PDA

View Full Version : FUEL Range LIES......................

roadrat68
01-08-2004, 15:49
I have a O4 with the computer that tells you your fuel range on how many miles you have till your empty well it lies, it said I had 45 miles till i ran out of fuel but my gauge was in the red and low fuel light was on.um thir is no way this thing is right because when i filled up i put 32 gal. of fuel in the tank......... anyone else have this problem is their a fix?

Ayron
01-08-2004, 16:14
That's weird because I've got mine down to 35 miles and the fuel light never came on! :confused:

DinoMax
01-08-2004, 16:29
There are so many factors that go into the calculation, that it will drive you crazy. You are better off ignoring it tongue.gif The computer bases the "range" left by calculating your average mpg and multiplying that by remaining fuel. Problem is, fuel mileage varies by conditions, and the average the computer uses is based on total fuel consumption to date, not current economy, and unless you reset everything everytime you fuel up, you have a skewed pg avg. If you have never reset your avg. mpg reading, that reading is based on fuel mileage from day/mile 1. Personally, I just look at my fuel gauge and trip meter. Once you get some more time & mileage on your truck, you will have a good idea on how many miles you can travel per tank. Good Luck, DinoMax :D :D

ore.diesel
01-08-2004, 16:49
I USE MINE FOR A APPROXIMATE AMOUNT OF FUEL AND DO NOT RELY UPON IT. I USE ALL OF THE FUEL AND MILAGE FIGURES FROM THE DIC AS AN ABOUT THAT MUCH OR SO. I HAVE CHECKED MY FUEL GAUGE WHEN IT HITS THE RED BY HOW MUCH THE TANK WILL TAKE ON THE FILL-UP. CARRIED FUEL IN A CAN WHILE RUNNING IT DOWN TO THE RED. I AM A BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY GUY. ***T MY THOUGHTS.

dakotakid
01-08-2004, 19:46
I don't have that particular setup in my dmax, but I do in our gas sub and just use it as a general guideline. My dmax is LS model and doesn't have that. In my dmax, the first time I pulled my camper I did get my low fuel light to turn on (20 miles from station). Made it to town and put in 26.5 gallons. I thought the tank held 28, but later realized that it held 26, so I was about as close to running out as you can get when I filled the 26.5 - it is a wonder it didn't shut off...

ore.diesel
01-08-2004, 22:13
Sounds like your sub was out also.