control unit detects an impact, it determines whether the crash is severe enough to trigger a deployment, and whether the primary amount of inflation is sufficient. The primary stage alone will deploy in most frontal impacts requiring the supplemental protection of an air bag, while a secondary stage is designed to deploy in more severe frontal collisions.

GM's OnStar safety and security system is standard on LT and available on LS light duty models. In the heavy duty range, OnStar is standard on Silverado LT Extended Cab and Crew Cab models, and available on 2500 HD and 3500 models.

Silverados feature OnStar's new sixth-generation hardware with digital and analog coverage. The Gen 6 hardware also includes upgraded hands-free voice recognition capabilities including more intuitive continuous digit dialing and improved voice recognition accuracy. OnStar is the leading provider of in-vehicle safety, security and information services in the United States and Canada. Using the GPS satellite network and wireless technology, OnStar features core safety services and OnStar Personal Calling that allows drivers to make and receive hands-free, voice-activated phone calls using a powerful three-watt digital/analog system and external antenna for greater reception.

Additional safety and security systems include electronic traction control on 2WD Silverados to enhance handling and response on models equipped with a V-8 engine, automatic transmission and locking rear differential. All models come standard with PASSLock II theft deterrent system, and a driver information center that monitors and reports on up to 34 vehicle system functions.

Air conditioning, chrome front bumpers, tinted glass, power steering with tilt-adjustable column, a full-size spare tire and heavy-duty battery also are standard on all Silverado models. Quality entertainment systems

Impressive entertainment systems - from available Bose sound systems to a Panasonic DVD passenger entertainment system - add to Silverado's creature comforts. These systems (except the base fleet radio) feature the next-generation Radio Data System, and can interface with services such as the optional XM Satellite Radio. On Crew Cab models, available rear-seat audio controls allow second-row passengers to enjoy a separate audio source from front-seat occupants.

XM (continental U.S. only) provides more than 120 coast-to-coast, digital-quality channels of original commercial-free music and premier news, sports and talk as well as advanced traffic and weather information for select major metropolitan areas nationwide. Consumers can subscribe to the basic service for $9.99 a month. In addition, GM customers with GMAC financing can choose to include the XM subscription in their car payments.

Silverado Heavy Duty - For any power and performance need

Featuring a redesigned hood and grille for 2005, Chevy Silverado Heavy Duty pickups comprise the segment's most diverse lineup, with a wide selection of weight ratings, body styles and powertrain combinations including diesel and compressed natural gas (CNG) models.

GM's Duramax 6600 6.6L (V-8) turbo-diesel was already legendary for its awesome performance, but engineers decided to make it even better. Both hardware and software were upgraded in '04, resulting in a 10 horsepower (7.5 kw) increase. Not satisfied with "good enough," the engineers went back to work and the result is a 70 lb.-ft. (97 Nm) torque increase for 2005. The revised powerplant delivers 310 horsepower (231 kw) at 3000 rpm and 605 lb.-ft. (836 Nm) of torque at 1600 rpm when equipped with the Allison automatic transmission.

At the top of the gasoline engine range is an optional Vortec 8100 8.1L V-8, rated at 330 hp (246 kw) and 450 lb.-ft. (610 Nm) of torque. The Vortec 6000 6.0L V-8 produces 300 hp (224 kw) and 360 lb.-ft. (488 Nm) of torque.

No fewer than 14 different Silverado HD models can run on dedicated (CNG) or bi-fuel systems, the latter which operates on either CNG or gasoline when equipped with a Vortec 6000 6.0L V-8 with hardened valves and seats to withstand CNG's lack of lubricity and cooling. Special versions with reduced gross vehicle weight ratings (8,500 pounds or 3,825 kg) enable customers to meet fleet requirements in "non-attainment" areas, while GVWR ratings of up to 9,200 pounds (4,173 kg) are available.

Impressive and tough

With impressive power, tough frames, advanced suspensions and high-capacity brakes, the 2500HD/3500 Series provides outstanding payload capacities as well as outstanding hauling and towing capabilities. The three-quarter-ton models have a GVWR as much as 9,200 pounds (4,173 kg), and payloads up to 3,964 pounds (1,798 kg). The one-ton pickup models have a GVWR up to 11,400 pounds (5,171 kg) and payloads up to 5,753 pounds (2,610 kg).

For chassis cab models, Silverado HD has an 11,400-pound (5,171-kg) GVWR for 2WD versions and a 12,000-pound (5,443 kg) GVWR when equipped with 4WD. Chassis cabs provide payloads up to 6,089 pounds (2,762 kg).

Capable smooth-shifting transmissions

Duramax 6600 and Vortec 8100 are mated to smooth-shifting, high-capacity transmissions with close-ratio gearing to provide optimum launch, hill climbing and towing capabilities.

The ZF S6-650 six-speed is fully synchronized in all gears. Dual cone synchronizers in second and third gear provide extra capacity. The shift lever moves forward for first and straight back for reverse, providing easy low-speed maneuvering since drivers don't have to go across the shift pattern to select reverse. Second gear can be used for launching unloaded or lightly loaded trucks. First gear can be used as a "creeper gear" for extra low-end performance.

