PDA

View Full Version : About that 300 HP

Burner
11-12-2002, 00:18
Ok so this is a dumb question..... Is the Duramax motor built here or in Japan? Just got me to thinking about the law over there. I remember something about not being able to produce a car or truck with more than a 300 HP motor? Japan wants no cars on the their roads with more than 300 HP. That would explain the power increase we feel in our 03's, with no number differences.?

Burner :rolleyes:

Black Dog
11-12-2002, 06:36
Yup, dumb question :D The motor is built in Ohio, and it is capable of a LOT more than 300hp, just with changes to the programming for fuel injector pulse width and timing. Buyers of '04 models will likely get to use some of that hp, as does everyone with the Juice etc.

Burner
11-12-2002, 09:42
Perhaps I should have been more specific? Is the motor assembled here or accually made here?

Burner

D-max Man
11-12-2002, 10:07
The parts are sourced globally. The blocks come from Germany, Cylinder heads and pistons come from Japan, fuel system components come from Germany, Checz Republic, Mexico and Charleston S.C. etc...

The induction hardening and final machining of the blcoks, final machining and assembly of valves/heads, split fracturing of the Conn. rods etc... and engine assembly is done in Marine, Ohio

conradv
11-12-2002, 11:39
And GM owns 60% of the Duramax now, so don't let anyone tell you it's a rice burner... ;)

SoCalDieselNewbie
11-12-2002, 13:05
Geesh conradv.... what are you trying to do? Blow mine and SoCalDMax's cover?

conradv wrote - "And GM owns 60% of the Duramax now, so don't let anyone tell you it's a rice burner..."

Dude, I have been telling all the kiddies in their hondas and nissans that my truck is a rice burner too. It is "Powered by Izusu".

Alot easier to get races and take their money that way.

Hey SoCalDmax... I think we might need a few of those "Powered by Izusu" bumper stickers for the drags.