PDA

View Full Version : New LLY d-max

mark45678
01-09-2004, 18:17
WHO here has a NEW lly duramax or is expecting theres to come in soon? I have been holding off ordering a new truck until I hear some feed back! smile.gif

Julian Allen
01-09-2004, 18:23
I ordered a 3500 CC yesterday.
Might be in in 6-8 wks--I'll give you the feedback.

BarryD
01-10-2004, 07:59
My GMC 2500 CC SB is arriving around the 22nd. Dealer needs it for 3 days for the extras. :D :D :D

mtomac
01-10-2004, 19:42
I test drove a LLY in a GMC RC LB on friday.

DURA-MAX3
01-10-2004, 21:13
And......It took your breath away and you can't tell us any details...How was it, better or worse...

SoCalDMAX
01-10-2004, 22:56
Welllll....

The cab was smaller than a crewcab.

And the bed was longer than a shortbed.

And the dealer got a litte upset when I took it to the sled pull... but other than that, it was OK. :D

saywhat
01-11-2004, 05:47
I can not wait to see under the hood with my own eyeballs!Maybe the fuel filteration has been brought up to date like 2 microns.And maybe the air supply for the air cleaner comes from another source other than the hot engine compartment.Them two improvements would be another milestone for the Duramax powered truck.

James S
01-11-2004, 06:18
Hey There,

This is the exact definition of torture!!!! When, the socalDMAX, or BRAT, will not tell us about the LLY engine!!!!!!!! To ease the torture we are all feeling, I will do my best to tell you about it. As you know there is the variable vain turbo, increased horse power [15 horse power increase] and a torque increase of now 600 feet of OEM TORQUE!!! The emissions is fifty-percent reduced/better, the engine is quieter than the LB7. [I heard one yesterday at a dealer] It runs smoother. There has been changes to the fuel filteration, down to two-micron rating thanks to Racor. The injectors can be replaced by the owner, which is cool, I think. The injectors are ABOUT sixty bucks each, and there is a little door in the engine, that you just open, and pop the old ones out and the new ones just snap in. No more two-thousand dollars to replace injectors.
The exhaust system size has not been increased [still 3.5 inches] but I heard there is a less-restrictive muffler being used. It definitely sounds deeper at idle. I don't know this for sure though.
I went for a quick spin in this truck yesterday, and there is AN AMAZING difference in the pick up, especially in first and second gears, and fourth and fifth, especially fifth, so when you pass, you don't have to down shift as much. I think the fuel filteration and injectors are the big needed improvements, and a little more power, IS ALWAYS FUN!!!! Hope this helps. Any questions, fire away. Talk to you soon.

James
PS, Anyone who knows socalDMAX can physically torture him for what he is doing to us!!! LOL
tongue.gif :D smile.gif

stutzismydog
01-11-2004, 09:08
What did they do to the fuel filter to improve it, and can it be retrofitted to the 03 model???

James S
01-11-2004, 09:21
Hey There,

I am not exactly sure what was done to the filtration. That was what I was told, that it had been improved for 04. The only things I could varify were the engine sound, response, exhaust sound, and emissions. Maybe Kennedy or dmaxali Tech can help me with this one.

James

sdaver
01-11-2004, 18:40
I think steve was refering to tomac :D

mtomac
01-11-2004, 19:46
It feels like more than a 10hp/70ft# increase compared to the 02 RC LB Chevy w/LB7 motor in the Tomac Pulling stable. The torque coming in sooner and the VVT probably account for this. The automatic high idle is nice, it kicked in when I was fueling it up on the test drive. It had 5 miles and a low fuel light on when I left the dealer lot with the keys, some fuel $$ and a plate. It had 25 miles on it when I returned. Don't worry, I drove it respectably since I can flog my own truck whenever I want. The VVT whistles almost as loud as my truck with a not so stock airbox and filter. The feeling of the turbo "kicking in" when you hit 2nd gear is gone with the LLY. I checked under the hood and it matches the pics that have been floating around and the cutaway LLY motor I saw at the auto show in Detroit on Saturday.

turbovair
01-12-2004, 11:30
Tell us more about the little door on the engine you open to replace injectors......

dmaxmule
01-12-2004, 12:37
I went to the local GMC dealer today. Actually I just got home from there.(Rusty Wallace Pontiac-Cadillac-GMC)

I asked about the new engine and all the changes. There were several of them. Most of them have been talked abou on this forum. The most asked about one now is the fuel filtration. The service manager looked at he new service manual that came in for the LLY engine. It read that "the fuel filitration is similar". It did not elaborate any more that I could see.

