PDA

View Full Version : Kennedy Diesel 4" exhaust / 5" muffler and tailpipe installed

mdrag
07-29-2002, 18:34
Completed the install last evening of Kennedy's 4" exhaust with 5" muffler and tailpipe - I like it. Nice sound at idle - but it will ROAR :eek: when you get on it!

As expected, somewhat louder at highway cruising speeds, and I did not notice an irritating drone. The real test will be when I pick my family up on Sunday....

I haven't driven enough to comment on any performance differences vs. stock, and want to wait before posting my impression.

Excellent fit and well constructed system. Kennedy was extremely helpful in walking me through the install, even though I called him late in the evening on Sunday - THANKS JOHN!!

There are a few pics of the install at this link, which is different from the link in my sig, and I will be adding more pics tonight/tomorrow:

http://community.webshots.com/user/mmdrag

:D :D :D

mackin
07-29-2002, 19:21
mdrag ,

Well, I see you have been busy......
Looking really good ........ The 5" tailpipe still looks small on a dually.....LOL

Tires and Rims are sweet looking, I'll have to upgrade someday,when I hit the jackpot.....Must have set you back a pretty penny......Worth it I'm sure,all though.... Are you every going to JUICE that rig?

MAC :D

Maverick
07-30-2002, 00:03
Look'in good :cool: I like your choice in exhaust systems, tires, and wheels! ;) :D Thank you again for your help with my set up.

mdrag
07-30-2002, 00:16
Maverick,

Thanks for your help during this conversion, it was really appreciated. I've added additional pics of the 19.5" conversion and Kennedy's 4"/5" exhaust, click the PICTURE LINK #3 in my sig. :D

stevem
07-30-2002, 00:29
mdrag.

Those rims and tires look great. Makes me want to get a 3500. AWESOME!!!!!!!! :D

Steve

IndigoDually
07-30-2002, 05:25
Notice on mdrag's signature under "Future Mods" there aren't any! I guess there aren't any aftermarket parts available that aren't on his truck. :D

Have you weighed your truck to see how much has been added from stock?

"Jealous in Jersey"

01_Duramax_Dually
07-30-2002, 07:53
HOLY Cow MDrag

It is sure fun to watch the upgrades continue on your truck...Very very Nice...

Thanks for the Pics of the Kennedy exhaust. I want that set up and this winter will be my install plan along with the Transfer flow tank. My better half says I cannot race and upgrade truck at the same time. Racing is a HUGE money drain...But winter is perfect time to keep spending since racing is over... :D

I must say..After looking at all the Pictures...Do you ever drive the truck? Even the wheel wells are spotless. The mudflaps look brand new. Last time we spoke you had about 3200 miles on it...Has that increased? I am now over 30K and moving to 40 fast. I am currently averaging almost 3K miles a month going back and forth to Las Vegas.

Nevertheless Beautiful truck...Keep it up. I sit and watch with pure envy...I tried showing your pictures to my wife and she said "Shut that page down..I told you to quit looking at it...It is not REAL....It is a ploy to get you to buy stuff"...HAHAHAHAHAHA

Carry On.... :D

SoCalDMAX
07-30-2002, 09:25
The Kennedy Diesel exhaust and 19.5" rims/tires look great Mittie! From your description, it sounds pretty quiet, especially for an exhaust that could pass a softball from one end to the other!

I know how big a 5" pipe is, but in the pics, those tires kinda fool you into thinking it's not all that large. So I wonder how long the end of that exhaust is gonna remain unpolished... ;)

I can just see GM marketing types going over all of your pics. They're running into the bean counter's office yelling, "See, this is what people want! We're gonna add all of these items as options on future trucks!"

How's that saying go... "No rest for the wicked." Somebody's been very, very wicked... When he's not posting, he's planning or working! :D :D

On edit: Quote: "The real test will be when I pick my family up on Sunday...."
Very smart man, slip in the exhaust while the boss is away, then claim you changed nothing. Hope it works. ;)

Regards, Steve

[ 07-30-2002: Message edited by: SoCalDMAX ]</p>

mdrag
07-30-2002, 12:09
Thanks for the compliments :D

mackin,

Have you been laying off the caffiene lately? You.... replied........ In near... complete ..Sentences... ;) :D

IndigoDually,

I have a few more ideas, and always open to suggestions... I have not weighed the truck yet, but I have to keep it below 9K so I can continue to use my service lift... :D ...and you thought I bought the dually for towing....

