PDA

View Full Version : Best mod to add low RPM power?

Camstyn
08-25-2003, 02:37
I don't hot rod my truck around or anything, and I rarely rev over 2500RPM's, usually shift at 2000.. I'm impressed by the numbers that these new chips put out, but they don't concern me at all as it seems to be adding mostly high RPM power. Can anyone recommend a product or products that add significant power at 1000+ RPM's? This will be the most beneficial for my driving, and I imagine would be the best add-on for gaining fuel mileage as well.

Thanks! :D

sdaver
08-25-2003, 07:50
90 horse standard juice..........controller(in cab) should be out soon.......call john kennedy :D dave
welcome to the show :D

a64pilot
08-25-2003, 08:18
Something else to look at is TST's powermax as you can tailor the power curve, I.E. turn Tq. enhancement way up while leaving power turned down.
TST (http://www.tstproducts.com)
I believe that adding real power down low may result in high egt's and excessive powertrain stress, so be careful however you go. Are you a six speed or Ally?

sdaver
08-25-2003, 09:20
I also have a tst comp Im running now......a64 is right and you do get a guage with the tst.....90 hp juice make more torque down low but the tst is close....at least the comp version is :D

Big Tow
08-26-2003, 14:18
I'm sure to get flamed for this here but, maximum low end torque and fuel economy are the claims to fame of a competing brand. The V8 diesels just don't have the massive low end twist of the inline six from the competition. The D-max will make big power, it just wont show up below 2000 rpm.

afp
08-26-2003, 21:24
The Juice std level 4 actually lowers rpm for peak HP and Torque. Stock, you get approx 250 RWHP at 3000 rpm and about 450 ft lbs at 2800 rpm. With the std Juice level 4, you get 330 HP at about 2700 and about 710 ft lbs at 2300. A big factor in Juiced acceleration is the 200 HP it makes at 2000 rpm. Stock is about 160 HP at 2000 rpm.

Blaine

a64pilot
08-27-2003, 06:52
I'd agree with Big Tow. In every instance I can think of an inline 6 at low RPM will out pull a V8 at the same RPM. The problem as I see it is that the Engine in question comes in the truck that it does and even more to the point it is hooked to the driveline that it is :D both kinda hard to get around. IMHO with a little help the Dmax will make enough power at 2000 RPM to pull anything that a 3/4 to 1 ton vehicle has any business pulling, of coursr all of my pulling is in the "flatlands"

hoot
08-27-2003, 07:46
Originally posted by Big Tow:
I'm sure to get flamed for this here but, maximum low end torque and fuel economy are the claims to fame of a competing brand. The V8 diesels just don't have the massive low end twist of the inline six from the competition. The D-max will make big power, it just wont show up below 2000 rpm. Big Tow,

Since you list all of them in your signature, claims to fame become moot. What's your real world experience?

Big Tow
08-27-2003, 07:56
In defense of the Dodge trucks, they have been much improved. The frames are now fully hydroformed, like the front half of a GM. It runs the same rear axle as the GM's now with the added benefit (IMO) of a solid front axle on coil springs, and the trans has been beefed using the aftermarket tuners own tricks. The only problem I have with them now is the low grade interior appointments. My LT Chevy is a VERY nice truck inside, way beyond Dodge.

The idea that they all have enough power is correct IMO. We are in the midst of a serious power war between manufacturers. All three are now at 300+ hp stock. Ten years ago the best diesel truck couldn't break 200hp.

I do think that you should be shifting the Duramax at higher rpms. Its ideal operating range is more like 2000-3000rpm. Lugging it below its power peak does more harm than good. I think a change in driving style is what is really needed, not a power boost.

Kennedy
08-27-2003, 08:03
Big Tow,

Are you the guy with the Unimog?

You know I gotta admit, I've been looking at the '03 Dodge as a second truck. A second Dmax would be nice, but gaining familiarity with the Cummins would be more beneficial. Looked at the Ford, and well, maybe the new model, but the current one did not come close to suiting my taste...

a64pilot
08-27-2003, 08:11
Unimog, now that's a real farm type of truck! I really wanted to bring one of those things back, but reality stepped in, I woke up, things happened etc.

BlueOx03
08-27-2003, 08:25
Rut Ro John, talking about another brand of truck? Mac's gonna be all over that one. I agree learning the Cummins would been beneficial, it seems to be the 350 of diesels, however like it or not Ford has close to half of all diesel truck sales so either one would be beneficial. Maybe Brokers could get you a deal on one each.

TJ

hoot
08-27-2003, 08:46
Big Tow,

I have to agree on the shifting too soon. I hate it when it upshifts before it starts to scream. I think it's just programmed that way for durability.

Big Tow
08-27-2003, 09:04
Hoot, My real world experience is as follows. The two new Dodge trucks I have are awesome pullers. It is a very different feel than the Ford or Chevy. The power is very strong from 1500 on. The auto tranny keeps the truck in OD on the highway allowing the engine to work in its powerband. The dually has almost 20k miles on it and the Quad cab has about 10k. They seem to be very solid and well put together. I haven't had to do anything but change the oil plus a fuel filter and air filter on the dually.

I probably would have bought Fords. I really like the combination of a nice interior(better than Dodge) solid front axle, and general heavy duty nature of the truck. I refuse to be Fords guinea pig on the 6.0 though.

