PDA

View Full Version : Juice From the "Mild Side"

Idle_Chatter
11-11-2002, 19:40
Well, I thought that I would give my impressions of the Edge Juice from another perspective. I thought that my truck was plenty spunky, was reading all the issues with the many variations of the Juice and not in any real rush to get there. As a matter of fact, I was concerned about the Juice's power and "drivability" because I have had some problems in my shortbed with rear traction on wet corners and Eaton Locker sidestepping. I had an opportunity to get a "leftover" Juice 3.61c and have been driving it for a couple of weeks now. Let me tell you, for those of you who don't think a Juice is your style, it's one of the finest additions and improvements to the Dmax for normal use! Don't let power maniacs like Kennedy and speed mavens like Mackin and Peanut make you think this thing is not managable. I've got mine programmed level 2 for day-to-day and level 4 for tow-haul just to scare myself on the occasional throttle punch. First and foremost, in level 2, it adds smoooooth and consistent power at the low end that was seriously missing in the stock programming. The shift programming is firmer in the shift, but more tractable and less busy in cruise. The change in general drivability is night and day! The breaking traction and loose rearend issue that really had me worried is GONE!, the power is applied smoothly and controllably and there's not the "peakiness" that was there in the stock programming that was probably causing the wet-road breakaway! I've had no idle issues, no rainy-wiper issues, no fish-bite and I'm tickled pink to cruise around in level 2! If you were put off by thinking that the Juice is only for hot-rodding and pushing your tranny to the limits of its ability, don't miss out on an opportunity to add the smoothest and finest drivability to your truck that it _should_ have off the showroom, but was *******ized for emissions and other corporate correctness issues. I swear that it's like having a new truck under me, and the Dmax shirt-eating grin that had begun to droop after a full year of driving is back and bigger than ever! :D

sonofagun
11-11-2002, 19:49
Tom,

Thanks for the insight. Gona get one. Would like to see someone who pulls 12000 - 13000# give the same report in the conservative tow mode. Have you
had any experience there?

Regards,

Bob

Maxter
11-11-2002, 20:03
SOAG:

You'll have my full report in a week or two. I tow a 12000-15000 # wood trailer almost every week and my juice box was ordered last week. Since I'm in Canada, I should have it within a few days... My version will be 4.61 I think.

I only do 25% highway, It's mostly very hilly roads in wich I hope to stay in 5th more often and maybe save some fuel. That's the phony reason I gave myself to get the box; save some fuel and pay for it in a few years...

See ya.

Idle_Chatter
11-11-2002, 20:43
Nope, no towing experience with the Juice, Bob. I'm a real "light weight" when it comes to towing. I pull a U-Haul full of junk every now and then between jobs. Did pull a buddy's Nissan Frontier down to Richmond, VA this Summer on a U-Haul car trailer (the Dmax pulled that toy truck and trailer like it wasn't there and I got 18 mpg for the round trip, loaded down - unloaded return). I tell you one thing, it seems to me that although the Juice won't add fuel/power until the engine reaches operating temperature, I could swear that the transmission programming is "on" all the time. I've got gauges to install and have only used the level 4 for short bursts about a half a dozen times. I'm really happy with level 2 and will see how the combination of EGTs/drivability/fuel mileage works out between level 2 and 3 soon. I may wind up staying in level 2 (forgive me, Mackin and company!) cause it suits me and how I want to drive just fine so far! Matter of fact, I'm nearing the end of a full tank driven on Juice level 2 and it looks like I'm going to get 20 mpg or better in daily commuting. ;)

Mark Heiken
11-11-2002, 21:24
I tow a 30 ft 5er with mine, juice on level 2. Not at 12k, more like 9 to 10 but it's in the air for lots of clearance over box. The power is great! Really levels out those 6-7000 ft. passes. Temps stay within decent levels- 1250 to maybe 1300. No oter mods at this time.

imported_
11-12-2002, 00:45
i have pulled a 5wheel flatdeck loaded with barley for the cows.... total weight at the scales was 27,790 lbs...... pulled like a dream on level 2 .... level 3 to pass... and the hot level for is just for some unloaded rice cooking.... juice is good.... some like it hot.....others... not ... but my total experience with aaron and ash and edge has been great.... awesome company and hey..... i love picking up 2 mpgal (us) empty is now sitting at 20 -23 us hwy miles...(over) loaded like this was 13..... i love this truck..... i miss the looks of my dodge v-10 but this truck and the juice will leave it for dead!!!! and less $$$ on fuel to boot!!!