PDA

View Full Version : Another injector problem

Wont Goof Again
11-12-2002, 20:22
Well... after about 14000 kms or so (~8400 miles), the DMax had developped a knocking sound from around 1700 to 2300 RPMs or so. It seems to be worse when the DMax is at operating temperature and when the outside temperature is colder (around 0 C / 32 F).

Took it into the dealer today and they performed some tests and have determined that the #8 injector is on its way south. They have ordered a new injector which is suppose to arrive later this week. In the meantime, they say to keep driving...

Is the dealer correct or will driving with the knocking hurt something?

Paul

2002 Silverado 2500HD D/A CC LB 4x4

Paintdude
11-12-2002, 20:33
I wouldn`t drive it..Fuel is a lubercant of sorts..Lack of it means wear..IMO...

My 2 cents....

Good Luck..

Landscaper
11-12-2002, 20:59
I have a similar sound but haven't gone to the dealer yet. Sounds like a spark knock same conditions as discribed. I only have 12k on the truck. :(

trout49
11-13-2002, 08:30
I too have the same sound. at least I think it's the same sound. Does it sound like a jack hammer or maybe a sewing machine with a loud tap? I have 6100 miles and it has sounded this way since I drove it off the lot! I thought it was the way a diesel sounds. I have nothing to use for reference. Not too many DMAX around here
I have an appointment Fri. to get it checked out. My dealer has only sold a couple DMAX, so they are learning too. Mine is loudest from 1500 to 2200 RPM.

Wont Goof Again
11-13-2002, 19:57
trout49 asked:
"Does it sound like a jack hammer or maybe a sewing machine with a loud tap?"

Yep... that's probably a pretty good description of the noise. This is my 2nd DMax and the first one never made this noise in the 15 months I had it. Towards the end of this past summer, when really, really hot and while towing the trailer with the A/C on, you could just hear a slight tapping noise with the radio off in 4th gear, tow/haul on around 2200 RPMs, but that was it.

Now that it's been getting colder outside and now that the fuel is being blended for the winter, I can easily hear the noise without towing. It's even load enough to hear above the radio... and is present between 1700 and 2300 RPMs.

We'll see how well the dealer does as I believe this is their first injector replacement on a DMax...

Paul

Paintdude
11-13-2002, 20:34
Just wondering.....Do any of you guys run fuel addatives????

trout49
11-13-2002, 20:41
Paintdude:
I started using stanadyne two tanks ago and it has helped some. Not quite as loud and engine seems to run a bit smoother.
This knocking sound is really starting to bother me. I have to find out if it is a bad injector.
What town in Illinois are you from. I live in Windsor.

Paintdude
11-13-2002, 20:48
I am straight north of you on RT 32 in the big town of CISCO...... :D Turner Auto Body I am in the Decatur area wide book, in the yellow pages..

Do you know any of the Elson family down there, they race pulling FORD Tractors..

you have some of the best deisel performace guys around Illinois there in Effingham..

[ 11-13-2002: Message edited by: Paintdude ]</p>

NutNbutGMC
11-15-2002, 17:38
PaintDude.... Heyworth / Bloomington here. Good to know about the diesel doctors in the area. I just had 2 fuel injectors replaced under warranty. A wrencher at a stealership did a fairly good job, so far as I can tell. Took him 2.5 weeks though...

Paintdude
11-15-2002, 18:50
I get up to Bloomington all the time in the Summer on the Motorcycle..We dyno our stuff at Burrells on 51..One of my best buddies is a home builder in Heyworth..Younker Construction...

The best deisel guys are down south Effingham area..The best allison guys are in Springfield..

Wont Goof Again
11-18-2002, 18:10
Paintdude:
No additives... didn't use any in my first DMax either and didn't have any problems with the injectors. The new Dmax is being fueled at the same gas station as the old one was...

Paul

Wont Goof Again
12-09-2002, 21:01
Well... the dealer finally got all the parts and I made an appointment to get the injector changed. Went in last Wednesday... the dealer was going to see if they could replace it the same day. By early afternoon, they realized that they would not be able to finish.

Picked it up on Thursday... tapping sound is gone. AND, the truck appears to have "more getup and go..." I had alway found that the 2002 was a bit sluggish mid throttle from about 1700 - 2400 RPMs when compared to my 2001. Now it seems definitively on par with the old truck... not sure why???

Hopefully this was the only problem...

Paul

NFLDMAX
12-10-2002, 05:50
Glad to hear it smile.gif