PDA

View Full Version : AC compressor whine

DURA-MAX3
07-30-2002, 09:11
Most everybody i have talked to has the ac compressor whine and i talked to the dealer about this yesterday, he said that that noise is the compressor running noise coming through the ac lines into the truck. He said that he has experienced that with other makes and models and that he has wraped the lines with a good insulation material and dramaticly decreased the noise or stopped it completly. I am going to try this soon and will post back with the results...

txguppy
07-31-2002, 16:59
Hey DMax3, I too "hear" the compressor when it kicks in. How much of the A/C lines did the dealer say to cover, and do you have to go thru the firewall?

Thanx, txguppy

DURA-MAX3
07-31-2002, 23:28
He didn't say any thing about running it through the firewall, but said wrapping it with a good insulation like foam pipe wrap or something would help reduce the noise of the compressor that is coming through the hoses and into the truck. This is what he believes will work, i haven't gotten around to it yet but will shortly...

SoCalDMAX
08-01-2002, 09:18
As soon as I got my truck, I insulated all of the AC hoses that had condensation on them. I used neoprene, it cost only $5. I did this for efficiency reasons, but I suppose it could cut down on noise. My A/C blows ice cubes in low (A/C light off.) I've never heard any whining noises associated with the A/C.

I'd also check hose routing to ensure it's not rubbing on something, a lot of people have reported finding it rubbing the intercooler on the PS front.

Good luck, Regards, Steve