PDA

View Full Version : 99 Turbo speed / Catalytic converter

b757200er
06-20-2005, 19:24
I just got today a check engine light

1. Is there a way that I could retreived the codes ?

2. Also, I put a K&N filter and now I could hear the whistle of my turbo. I have also removed the catalityc converter. Was it a good idea ?

3. Today travelling at a constant speed (105 km/h) it seems that turbo "whistle sound" seems increasing and decreasing continually although I keep a constant pedal pressure. Is is possible ?

4. Unusual thing is happening when I press de pedal, I have black somke coming out for few seconds (3-5). And then the turbo speed increase and no more black smoke. May it be related to the removal of the catalityc converter ?

Thanks guy

Hubert
06-21-2005, 05:12
You have a second generation on board diagnostic computer program - OBD-II system. You'll have to use at least a reader to get codes. Plugs up under the dash below steering wheel. Autozone stores will read it for free. Post codes after you get them. You'll have to research which brand reader is best for you. I don't think all will read diesel specific codes.

K&N filter and no cat are OK actually reduce smoke normally.

Any other mods? Miles, overall condition, and history help with diagnostic advice.

Search the forum smoke is a common thread usually a turbo/wastegate/vaccum problem.

b757200er
06-21-2005, 14:58
Thank you Hubert. I have a K3500 with 82000 miles. Now I'm towing an RV about 9000 lbs. I'll try to find someone able to read that code.

May be it explains the black smoke and the surge of the turbo.

Do you think that removing the muffler will help also for power increase ? How about the noise ?

Thanks

Hubert
06-22-2005, 05:01
No muffler will help maybe a little bit more with performance but not much by itself. It all adds up a little at a time. Biggest gain is stock vs performance exhaust.

The noise level depends on your tolerance. I'll let you know in week or 2 what I think about stock vs performance exhaust. I am going to have a 3" down pipe and 4" exhaust with straight through muffler installed. I expect a good bit more noise but tolerable.

You'll have to read up on the 6.5's capabilities, electronic controls, ,and vaccum controlled wastegate. The turbo boost level depends on heat of combustion and intake temperature. The computer tries to safeguard the engine from getting too hot and will reduce boost and fuel (power) if intake temps are unsafe. Plus you loose effeciency and power with higher intake temps just from the thermodynamics of it all.