PDA

View Full Version : Where to get + and - for pyrometer

schnier
07-30-2002, 10:26
I need to know where is a good place to pull a positve and negative wire under the dash for a pyrometer. Is there a plug you can buy at the dealer or can I just jump off of the trailer brake controller for these two wires. Any inside help is appreciated. On my old truck there was a junction box for acc under the hood by thr firewall, but this one does not have one.

dschroeder
07-30-2002, 10:35
I pulled power from my fuse block on the side of the drivers side dash. I used the 10Amp fuse for ignition. I used some fuse taps you can buy at NAPA. They carry both the small fuse style and large fuse style. They are kind of a pain to get in with the fuse at the same time. Use a neddle nose pliers. I got my ground from the nut on the dash frame just a few inches to the front of the truck from the fuse block. I bought a second nut and spun it on with my ground jammed between the factory nut and my new one. There is a nice write up on one of the older topics I thought on TDP. Check and see. It was an informative piece on gauges and the install of pyrometer and boost gauges.

IndigoDually
07-30-2002, 12:34
I did it the same way as dschroeder did, and while you are there you can tap into the fused side of the "ILLUM" circuit to power the gauge lighting. This way they will dim with the instrument cluster.

John

schnier
07-30-2002, 12:59
Thanks for the idea, I will go get a fuse tap and give it try tonight.