PDA

View Full Version : egt on LLY

rdanley
09-05-2004, 20:12
what is a safe operating temp for the egt on the LLY. on my dodge would not let it exceed 1200. which i can say it never went above that anyway.

More Power
09-06-2004, 10:14
It used to be that 1250 degrees was the safest recommendation for a max sustained EGT with a pickup truck turbodiesel, like when pulling hills with a heavy load. However, the Duramax with its aluminum heads has changed all that somewhat.

The Edge/Attitude allows you to set a max EGT point, where it will reduce the fuel it adds to help maintain whatever limit you set with the Attitude. 1350 degrees is the default, which should be a safe number. As we saw during our July Pull-Off, a stock LLY can run to 1400 degrees without modifications.

I've heard of scary numbers reaching up to nearly 2000 degrees during performance runs without producing immediate problems (at least not yet) with a highly modified LB7, so we don't really know how high the Duramax can go without producing a meltdown. I've not read of any identified EGT damage yet (burned glow plug tips or thermal damage to pistons).

Based on the EGT's we've seen with a stock LLY, 1400 degrees should be OK - whether stock or modified....

MP

[ 09-06-2004, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: More Power ]

OC_DMAX
09-06-2004, 10:57
The Garett turbocharger on the LLY with its varible vane configuration may not be as forgiving to extreme EGT as the IHI turbo on the LB7 seems to be. Something to keep in mind when pushing the limits.