PDA

View Full Version : First post, first oil change, first ticking.

Tom W
11-12-2002, 08:02
Bought a 2002 GMC Crew Cab in September. Really love the truck, which is my first diesel. Have been able to get a wealth of information just from lurking on this site. Thanks to all for sharing information.
Anyway, changed my oil at 1700 miles using Delo 400 and the black OEM oil filter. After changing the oil the ticking started. Seems to tick the worst when first started. I am really not worried since others have experienced the same, but makes me wonder since just two components were changed,(oil and filter), if one of these are to blame. Has anyone thought about the noise coming from the filter, maybe the internal filter canister moving under oil pressure.
Also, just for general information, I cut open the used oil filter and found lots of what looked like very small flakes of aluminum, and other small particles. Looks like the oil should be changed the first time as soon as possible to remove all this stuff left over from machining.
Thanks again for all the great information.
Tom Wilkinson in NC

ChopperBill
11-12-2002, 08:25
Did my first oil change at 2000 miles. Tick was still there.(Delvac 1300) After a 2500 mile vacation. Tick is gone, but comes up every once in a while. Kind of miss it in someways. Gives the D-Max its own personality. :D

Paintdude
11-12-2002, 08:55
I changed mine at 500 miles then at 2500 miles with oil anayasis..It came back just fine..then changed it at 5000 miles..Then I run the recommended intervals..I also have changed my trans filter at the 2500 and 5000 engine oil changes and will change it every engine oil change from here on out..

This truck just plain ROCKS!! The more I drive it the more I just LUV it..... smile.gif

MaxRock
11-12-2002, 10:01
Tom W, first of all let me welcome you to the site. I hope you enjoy your truck as much as I do mine.

I also use Delo 400 with the Champion filter. I do notice the tick sometimes right after the oil is changed. It seems to go away pretty quick. I keep a log of my oil change intervals, type of oil, oil filter...just in case this innocent little tick becomes something else.

MaxRock

BLUMAX
11-12-2002, 12:48
First off welcome Tom smile.gif Like you I've stuck with the 'ol dino Delo 400, my 1st couple changes at 500 & 2500 miles, no tick. First heard it at 5000 mile change, but only for a few days when first started and it was cold, then went away. At 10000 mile change nothing, it's now got 12000 and still quiet. Everytime I use OEM filter, so who knows, others have had it with no problems, but keep listening just in case. Anyway congrats on your truck and many happy miles!

Russ Denman
11-13-2002, 12:57
I remember reading that GM stated the tick was caused by small air bubbles in the oil popping when they hit the hot bearings.

It makes sense because it is impossible to prefill the oil filter and then put it on without losing any oil. The tic does go away after about 1000 miles so the air in the filter must be evacuated over time.

stutzismydog
11-13-2002, 20:30
Well gentlemen I too have just experience my first oil change ticking noise on a 03 Duramax. I changed the engine oil at 1500 miles with Delo 400 and used a Wix #57202 oil filter and also changed the Ally. filter being careful about the magnet on the filter top,filled it up with Valvoline durablend dex.III ,and greased all 11 zerk fittings. When I first started the engine I heard what sounded like a valve ticking for 10 to 15 seconds then it stopped