PDA

View Full Version : Which Intake?Exhaust?Muffler?

01F350SRW
11-12-2002, 16:51
Aight fellas, its time to let my dmax breath, her heavy load smothers her. I'm adding an exhaust, 5" of course, I haven't decided whether to use a muffler or not, whats does a straight piped DMAX sound like, if they're isn't a sound clip around, can someone give me a detailed explanation, I would appreciate it.

Anyways, which intake system is the best? The most free flowing w/ max. filtration? Also, I wanna hear my turbo whistle, its very quiet, does plugging the waste gate have any negative effects on this baby?

pullinpower
11-12-2002, 17:40
01F350SRW why dont you have any pics of your rig?

matt-max
11-12-2002, 21:29
i have had great experience with the k&n intake system w/conical filter. i think its called a fipk or something.

i just switched from 01 to 03 dmax and the lack of the whistle (still barely audible) without the intake is a nice change....for a while. i'm starting to want the extra coolness factor again.

it did (?) occassionally throw a maf code but no noticeable driveability issues. it always cleared itself pretty quick.

the big reason for putting it back on is the quicker spool up. the truck noticeably lags now on full stomp rolling or off the line. i used to get an immediate puff of black (juiced, of course) and rocket thrust.

of course this could be a result of not yet installing the kenndy 4" from the 01 on the new one. it is really great sounding and makes a noticeable difference in respose. but its a little loud for my tastes, mainly because this new truck is so freakin' quiet...it blows my mind! no one that rides in it has any idea it is a diesel until i tell them.

and i kinda hate to noisy it up. but i will. the additional lunge right off throttle is missed too much...

matt

i too would like to see a pic of your truck. how much didi the springs set you back?

matt-max
11-12-2002, 21:33
oh yeah, and i am researching replacement mufflers too. i'd like to get one with a little less bark or rasp to it.

don't get me wrong...it sounds great. listening to the dealer's trade-in guy blast out of the dealership and get rubber halfway through second was a great experience. i had never heard it from outside the truck before.

but it does resonate a bit from about 1500-1600. not an rpm that you spend much time, but it gets your attention.

matt