The Allison 1000 was built to move big-time tonnage. It has full electronic control of shift-timing points, five forward speeds and helical-type planetary gearsets for quiet operation. It also provides two operating modes, normal and Tow/Haul. When hauling heavy loads down long, steep grades, a grade-braking mechanism automatically downshifts to help slow the vehicle when the driver applies the brakes.

Inspector
08-30-2004, 10:43
Thanks Jim for the update.
The only thing that I would change on my truck is to eliminate the On Star. GM just thinks to much of it. It needs to be more afordable. I'll use my cell phone.
Other than that I love my truck.
Denny

Kennedy
08-30-2004, 13:32
I ordered the LT. Only had to add trailer pkg, 5th wheel stub, locking rear, skid plate pgk, and electronic climate control.

Looking to do the same on a 2005. Just want to see one (LT crew) in person first...

If anybody finds a good example of the new blue, I'd appreciate seeing it...

Dewey Faircloth
08-30-2004, 14:43
Thanks,Jim for the information.
Have been wanting a new diesel a long time so have one on order.Have read all the pro and cons
on them.Just thought may as well go for it.Hope it is as good to me as the 6.5 has been for nearly 11 years and 195,000 miles.
Goinr to keep it and if I last long enough will let every one know how long it will run.

Dewey

Runaway
08-30-2004, 15:29
I have the LT. Only thing I might change on a future truck is maybe a crew cab, but the extended cab is just fine for the spouse, me and dog. If I opted for a crew cab, I would then have a short bed. Also a bigger altenator
What I would order/get is cab lights. I love cab lights :D

txguppy
08-30-2004, 18:00
I would definitely opt for the CC. Rear de-froster, that's about it.

ochster
08-30-2004, 18:12
Definatley a crew cab next time. The dual a/c controls are also a hit with the wife.

I also have heard great things about the factory Bose stereo and am thinking maybe the buckets seats offer bettersupport on the long hauls. Can anyone elaborate on that?

Kennedy
08-31-2004, 06:36
Computer climate control is excellent. No excessive fan speeds or cold air when engine is cold. It's pretty darn smart. I run mine around 72-76

tanker
09-01-2004, 18:47
Tanks-a-lot to all who responded to my questions. ;) Now we have some things to think about in our quest for More Power and comfort. smile.gif

mdadgar
09-02-2004, 08:35
Three words: PARK DISTANCE CONTROL

(it was not available on my '02 but was offered on the '03 - doh)

It would be nice to be able to parallel park again without worrying about the fate of the Civic behind me.

I'd love to have been able to delete OnStar, too, but I have an SLT and it comes with the package.

I am VERY glad I got the Crew Cab. I think my rear seats spend 90% of their time folded down with stuff back there. It's the equivalent of a very large trunk.

- Mark

motovet
09-02-2004, 09:32
My truck is the same as Johns but a short bed. I wouldn't change a thing,(when ordering) :D though it would have been nice to delete the on-star. Mine has been disconnected since my stereo upgrade. If you plan on keeping the stock stereo XM is a must!

MIKE WIENER
09-02-2004, 15:52
HI

I got around paying for on star. by ordering a LT and adding every thing except. the on star. I also went with cloth insted of leather. the price came out the same except the price of the on star. Did not get the in side upgrade mirror. Could not see the money to look at the front of the 5er. The only thing that I wanted and could not get in erly 2001 was the matching frount flares. Did it my self.

ibelyea
09-02-2004, 20:14
My 2002 LT came loaded and I love every item. My onstar has saved me twice on lockouts (1 in the middle of Manitoba where I would have had to break a window to get in. I threw my cell service phone away as being two expensive and purchased one of those purchase minutes ones. It costs me significantly less and now that cities are starting to charge a tax on cell phones, I skip that expense as well. I get 200 minutes a year of the onstar and use the phone sparingly along with that throw away cell. I also get service on onstar when cell phones wont work.

Dewey Faircloth
09-04-2004, 21:08
Tanker,
I'll have to back track a little.I ordered a 2005 Chevy with just what I wanted on it.Was just taking a ride in the country today and in a little small town north Florida that would not have thought of a Chevy dealer being there seen a 2005 sitting.Stopped to look and the sales manager came out and talked me into driving it home.Bought it for less money then the one on order,so will take care of that next week.
The XM is great,the wife said she was going to pay to keep it on.

Mark-
09-05-2004, 02:18
Someone asked about the buckets and the Bose Stereo. I recently took delivery of my 2004.5 Silverado HD and I bought it LOADED. I took every toy except the on* and leather. I love the cloth buckets. They are very comfortable. Mine's electric and the pass side is manual. Leather would have made it both electric.

The Bose stereo is phenominal. Good response, no buzzy speakers. Sound is crystal clear with non boomy base and nice crisp sharp treble. Highly recommended. It is NOT however a teenie boppers boom box that rattles everyone's windows at a traffic light.

motovet
09-05-2004, 15:54
It's ok for some of us middle age guys to have a window rattling system though.

[ 09-06-2004, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: motovet ]

Jomar
09-08-2004, 19:30
I would`nt mind getting the CC with short box, but then I might have a problem pulling my 5er and making sharp turns unless I got the sliding hitch, and also no more dark colors. Why don`t they offer yellow?

Jomar