'01 Duramax Doolie,

The truck has not had a bath in over a month - gotta love that rare light pewter...no rain here (to speak of) in almost 6 weeks, and I always wash down the wheel wheels when I clean the truck...approaching 7K miles, I averaged about 10K/year in my '92 Suburban.

SoCalDmax,

Good plan in theory - but the wife saw the 2 new 'bicycle' boxes the exhaust came in, and she saw the pipes laying around the shop when she was cutting the grass :D - and she KNOWS were I planned to camp out for the two weeks they were gone...I'll let you know if she thinks it's quiet or not :D

mdrag

[ 07-30-2002: Message edited by: mdrag ]</p>

CSDMAX
07-30-2002, 12:40
mdrag,

Looks great! Looks like the addtl $$$ is worth upgrading to the 5" muffler and tailpipe.

JK,

Any concerns with clearance around a larger spare tire (specifically a 255/85) with the 5" tailpipe?

I would ask mdrag, but he's got BIG :eek: tires and wheels of which will not fit underneath.

mdrag
07-30-2002, 12:47
CSDMAX,

The Michelin XDE M/S 225/70 19.5" are 32.6" in diameter vs 30.6" for the OEM 215/85 16" GY Wrangler ATS.

Do you know the diameter of the 255 tires you are interested in. I could trial fit my old spare and see how much more room there is.

mdrag

Maverick
07-30-2002, 15:52
Mdrag,
I took my juice box off to go to the stealer and it makes a big difference in sound on the exhaust. It is half as loud w/o it. I got it back on now. It barks alot louder now. When are you gonna get one?

The stealer thinks my problem that we diccussed is a thermastat problem. It goes in tomorrow morn to have both of them replaced. Fingers are crossed.

[ 07-30-2002: Message edited by: Maverick ]</p>

Silver Bullet
07-30-2002, 15:56
Looking (and sounding) good Mittie! My bullet is getting a new water pump, so I am down for a couple days waiting on parts...can't wait to see how (or if!) the Malibu rental will power brake! :D

Kennedy
07-30-2002, 17:13
CSDMAX,

I have a good 1.5" between the spare and the pipe on my truck. I still have the stock spare.

If a larger spare is used, one may have to adjust things away a little, but should not be a problem.

CSDMAX
07-30-2002, 17:14
mdrag,

The tires I am considering are 32.7" up to 33.3".
I also have the standard short bed.

Plasticfantastic
07-30-2002, 19:54
MDRAG, Those 19.5's look awesome!!!
What is the benefit of the larger wheel/tire combo?
Could you use four fronts on a non-dually, or would you even want to??

Maverick
07-30-2002, 21:15
The benefit for me was a higher load capacity. The stock tires (10 ply) had terrible sidewall flex when pulling my 51' 3 car hauler. I got G rated 14 plys now. The stock rims are wimpy also as I bent one already. My truck is no garage queen as I bought to work. I am just improving on a great truck. If I can make it look better in the process, its a bonus.

hoot
07-31-2002, 05:39
Mittie,

No doubt, the classiest Dmax of all!
Those wheels are the ultimate.

Maverick..... Your wheels too!

Mike

csimo
07-31-2002, 07:50
Maverick,

You're pulling a 51' trailer? Wow! I see you're in Alaska and I guess they allow the maximum federal limit of 53'. Most states allow a maximum trailer length of 48'.

I have a friend that hauls his crawler/dozer on a flatbed with his Duramax. He owns his own scales and the trailer and dozer alone weigh right at 22,000 pounds! The trailer (triple axle) only has surge breaks on one axle. I don't know what you call the hitch connector but it's one of those round eyelet types. I think he's crazy for hauling that thing, but he says it's "no problem".

01_Duramax_Dually
07-31-2002, 08:37
MDRAG,
7K MILES!!!!!... :eek:

Man you have not even broke that thing in yet. Let me think here......WOW!! you have not even changed the oil twice...No wonder it looks so clean...
Well it...Honestly.... looks clean regardless whether or not you had 50K on it.