The new injectors are different. They are a little longer, and they just snap in. He said they were machined to fit.

It is available with the allison and the ZF transmissions; however, the HP and TQ numbers are different for the ZF.

Allison 310 HP @ 3000 RPM 590 lb.-ft @ 1600 RPM

ZF 300 HP @ 3000 RPM 520 lb.-ft @ 1600 RPM

I specked out a truck while I was there. $37214.68 is the supplier discount price.

2500HD CC 4WD SLE SB
Manual camper mirrors
40/20/40 seat
LLY engine
ML6 ZF 6 speed
G80 locker rear end
Polished Forged Aluminum wheels
6 way power driver seat
rubber floor covering
roof marker lamps
spare tire lock
skid plate package
Z82 Trailering equipment, Heavy Duty
UY2 Trailer wiring for camper 5er gooseneck
OPTIONS TOTAL = $5,360.00
MSRP = $41,995.00
supplier price = $37,214.68

I now just have to say order it please. I am thinking about it and it is hard to turn the money loose.
IF ANYONE HAS ANY ADVICE OR QUESTIONS, I AM LISTENING(reading :D )

VA_Dmax
01-12-2004, 17:29
dmaxmule, think you are making a awesome choice with the 6 speed. Love mine. One thought that I kind of regret is spending the money for the upgrade wheel and tire option. Now I think I should have just saved that money and gotten a aftermarket rim with some more width and tire with more bite. Just a thought, dont know what you are ordering. Other than that, your list of options looks like a nice one. I know that ordering feeling, did it last November. It was hard to say "GO" but once I did time didnt go fast enough till that thing got here.

AndyL
01-13-2004, 03:05
It is interesting the power ratings are different, isn't the ZF stronger than the Allison?

DmaxMaverick
01-13-2004, 14:11
It is interesting the power ratings are different, isn't the ZF stronger than the Allison? Not an argument of which tranny is stronger than the other. Both have strengths and weeknesses.

The Allison can monitor and "manage" torque, via the TCM/PCM exchange. An extreme example of this is "limp mode". Most of the time, the management occurs "under" the threshold (common defueling).

The manual tranny manages excess torque by allowing clutch slippage, which some will atest to, is not a good thing. This "allowed" slippage is not by design, but by exceding the physical limits of the clutch. Pretty hard for a computer to manage that.

CPMac632
01-13-2004, 21:36
The ZF is much stronger that the Allison. The only longevity problem is the flywheel in front of the ZF. The Allison equipped trucks can't even use the peak tq on the LB7 or much less the LLY because it is at a low enough rpm that it isn't usable with an automatic because it would downshift unless you had a tech 2 hooked up. The ZF therefore is already handling more power.

BarryD
01-14-2004, 13:41
My sales person just called and said my truck will be here a week earlier than planned. :D :D

My interest rate just went from 3.9% to 0%!!! :eek:
It just doesn't get any better.

First I got a great price then
I got the new motor for no extra charge
Now I am getting 0% financing.

This is the first time in 25+ years of driving I can say I finally got a good deal.

TDIwyse
01-16-2004, 05:15
Has anyone seen the torque and horsepower curves for this engine? I'm wondering if the torque curve is no longer flat. The reason I'm asking is because going from 520 to 590 ft-lbs is a 13.4% increase. If it makes this same torque across the same rpm range as the previous engine (it actually looks like the torque starts lower, but with the new turbo I'ld expect it to keep the same torque across the whole rpm band) shouldn't the horsepower also increase about 13% (since horse power is proportional to torque at engine rpm). This would put the horsepower at ~340. What's up with that?

Also, the official comment about fuel injectors needing service at 100,000 mls is not encouraging.

mark45678
01-16-2004, 08:04
TDI GM has been playing with the fuel curve to limit HP on the top end to protect the alli! thats what I think ,look at the HP numbers and graph once you chip the older dmax...It grows in HP the HIGHer the motor goes... these truck are at a point where there number are right in the game with everyone else but If your on top and dont have the trans up to the task and have 5% more failers because of HP/tq then whats the use..... I feal this is GM's safety net on the truck that WORK HARD all the time! Warrenty claims cost them ALOT of money! :eek:

carco
01-16-2004, 19:25
Ordered K2500HD D/A CC LB LT 1-13-04. Have order # but no TPW # yet. Been 11 good years with 93 K2500 6.5L EC LB 4L80E good truck may keep for parts running truck. bob ....

