PDA

View Full Version : AM I PARANOID?!?!?!

EscaladeDiesel
11-08-2004, 07:22
Since its been a year since I have really gotten to drive the suburban I am not sure if all the noises I am hearing are normal or not, but I am so paranoid the engine is going to crater I can't even enjoy driving it...............Here's what's GOOD ............. Starts up with ease........No smoke at start up.....No smoke under harder acceleration ..... Plenty of power ..... oil pressure stays at 40 ..... temp stays at 190 .... rpm's are at approx. 2400 @ 70 mph ..... turbo kicks in as necessary .................... Here's what's Troubling ...................... Loud rattle from the engine compartment @ cold start (not as loud & sometimes not present when warm/hot) ........ Engine seems twice as loud as it was before it was put back together ......... At 60 to 65 mph a distinctive noise (thud more than rattle) can be heard (almost sounds like tire road noise) has a rhythm to it seems to reduces when you let off the throttle ......... When stepping on the accelerator rpm's are normal, but the engine seems to make FAR more "diesel" clatter than it EVER did.......... when engine is turned off there is a final "shake" of the engine I don't remember having previously.

The harmonic balancer was not replaced, mech said it looked fine, but maybe he was mistaken.

[ 11-08-2004, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: EscaladeDiesel ]

moondoggie
11-08-2004, 08:27
Good Day!

Harmonic Balancer is ALWAYS worth a really good look - replace if unsure of age and/or condition.

Sorry, can't help with the rest.

DennisG01
11-08-2004, 12:06
When the engine is cold and the weather is cold, my engine is LOUD for 10 seconds or so after starting. Then it quiets down...a little bit, anyway.

markrinker
11-08-2004, 12:08
I understand the intrepidation of having a 'new' motor clattering under the hood, after a failed one. After shelling out major $$$ for a used motor and then paying about as much for installation and performance upgrades, I have been 'jumpy' for over 30K miles...30K troublefree miles!

I think the best advice is to relax and trust that you have a good motor this time. Easier said than done, right?

As for the new 'diesel rattle', you might have your injection timing (re-)checked. Sounds like it might be advanced more than you are used to.

catmandoo
11-08-2004, 15:39
when i went from my 92 pickup to my new to me 94 sub it sounded totally different,and i drove the sub for a month while working on my 92,well after getting back in my 92,i would swear to god somethings going thru the side of the block,man i don't remember it hammering that way before,but after about a month it just seems like old hat.i think its the complacency thing,you drive a diesel every day for whatever ,then get in a gasser and man what happened,no engine noise,then you get back in the diesel and man this babies comin apart and fast,yet it doesn't,just have to get adjusted to the sounds.i think she'll be just fine