I like the Chevy, had an '01 D/A for work. I found that it just wasn't up to the task. The suspension is too soft and the low end torque is lacking. I found that the Allison is way to eager to jump out of OD and tough to get back in. Keep in mind that this is daily heavy towing of a gooseneck. It wasn't performing as well as the 7.3 Ford IMO. Still, I think the truck has merits. I bought a new '03 this spring and really like the truck. This one is for personal use. It rides the best, it is quiet, powerful and luxurious like none of the others. I pull my boat and car trailer with it, nothing over 10k lbs. For that work, I think the Chevy is perfect.

Yes Kennedy, I have a Unimog. You might recall that I had trouble pulling it with the '01. The other day, just for kicks, I loaded up the Unimog and my 5500lb MB G-wagen on the same triple axle trailer. I hooked it to the Dodge dually. That truck pulled it down the road and was able to top 70 mph where I couldn't in my Chev or Ford. It stays in OD, and pulls 5500lbs more than the load the Chev had trouble pulling, no BS just my experience.

BTW, I am still waiting for some Bilstiens from you for my '03 :eek: Are they still on backorder?

hoot
08-27-2003, 09:12
Sorry I asked.... ;)

Wow... thanks for the rundown. What happens if you add a little Juice to the Dmax?

Maybe GM's 04 engine will help alleviate some of the shortcomings.

Also sounds like Dodge and Cummins has done thier homework.... except for the crew cab thing.

Big Tow
08-27-2003, 10:42
If I mod my personal Dmax, I think I will go with a Banks kit. I've really good luck with them on past applications. I like thier total package approach. I am not to keen on modifying a work truck. Then you have to rely on the drivers to back out of it when needed. That is just one more thing they would have to watch, I'm not going there.

It was never so much the power of the Dmax that bugged me, it was the chassis, specifically the overly soft suspension settings. They really get scary when heavily loaded. It isn't something you would notice, unless you have the opportunity to compare.

I do like my crew cab Chev the best, it is the only one parked at my home. The Dodge quad cab is pretty darn useful though and keeps the overall legnth down, not a bad idea.

Kennedy
08-27-2003, 10:52
Still waiting on Bilsteins. No official word yet. Been calling and cannot seem to get anything definite. I received 2 :rolleyes: pieces the other day which shipped to the top on the BO list...

Camstyn
08-27-2003, 14:56
This thread got interesting.. I'm well aware that the cummins is the low-RPM powerhouse, but I'm not a dodge fan. I don't expect to be able to transform the duramax into a cummins, it's just that my driving habits usually keep me at 1500-2200RPM's and if I'm going to spend money on performance upgrades, I want it to improve power in that range. It's fun to play at 3000rpm's but I don't do it often enough to pay big bucks to make it more fun..

Re: afp, those numbers are impressive, but I've always thought that the d-max made max torque at 1800rpm, not 2800rpm? Am I missing something?

Not trying to be difficult here guys, here's my story.. The speed limits around here are mostly 55-65mph. The truck is a 6-speed, I've got 315/70R17 rubber on, so when I'm doing 65mph I'm only revving about 1650rpm's. I'd like to wake it up in this RPM range, for both accelerating, and maintaining the speed up steep grades, rather than downshifting to 5th. IMHO that's what a diesel is all about, maybe I've just got an old-school train of thought.

Now if there is a product out there that will help me, whether it was aimed to or not, if it has the added bonus of going like a raped ape at high RPM, bonus! I'll have fun with that, too, but it's not at the top of my priority list. Hope this clarifies things. :D

SoCalDMAX
08-27-2003, 15:34
Camstyn,

I hear what you're saying. I haven't tried them all, but from what I've read, the Edge Juice appears to have the most low end grunt. Normally I would think that more low end torque through programming would come with more smoke until the turbo spools up a bit and adds the required airflow. But Edge has done a great job of balancing timing and pulse width to produce more torque than most and less smoke than most.

The Quadzilla sounds like the closest contender, I think King D said something about newer tunes producing more torque than the initial version.

I only have the regular Juice and one thing I enjoy doing is: carefully rolling on the throttle from a light and having the truck accelerate briskly with no smoke, pull away from everyone while having it snap off crisp shifts at about 1500rpm. Next thing you know, you're cruising along on a surface street at 55-60mph, all traffic behind you and it sounds like you just idled away from them all. A lot of times people in the next lane wind 'em up pretty good to stay up, and it confuses them to hear the Dmax just barely turning over. ;)

Regards, Steve

afp
08-27-2003, 16:30
Cam,

I am reading Rear Wheel HP settings form the Juice Dyno Sheets. Their numbers for stock RWHP are about the same as everyone else's. Here is the link:

http://www.edgeproductsinc.com/juice-chart.html

You can take a peak and see what they have found.

Blaine

Jelisfc
08-28-2003, 08:43
How does the Predator fit in? I'm curious because of the speedo change ability. I have a potential killer deal on H2 wheels and tires and would want to correct the speedo and get the bonus of extra power. I'm like Camstyn on driving habits. It's not that I want to run at low rpms it's just different driving a 6spd then an auto. If I'm empty I shift at 2000 rpm which puts me at 1500 in the next gear. The motor pulls just fine empty and this may be why a 6 spd gets better in town mileage. On the highway we don't have to worry about a forced down shift so adding fuel to increase speed is my normal response. When I tow I shift 300 to 500 rpm higher and use the rpm range the motor pulls best in.