PDA

View Full Version : 12 volt fuel valve

Paintdude
07-29-2002, 18:53
Would anyone know where I can get a 12 volt solinoid activated 1/2 or 3/8 inch fuel valve?

I have aquired a 97 gallon tank from a Utilimaster to mount in my bed and need a remote fuel shut off for the refill proccess..

thanks...

TBC
07-29-2002, 19:24
I was looking for one when I installed my tank and O'Reilly Auto Parts had one. I ended up buying a kit that had the guage and everything needed to hook it into the truck system. I got it from Auxiliary Truck Accessories 2909 Broadway Blvd, Garland, TX 75041. Phone is 972-271-4641. Check out the web site at auxiliarytruck.com. I paid $269.54 tax, title, and license for the kit.
P/N DK100CDMX.

Have fun and enjoy all that fuel. I have a 42 gallon tool box combo and it is nice to run till my bladder can't take anymore, mostly my wife's.

Paintdude
07-29-2002, 19:55
Thanks... smile.gif

I was thinking of just running a solinoid valve switched from the in the cab and running my fill into the exsisting fuel neck via: Brazed in fitting I will install...Flip the switch when my tank is low and fill it up while driving..

for 250 bucks I maybe better off with their setup..It looks like the fuel guage would bolt right into this tank..

I don`t know, I am into less moving parts on things anymore..Less stuff to fail later on down the road..

I will call them tommarrow and check it out..

thanks again.. smile.gif

TBC
07-31-2002, 20:52
The valve setup I told you about has the pressure and return line connections. The return fuel goes to the tank it came from. In the setup you are talking about you would be in violation of DOT rules and if you had an accident that resulted in someone being hurt by the burning fuel or spillage, etc you would need to have lots of green stuff. Does your tank have a rollover valve? If not they will sure get you on that one for safety stuff. Some states would never pass inspection if they want to get nasty about it. Lots of variables. I like to play on the conservative side.

Paintdude
07-31-2002, 21:38
The truck place you told me about is out of bussiness for the present time..bought out by someone else..My guess is they wont sell the setup seperate with the new management..

I have a rollover valve and feed line and return lines in the top of the tank..I am working on getting a electric pump system w/pressure regulator for the bypass mode.we dont have inspections here so that isnt a problem , but the accident thing can be..Pumping from the top of the tank with a shut off and turn over valve is almost legal,real close....

the bottem line is I cant gravity feed the OEM tank..I did order the transferflow filler neck(3-4 weeks backorder) and it looks like it has the vent hose on the outside, so I can feed to that..

the switch to shut the line off is the 3 way truck switch from NAPA, it has a defalut setting when not activated..

millietom
08-01-2002, 02:54
I couldn't find a solinoid valve to control the gravity feed from my aux tank so I used a three way valve with the extra port closed off. Works the same as a two way solinoid valve. I am feeding into the neck of my regular tank. You have to remove the o ring in the filler cap so that there is no pressure in the regular tank. Make sure your solinoid shuts off with the ignition switch so that you don't forget and leave the valve open and overflow the main tank.

Tom

GBurton
08-01-2002, 10:49
Paintdude

You might want to call these folks. They wil sell you the necessary parts to do a legal installation.
The advice from TBC is correct.

http://www.auxtank.com

George

Paintdude
08-01-2002, 18:08
I called them the other day..they wont sell the parts..they only sell complete systems..I talked to the guy for a 1/2 hour.. :(

The problem now is venting the OEM tank..removing the o-ring is very simple..I am going to try and find another way, if possible....

I have figured out the shut off valve and the fuel pump..I am now working on a spin on fuel filter after the tank and before the pump..

I do not really want to get into the OEM fuel lines..

thanks for the imput, keep it coming.. smile.gif

TBC
08-01-2002, 19:32
PaintDude
I had the same problem. Everybody wants to sell the whole setup and some are very pricey.
Check with O'Reilly Auto Parts or others. They have catalogs that have the 6 port valve. The price was somewhere around $100.00. I have the install instructions with schematics. If you find a valve email me at tbcobb@mindspring.com give me an address to mail the info to and I will send a copy to you. It is not real difficult to do. The setup cuts the factory lines and puts the 6 port valve into the factory system and the other ports into the new tank. With an internet search I would bet you can find a valve and a guage sending unit. The sending unit is a generic one that you cut the length of the float mount to fit your tank. Let me know what you need and I will try to help out.

Tom

GBurton
08-02-2002, 00:13
Paintdude

Did you really talk to Mike at auxtank.com or did you talk to someone at auxiliarytruck.com? They are two different companies. Call Mike at Amercian Tank (877 485-3359).

If you check this link out:
http://www.auxtank.com/auxtank/asp/answers.asp

You will find the following Q & A information:

Q) Will you sell me an installation kit for a tank that I mistakenly bought from someone else?

A) We would be happy to supply you with a kit for the tank you bought from someone else. With a little information about the tank from you, we can build a kit designed for most any depth of tank. A kit for a Ford Diesel with the valve, harness, sender and hardware will cost about $300.00. We'll even include some easy to read instructions with the kit.

George

Paintdude
08-02-2002, 07:16
yup,It was Mike at american tank..He said the liabilty thing keeps him from selling the system that way.. :(

U C I do not want to cut on any of the OEM fuel lines, anyways..I am going to weld barb fittings on the the fuel neck..If need be one for fill and one for vent..then run the vent to the tank in the bed, it has 2 a vent and a rollover valve vent..

I am going to mount the inline fuel pump on the frame and it will just start the siphon effect, then I can shut it off and control the fill process with the shut off valve,manuelly under my drivers seat(handle will come through the floor)..I wont have a fuel guage on the aux tank,but I will only have one moving part in the system-the fuel pump..this is the plan so far.. smile.gif

I wonder what colder weather will do to the pump and fuel filter mounted under the truck?

Update:Today I found tank switch for 32 bucks and 2 lighted toggles for 4 bucks each 20 amp rated..

[ 08-02-2002: Message edited by: Paintdude ]</p>

Searay90
08-03-2002, 21:11
Paintdude,

Could you post the part number & mfg for the tank valve you found for $32. And where you found it at. I need a similiar set up for an old antique tractor I have.

Thanks,

Paintdude
08-03-2002, 23:25
It was in the Standard (brand) Catalogue at the local parts house..My cost was 30 some dollars, retail was 50..It is a spare tank switch 1 in and 2 out. I will only use one side of it, the activated side, the other side will be the default setting without power-shut off mode..