PDA

View Full Version : Gages and Juice Questions

FightinTXag
07-29-2002, 13:59
I'm thinking in the future of adding pyro and boost gages (GM owner's manual spelling, ok?) and maybe adding the Juice or BD's EZ-amp. Function comes first however so the spray-in and toolbox is tops on the list. Anyway, how will these mods affect my warranty? Do gages void the warranty since you drill/tap the exhaust manifold? I understand you can remove the juice before service, but can the tech tell that it's been altered by looking at stored computer info? Does the Juice allow you to break the tires loose without power-braking? I'm disappointed in the way first gear power is limited and off-the line acceleration is hampered. Will the Juice remedy this? Does it improve shift firmness? Lastly, I know the Allison is a stout transmission, but will the Juice affect engine and/or transmission longevity?

csimo
07-29-2002, 16:15
The pyrometer (or any other modification) will not void your warranty by themselves. They CAN cause certain parts of your warranty to be invalid, but not the entire warranty.

In the case of a pyrometer, if you install it in the exhaust manifold and later have a problem with that manifold DIRECTLY ATTRIBUTED to the installation of the pyrometer, the warranty will be null and void for that incident. I suppose the manufacturer could even blame a burned valve or a few other things could be caused by the restriction of the sensor.

If you installed the Juice and have any type of driveline problem you may have problems getting those items covered under warranty. They would probably extend that to many electrical components as well. Edge claims that if you remove the Juice the dealer can't tell that it was ever installed (hint, hint).

Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act the burden of proof is with the manufacturer. They must prove your modification DIRECTLY CAUSED the problem at hand. The Act is administered by the Federal Trade Commission.

Keep in mind that your warranty is between yourself and GM. The dealer offers no warranty and you probably signed a warranty waiver at time of purchase. The dealer is an "autorized representative" of the manufacturer, but in no case are they the ultimate authority.

[ 07-29-2002: Message edited by: csimo ]</p>

Kennedy
07-29-2002, 16:17
I suppose if your manifold cracked from the hole or something like that it could be a problem. That or if you put a big chip through the turbo which is also unlikely.

The Juice/Amp will make a ton of difference in performance. The thing to remember with the Allison is that it is ALWAYS learning and adapting to power levels, vehicle load etc. It is best to make power changes in steps so it can learn to adapt the shift characteristics. The only thing that I notice is that when the engine is cold, and the power box is scaled back, the Allison shifts firmly as it is expecting more power than it is getting. I kinda wish it shifted this way all the time, but then the next guy would complain about harsh shifting...