PDA

View Full Version : Spoolin'It We's has to converse

mackin
07-30-2002, 16:12
Your buddy who is doing the SEWER PIPE exhaust , can he bend some 5' pipe?

This is where I'm at ... Went with BANKS it was all about the sound.....Wanted a 5" system, wanted at least 409 SS grade, didn't want aluminized....Banks sells nothing in 5"...... Wasn't going to pay for a complete 304 SS system at ATS.......

Don't want no tip......Yucky pooh......

So I'm constructing, or hoping to, a 5" tailpipe.....You cannot buy 5" pipe in 409 and all though I have strip, in all types, I have no means to roll form and seam weld 409 SS, or others ...... I can get 410 SS but this is heat treatable as 420 SS steel and the finish is to dull......

So here it is, I can, and will get a piece of 304SS in exhaust pipe wall thickness . 033 ish x 5" x 6,'but finding someone to bend locally has been a pain so far...... Can your buddy help me out here? What you think? Most of the ,if not all, 5" systems are Cold Rolled Steel,aluminized......
I E-mail one looking for just a tailpipe for *hits and grins, said he didn't want to break up a system.......HUH? What if all I needed was a tail section do to a wreck would I need to buy an entire system? I didn't care since I don't want aluminized anyway, but kinda cocky if you ask me........

MAC

mackin
07-31-2002, 16:50
TTT

Talk to me help me drown the voices in my head....... tongue.gif

Got some quotes back on SS 304 pipe.035x5"........Sit down, nearly $77 dollars a foot and min length 20'.......Put that in your pipe and smoke it....Still looking, told him, in a nice way, no thanks...... Still cannot find 409, seems the exhaust makers have it rolled formed from strip, on there own.....Don't suppose Banks would tell me ...... Not a possibility for me unless I can get about 100 of you guys to get one ..... HE HE HEEE

Still haven't given up.... I may buy an aluminized pipe to see how crappie it looks against the rest.....

What is the ATS system anyone know?Is it a 5" system? I can't remember.....Those with the duals,how does the passenger pipe come off the muffler? Like the stock one?

MAC :D

[ 07-31-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

CSDMAX
07-31-2002, 17:42
Hey Mac,

The ATS is a 4 inch 409 stainless exhaust system with a 304 brushed stainless muffler along with a 5 inch slash cut polished 304 SS tip.

Don

[ 08-01-2002: Message edited by: CSDMAX ]</p>

Kennedy
07-31-2002, 22:09
Uh, hey Mackin, unless I am missing something your Banks system is ALUMINIZED. It's just the core steel that is different...

304 bends hard AND is hard on equipment (benders/dies etc.) I looked into it, but the price is through the roof!

mackin
08-01-2002, 09:29
JK,

Tiss all 409, no aluminized exterior........Much brighter then an aluminized system.How well,long will it last? Infinite scotchbrite,and Mothers buffing,so a long time,well the tailpipe anyway......

MAC :D

[ 08-01-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

hoot
08-01-2002, 09:48
For big exhaust like that you might want to look into a shop that deals with big rigs. There should be someone that does custom exhaust for big trucks.

Raptorrider2001
08-01-2002, 10:59
If you do not find what you want, you might take a look at ceramic coating your pipe. It not only looks good, but increases the hp. Take a look at http://www.jet-hot.com/

mackin
08-01-2002, 14:17
hoot,

Thats what my buddy said too...... His MACK'S in the yard have Chrome 5" stacks on them.......The only thing is they use alot of flex pipe off the stacks......Bending capabilities?Still searching around I got time no rush......

MAC

mackin
08-01-2002, 14:22
Raptorrider2001,

HHHMMMMM , now there is a possibility.....The sterling looks like polished aluminum....I sent them a E mail .......Thanks.....

MAC smile.gif

Spoolin'It
08-02-2002, 19:38
Can't really help you here. My friend bought aluminized 90's & 45's and cut them to fit where needed. He had the entire system coated at Airborn Coatings in E.Hartford when it was done.
There has to be someone bending 5" because I saw a trailer dump the other day on 91 with twin chrome 5" stacks. Guy was out of Milldale, don't remember the name of the trucking company. Whatever you do make sure you include a muffler, we didn't in the first trial and it was damn loud (almost annoying). After getting pulled over twice in 2 days, a muffler was quickly added.

mackin
08-02-2002, 19:49
Spoolin'It,

Thanks for the reply.. I'm still looking but have hit so many snags locating SS pipe it's pathetic ...... Either the wrong Alloy or ya got to buy a DAM truck load just about.....So either I'll go with a prebent plain Jane aluminized coated tailpipe,or get it stripped and coated at =&gt;http://www.jet-hot.com/ if the price is reasonable (fair).... Cause I'll tell you dude if I got a Polished Aluminum 5" ER outback it will look unreal.......LOL Off course it will probably cost me more then a entire 4" BANKS system I got on.......Whatch ya gonna do......

MAC :D tongue.gif :D

[ 08-02-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Spoolin'It
08-02-2002, 21:05
Just curious why you're going through the hassle of shipping to jet-hot when Airborn in Hartford does ceramic coating?? You can drop-off/pick up from them rather than go through the hassle of shipping an exhaust system back and forth to jet-hot? I'll try to find out what they charged him to coat his system.

[ 08-02-2002: Message edited by: Spoolin'It ]</p>

Billy14
08-03-2002, 02:11
mackin,

I use 4.5" O.D. x .065 wall 304 stainless DOM (drawn over mandrel) tube on my machines. Cost me around $19.00/ft. & cut to any length. Tubes normally run around .010" concentricity.

Want me to check on 5"? Give me your EXACT specs.

Billy

mackin
08-03-2002, 04:50
Billy14 ,

Sure .... .065 is way to thick to put the bends in.....The spec would be .035 ish (lighter is better on tolerance) x 5" od x EH, I'll take six feet in 304 ,301,321,317,316 what ever is laying around ,a "shorty left over", 2B finish or better no DULL (2D)......Would prefer 409 grade same specs easier to bend ,brightest finish to be had......
Thanks Man......

Spoolin'it what kind of finishes does Airborn do?Same as the other? Cause heck ya I'll go there.......

Tanks,

MAC

Spoolin'It
08-03-2002, 10:59
Mac,
Airborn does the same as all the others. Check out their site airborncoatings.com. I have had some work done through them also, no problems.

mackin
08-03-2002, 13:41
Spoolin'It,

Well, tanks man looks like $10 bucks a foot ......Now all I have to do is find a tailpipe......A Simple task.......Just to get someone to sell me??????? Ted Jannety said he'll get me one but at what cost?I got to serf around on the 5" systems on the web.....Not to many on the D-max,anyone with some copy paste's appreciated.....

=&gt;http://www.airborncoatings.com/customer/pricelis.html

MAC smile.gif