PDA

View Full Version : questions regarding 6.5 na.turbow motors

joe hatfield
03-05-2005, 22:17
i have aquired my 6.5 n/a motor, checks out good. 506 block build date of 02/97. i have had it running on the engine stand and it sounds good, carries 385 to 410 psi comp. in all cyclinders. 20 lbs op while cranking 40+ running. i have to change my water pump as i have the serpentine belt system not the v-belt. will have to remove the fuel pump to allow for the turbo oil return (any problems there?) will change the manifold and related pieces to allow for the turbo.
the questions i have are these.

1 cylinder head diffenence (pre-combustion chamber size)? i have the heads off of the old 6.5 turbo that i can install (4000 miles since rebuild)that i can use if need be.

2 piston oilers (5 or 6) with this block?

3 it has the db-2 pump does anyone know if the pump settings will need to be changed? ie fuel flow ect.

4 which of the electrical connectors is used for fuel flow on the db-2 pump?

any info you have would be helpfull
thanks

quickv6
03-05-2005, 22:37
I found a 93 NA 6.5 that has 599 block. I am also wondering what will need to be changed to to use with a turbo.

Barry Nave
03-06-2005, 04:03
Question
#1 Go with the 4K heads,new Fel-Pro gasket and GM TTY head bolts.
#2 should be 8
#3 Can be turned up a 1/4 of a turn(done at pump) EGT gage needed on how far one should,could go.
#4 None Elect. control of fuel delivery
You can install a turbo unit off a 6.5 turbo as long as you get all the parts. Turbo,air box,intake Manafold,Mech.boost control,Ex. elbow and Ex. system.
Gale Banks also sell's turbo units as do others.

joe hatfield
03-06-2005, 11:38
you'll have to excuse my post from last night, as it was composed after more scotch than needed.
i understand that db-2 is a mech. pump, however it does have 3 electrical connections. i don't have a book on it so i don't know which goes where.
i would assume that one is for the fuel shutdown switch and should be normally closed, with no power. i am thinking that the other two are for the high idle and possibly the tach driver? anyone know or know where i could find a wiring diagram for that pump.

BobND
03-06-2005, 11:47
There are two "tab" connectors on top of the pump. The one nearest the front (with the wider tab) is the fuel solenoid, engergized for "run". The more rearward connector on top of the pump is the "HPCA" (housing pressure cold advance) to which power is applied to advance injection timing for cold starts.

If you are seeing another connector, you must be referring to one located on a switch or sensor located at the RH end of the throttle shaft. This is to control torque convertor lockup, and may include provisions to control the EGR vacuum solenoids in some applications.

joe hatfield
03-06-2005, 12:27
thanks bobnd thats what i needed to know