PDA

View Full Version : To engage or not to engage?

alamovet
11-10-2002, 23:10
I have a Bowie Veterinary Box in the bed of my 2500HD extended cab, short wheel base truck. Unit by itself weighs about 800lbs. Additional supplies come in at about 500lbs, for a total of 1300lbs in the bed.

Does anyone out there have any advice on if I should be driving around with the tow/haul button engaged? I'm more concerned about longevity of the transmission and engine than fuel economy. With this is mind, should I engage or not?

Bobcat698
11-11-2002, 00:15
No, it is not neccessary to drive around in Tow/Haul mode with that little bit of weight in the truck.
If you read the manual, the only time to use it is when you reach about 75% total GCVWR or when pulling 8,000-12,000lbs.

It will hurt fuel economy if you leave it in Tow/Haul & not give you much of any advantage besides eating more fuel & keeping it out of Overdrive longer.

Garrett

Oongawah
11-11-2002, 00:18
Nah,

Not enough weight to make anymore difference than a cab full of bodies, and luggage. You might want to use T/H for going downhill for the downshift feature to really kick in. Hope this helps. Take care, Chuck.

Oongawah
11-11-2002, 00:20
Sorry Bobcat,

We posted at the same time.

redneckcowdoctor
11-11-2002, 06:09
I drive the exact same setup, 72k since last August. The truck doesn't even seem to know the unit is back there. Average 17+ mpg on mostly back roads. The only time I use tow/haul is for some long downhill highway grades. Get going a bit above the speed you want, select t/h, break till the truck downshifts to 4th gear, then hit cruise set button. I'd much prefer the ability to simply select 4th gear myself and giveup the grade braking feature intirely but you work with what you've got.

redneckcowdoctor
11-11-2002, 06:24
I meant "brake", not "break"! Must be a Freudian slip as my truck is in the shop at present.

I had a noise in the front end I could'n id so I took her in. The dealership couldn't find anything wrong--said to rotate the tires as that would fix the noise problem. The next week or two were chilly and with the windows up the noise did seem less. Finally I began to notice a thumping like a flat tire on the right front. Took her back in and and the RF wheel bearing is about gone--on the lift the tire wobbles probably 3"! Just about ready to fall off. Dealership didn't have one and I volunteered to go fetch one if they could fine it but it seems there isn't a wheel bearing in all of western NC! Should have one this AM.

They loaned me a GMC 2500 LB with a 6.0L. It hasn't got nearly the pep of the duramax even though it's got a 1200# advantage without the vet box. And what a gas hog!!! I'd have to move down there to Texas with you and get my own oil field to drive this thing regularly.

alamovet
11-12-2002, 08:57
Thanks for the help! Are you doing mostly dairy work out there in NC? Glad to hear that about the 6.0. I've got 57,000 on my D/A and love it so far