PDA

View Full Version : Help w/squeak

afp
01-08-2004, 15:10
My truck has about 21K and just developed an intermittent squeak. Kind of sounds like an Alt or tensioner pulley bearing. It is the same kind of sound as the squeak we get whn shutting off the engine. However, when I got out my automotive stethescope to isolate it, it went away.

Is there anything anyone else has run across like this?

Blaine

[ 01-08-2004, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: afp ]

ACCRASH
01-09-2004, 09:22
afp,
I have the same problem with my truck. It's more like a bearing squeal. Sounds similar to a belt squealing, though, not as loud. Also, seems to be worse when it's cold. Usually goes away after driving a couple of miles. I know it's not the belt, just wondering if maybe the bearing in the tensioner is going.

Chuck

DIESELMAX403
01-09-2004, 09:46
afp,

I have experienced the same noise, but only for a few days. It seems to have gone away.

I'll post a reply if it comes back.

DieselMax403

afp
01-09-2004, 16:24
Guys,

Thanks. Mine did seem to occur more when it the OAT was cold. Today was warmer and it wouldn't do it.

DIESELMAX403
01-09-2004, 16:59
How ironic; right after I said my sqeak went away, it came back. It squeaks a little while running and more noticeable during shut down. It sounds like a bearing is going out. Will post if I find out what is causing it.

DieselMax403

Oongawah
01-10-2004, 00:36
My wife's Yukon with 5.3 did that real bad last winter. I replaced the belt and it went away for the whole year. It just started again last month for this winter. Expensive belt, but didn't want anyone else touching it. My Grandfather is a mechanic and he said the belts, and pulleys are so closely fitted that when it gets cold the pulleys shrink a bit and the belt squeaks as the grooves are released. I did notice the new belt last year had grit imbedded in it. He said he sand blasted the pulley surfaces on one once, and it cured the problem. My Max doesn't do it until I post this. Hope all goes well, Chuck.

Minn-kota
01-10-2004, 19:09
Yep, mine does the same thing. But I have to rule out cold weather as the cause since I had it show up this summer and it was fairly warm.

It started squeaking again last night and today, but when I left the lake after fishing tonight it wasn't. ????

afp
01-11-2004, 18:43
I cought mine while squeaking and put a stethescope on it. The squeak does not come from any accessory or the idler pulles or tensionor. I couldn't get the probe close to the harmonic balancer, but I doubt the squeak is there. It might just be a belt issue, and maybe we need a new belt every year or two to keep the squeak away.

Blaine