PDA

View Full Version : Refueling with big filler neck?

Buck
09-03-2004, 17:20
I just installed an '05 Duramax filler neck in my '01 and still can't run the big truck stop nossles at a locked position without flooding the side of my truck :( . At least they fit now and is a little faster.......
I vented mine using the vent on top toward the rear of the tank 1/4" ID hose adapted to 1/2 ID hose and run it up the the stem on the new filler neck I got from work. Dunno, maybe the vent is to small.....

Can anyone with a stock "big" fuel filler neck ('04.5 -'05 trucks) run the pump at a locked position with out flooding?

The tanks on the newer trucks are different than mine.

White Truck
09-03-2004, 18:42
Buck,
When I fill mine with the large nozzle, I don't use the lock. I find I need to slow the rate as the tank gets nearly full, or I will still get some fuel down the side as the nozzle won't shut off quickly enough.

Dennis

tpitt
09-03-2004, 19:53
Buck,
Thats not a vent per say on the back of the tank. I believe that is the rollover valve. What you need to do is take off your big hose and find a piece of pipe that will slip snugly inside of the hose. I imagine a piece of exhaust pipe would work. Anyway you would need to weld a 90 degree fitting on it the same size as the one on the upper fillneck only pointing upward. This is of course after drilling the hole. Then you would have to cut your big hose near the tank and slip the new pipe in between, with clamps and find the proper size vent hose to go in between the filler neck and the new piece you made. I'm guessing the new piece would only have to be around 3 inhes long.
I've never actually seen a Transferflow retrofit fill neck for the origional fuel tanks, but am sure this is how they are made. I've sold and installed several of their replacement tanks, and when I do the LB7's I always put on their fast fill necks. I would do this right away as I don't know of the consequences of you going to the hose on the back of the tank, but that is not where they vent. I'm still not sure this will vent as good as an LLY as they have a seperate vent through the sending unit. tpitt

Jorday
09-03-2004, 22:54
I always end up spilling on my truck when I use the, so I try and avoid them if I can. Sometimes I get stuck using them, though.

mark45678
09-05-2004, 06:04
I can fill my 2004.5lly truck locked only on the first click ant SOME truck stops anything over 5~7 gallons a min will wash down the side of the truck. I am not compaining, I could even fill my 01 at that same pump last year!

Buck
09-08-2004, 08:02
Terry, I have made the T-style vent like you suggested. I am just waiting until my tank is lighter ;)

tpitt
09-10-2004, 09:55
Buck,
Please let me know how this worked out. I believe Transferflow wants around $124 dollars for their set-up. This maybe a cheaper alternative. Thanks, Terry

Buck
09-10-2004, 20:12
I talked to a rep at Transfer flow and he said they vent their fast fills the same way you said Terry.

[ 09-21-2004, 08:54 AM: Message edited by: Buck ]

Buck
09-21-2004, 09:00
It works great!!!

For the necessary parts find a truck upfitter that puts on tipper bodies, flat beds and such. They should be able to help you.

For anyone interested, I got the metal fill neck from an '05 Dmax. I cut it off about 8" long, retaining some of the curve, which worked out great. I then used a 3" long (2" I.D. thin wall pipe)piece, from the scrap that I cut off the fill neck. I drilled a 5/8" hole in the middle and welded a 90* elbow. I welded it about 10* off being inlign with the 3" piece. I took the hose off the tank and removed the whole thing from the truck. I did it without lowering the tank to ;) . I then measured the fitting on the tank (2" long). I measured up the hose 3 1/2" and cut it. Put in the "T" vent, making sure the offset of the vent is toward the rear of the truck and on the top side. Took some 5/8" hose and connected the fill neck vent to the "T" vent, and tightened the clamps on the "T" splice and the vent lines. I put the unit back on the tank and then the 3 screws that hold the filler neck in place. I got it situated and tightened the other 2 clamps.

tpitt
09-21-2004, 12:12
Buck,
I'm glad it works great. I was worried about how you had it vented the first time. Is it worth it to do it this way or to go with a Transferflow neck? I'm curious price wise. I know quite a few people who don't want tanks, but may want just a fillneck, and If I could do them cheaper than Transferflow that may be a better way to go. Thanks, Terry