I tried showing the pictures of your truck again to my wife HAHAHAHAHAHA...she will have no part of it. She said I have two options 1) Get another job to support this silly hobby or 2)Get a camper cause you will be living it soon too if you start buying that stuff... :D :D :D

Guess I will just print out pictures of your truck and pretend it is mine....;D Lot cheaper and I can still live in the main house.....

Carry On... :D

Kennedy
07-31-2002, 22:00
Just wait till the power level dictates upgrading the transmission. Now THAT is going to be an expense that I do not look forward to... :eek:

Hey Mittie,

After working through the muffler/adapter thing (gabbott has similar system) I have decided to try a 4/5 muffler so the transition is hidden inside! May also try a longer case muffler for the long bed trucks looking for extra quiet...

[ 07-31-2002: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

sonofagun
08-01-2002, 19:07
Mittie,

Nice photos. Thanks for the input on JK's system. Gona go for one too but will wait until the fall. TOO hot in San Antonio to be crawling around under a truck!

Regards,

Bob

SoCalDMAX
08-02-2002, 01:13
Jeff,

I hear ya! I'm hoping if we park our trucks in his garage, he'll get so tired of looking at our "ugly" stock trucks, he'll fix 'em up just like his. Oh well, a guy can dream!

Sigh, Steve

01_Duramax_Dually
08-02-2002, 07:44
Steve,
AMEN...AMEN....Maybe this could be one of those Osmosis things and if we park them in close proximity to his trucks some of those features will just grow on ours...Short of that I am just rollin down the road in my stocker pretending to be behind the wheel of Mittie's. When I put my truck in reverse. I have my little girl sit up and look back and she says "Little more... Little more... OK STOP!.... . That is my ROSS back up device...LOL...HAHAHAHAHAHA.

mdrag
08-05-2002, 21:19
I picked up the family at OKC's airport yesterday evening - about 3 hrs. round trip, with the legal speed limit most of the way 75 mph :D

I tested out Kennedy's exhaust by cruising/accelerating at various speeds from 0 to 85 mph, with/without the stereo on. Most of the trip was at 75 mph. The outside temp was right around 100 degrees, so not much cruising with the windows down.

First off, my wife DID NOT notice/comment on the exhaust difference until we stopped for a bite to eat - about 25 minutes after I picked her up. I will admit that I avoided full throttle application up to that point. She had to get something from one of her bags in the bed, and was standing to the side of the PS tailgate. Since we had just pulled off the highway, I left the truck idling to cool down the turbo and went to help her out. That's when she first noticed that the truck was a little louder, and commented on the big exhaust :eek: These observations were more likely a result of the link I emailed her for the pics I posted on KD's exhaust and the 19.5" wheels...

I did not feel the sound level was too loud while maintaining steady highway speeds - you can tell this is not a stock exhaust, but no trouble listening to the stereo or carrying on a normal conversation. I like the growl with full throttle acceleration, and would keep the window down when leaving a toll booth for the full effect. As far as performance gains, the seat of pants dyno says the truck accelerates quicker (see below), with the turbo spooling up quicker and slightly more turbo whine (or I'm listening more carefully). The max EGT recorded by my SPA DG-111 is about 60 degrees lower, and the max boost is the same at 23 psi.

I only made one highway trip of about 2 hrs with the 19.5" wheels/tires before upgrading to the KD exhaust. I felt there was a small, but noticeable DECREASE in performance with the larger wheels/tires/OEM exhaust. After the exhaust upgrade AND bigger wheels, I feel that the performance is improved compared to stock exhaust/wheels - so I gained back what I lost from the 19.5" conversion, plus some.

The only negative I've noticed is exhaust resonance with slow acceleration from about 30 - 50 mph, and it goes away if you step on the throttle a little harder...

Very pleased overall with this exhaust!! :D

SoCalDMAX
08-05-2002, 23:56
So what exactly did she say when she noticed the new exhaust? "Honey, is that a new 5" dia. pipe I see sticking way out there, or did you really miss me?"

The smart answer is: I really missed you! LOL ;)

Regards, Steve