Brian W. Littleton
01-21-2004, 19:31
Well my new 3500 SRW D/A shipped last week and is due in soon but get this " the factory doesn't know the price yet and they can't provide the dealer with an invoice which means I can't take delivery until they make up their mind.
The deaqler went to his district rep and got the same story??? :confused:

BarryD
01-22-2004, 02:57
Picked the new truck yesterday and it's already got 300 kms on it. :D :D :D Even got to drive it in a snow storm. Nice vehicle, this is my first truck and I can't believe how nice it is to drive.

jbplock
01-22-2004, 06:15
[quote]Originally posted by BarryD:
[b] Picked the new truck yesterday

Buck
01-22-2004, 09:43
Originally posted by Brian W. Littleton:
Well my new 3500 SRW D/A shipped last week and is due in soon but get this " the factory doesn't know the price yet and they can't provide the dealer with an invoice which means I can't take delivery until they make up their mind.
The deaqler went to his district rep and got the same story??? :confused: That's the exact same story that I got. So I have been holding off ordering until these idiots :rolleyes: figure out what the price will be :confused: . I really can't understand what the pricing problem is. The SRW trucks use all existing HD truck parts. Even other trucks with the LLY have exact pricing, so that can't be it. It is really aggravating to say the least....

BarryD
01-22-2004, 09:54
Have you had chance to snoop around under the hood yet. Is it an LLY ? (injector return lines outside the valve covers). The LLY's are also rumored to have a slightly longer fuel filter too

James S
01-22-2004, 12:58
Hey Barryd

Do you have any experience with the LB7 engine? What is the LLY like, by itself, or compared to the LB7? What kind of milage were you getting, in litres per one-hundred kilometers? Tell us all about it! You're the first one with one, who can FINALLY tell us how the new engine is! Tell us everything! Talk to you soon.

James
PS, If it is that much better than the LB7, I just might trade my 03 in on one. I like the silver birch color, better than the black I have now.

mark45678
01-22-2004, 13:03
Hey any of you guys that have a LLY is there any way you could post a picture of the motor? TX I am getting the itch to buy a new ride..... Lets hope Edge gets the import killer ready quick! :eek:

BarryD
01-22-2004, 14:37
Hey Barryd

Do you have any experience with the LB7 engine? What is the LLY like, by itself, or compared to the LB7? What kind of milage were you getting, in litres per one-hundred kilometers? Tell us all about it! You're the first one with one, who can FINALLY tell us how the new engine is! Tell us everything! Talk to you soon.

I did not have a LB7. This is the first truck I have owned so I can't give much of a comparison. I drove all three multiple times before I decided on the Sierra.

The engine is quiet. I tested the drive thru last night and didn't even have to yell. In my buddies 2002 Dodge the engine has to be turned off at that drive thru.

The truck is awesome. I drove it in a snow storm last night and it was rock solid on the highway. Took it down some back roads with 5+ inches of powder and it plowed through no problem.

I am one happy camper! :cool:

James S
01-22-2004, 16:02
Hey Barryd

When you can, be sure to tell us what kind of milage you are getting in town, and on the highway.

James

BarryD
01-23-2004, 12:29
posted 01-22-2004 07:02 PM

Brian W. Littleton
01-23-2004, 16:52
FOLLOW-UP
Not only can't they tell me the price, they can't find out it's location. They know it was built 1/12/04 and I have the VIN# but they don't know if it shipped and we have going pretty high up the chain to find it. It was suggested they are just making sure it was built right???

mtomac
01-23-2004, 21:20
I saw a 3500 SRW LLY on the lot with a blank window sticker

JB6600
01-23-2004, 23:52
On my preliminary invoice for my MDT,it says......
"LLY........0.00"
"LRX........6810.00/5855.60 GMS"
I am assuming that the LRX is the MDT code for the LLY..........TPW is 2/23/04.

Brian W. Littleton
01-30-2004, 09:19
Finally received a delivery date of 2/9/04 at the
dealers and they have an invoice.

Inspector
01-30-2004, 16:13
BarryD:
When you get a chance to really look her over get a number off that stinking fuel filter.
Thanks
Denny