PDA

View Full Version : What is the best secondary fuel filter system?

jfile
01-09-2004, 23:48
What is the best secondary fuel filter system? (Ease of filter change, cost of filter, freezing of filter, ease of install, and air in the fuel) Is this the answer to injector problems?

jbplock
01-10-2004, 17:48
jfile,

As was suggested a forum search the will yield hours of fuel filter reading pleasure with many opinions and colorful commentary. One point to keep in mind is that all the popular 2-micron filters (Baldwin, CAT, RACOR) have been tested by forum members and shown to meet or exceed the ISO fuel cleanliness targets (see the fuel test results thread). So any of the available filters will give you good results. They each have their pros and cons but in the end the choice is yours as to what type of installation is best for you. Any choice will be a good one – you can’t go wrong…
smile.gif

mdrag
01-10-2004, 17:56
jfile,

As with any 'What is the best' question, there are many opinions. During your research, read my review (http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/megafilter.htm) of KennedyDiesel.com's (http://www.kennedydiesel.com) MEGA Filter kit if interested. Choose the PRODUCT REVIEWS (http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews.htm) link at the top of the page. Look through the last few days of active topics in this forum - there are links to more information, including OC_DMAX's spreadsheets containing fuel test results with different fuel filter set-ups. Good luck.

DURA-MAX3
01-10-2004, 21:20
Pre Cat, Cat cat cat ...It is proven on so many real trucks it cant be beat...

SoCalDMAX
01-10-2004, 21:35
In terms of what? The last I saw, the cleanest fuel results in the spreadsheet were obtained using a Stanadyne/OEM/Mega filter combo.

I never understood why one would want to have the fuel flow through the finer filter first, then go through the coarse filter. Any explanations?

What's a real truck? As opposed to an imaginary truck?

OC_DMAX
01-11-2004, 05:02
I never understood why one would want to have the fuel flow through the finer filter first, then go through the coarse filter. Any explanations?

About 4 months ago I posted my rational for locating my 2 micron Racor supplemental filter Pre-OEM and on the frame rail. I have cut-n-pasted it below. I spent a fair amount of time arriving at the solution I have. For me, it is the best solution. My end result is not for everyone. Everyone will have a different perspective. I can say this for sure; it works,,,, I have test data to prove it. I hope this answers your question why at least one person ended up with a Finer filter media first and then a course media.

Personally, I think these forums are great for fostering creative ideas and exchanging information. Sometimes emotions get a litte carried away. smile.gif

Have a good one,
Alan

The following was cut-n-pasted from this post:

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=006875#000007

With regard to the location of the supplemental fuel filter, there probably is not one answer that fits all. I will put a slightly different spin on the situation than what John Kennedy mentions above. From a filtration point of view, the supplemental filters should be mounted Post-OEM. I don

Murray the Cop
01-11-2004, 10:03
Here we go again! jfile check out the secondary filter thread.This one will turn out the same!!!!!

LanduytG
01-12-2004, 02:46
The Racor kit works great and takes no more than 30 minutes to install.

Greg

MikesToy
01-12-2004, 19:48
Greg...or/anyone

Give me some information on the Racor filter. Where did you get it and some give me some details on installing it. I have a 2001 with 75K miles and know I need a secondary filter. Since I will be installing it myself, I'm interested in the easiest install! I want to keep this truck for another couple of years.

My truck has a Banks Stinger kit on it and pulls my 5th wheel very well.

Thanks for the info

Mike

More Power
01-13-2004, 13:22
Here's a Racor installation/product review (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/features/ritchiehays.htm) we published some time ago.

MP

LanduytG
01-14-2004, 02:38
Mikes Toy
We have the Racor kits in stock and ready to go. You can get a heated or non heated.

Greg

DURA-MAX3
01-14-2004, 09:37
SOCALDMAX:::

What i am referring to is these are pick-ups and the real truck i am talking about is semi-TRUCKS. I chose to go pre factory so the warranty would not be affected...Hope this cleared it up for ya...

deerhunter7
01-14-2004, 20:00
MikesToy I also have the Racor ,mounted prefilter.Have the heated. Pic on site. Have had no problems. Added a shut-off valve to make changing easier. If you go prefilter Gregs bracket for mounting bolts right to the frame in holes already there. All the test results show you will get clean fuel with any off the filters tested.Great to have choices...

Lonewolf867
01-15-2004, 17:00
How about we do this.
A LIST!! yeah thats it...
Filter kit, Price, Cost of replacement elements.
After all. They are all good. They can all be mounted in pre or post configuration, so at this point it is a price thing..

Mike

mdrag
01-15-2004, 18:15
Paul,

It's been a few months - I haven't seen you around to ask - did your friend do the 19.5" conversion?

mdrag
01-16-2004, 10:08
Paul,

I'm very sorry to learn of your recent personal tragedies. I know it is extremely difficult to loose a loved one, but both parents in such a short time - no one should have to suffer through that amount of pain. Difficult times tend to re-focus our awareness on the really important aspects of life.

Mittie

pepperidge
01-16-2004, 17:55
Mittie,

Yeah, I learned not to sweat the small stuff anymore. Lifes too short.
I only work three days a week in my business and I spend as much time as I can at home with my wife and two kids. I think the main reason I came back to the forums was to getmy mind off things, for a while anyway. If I drop out of sight for a while, it's cause I'm just cherishing what's around me.

Regards,

Paul