PDA

View Full Version : Successful Pre-OEM CAT Filter Install

lttlfeller
08-25-2003, 09:19
Thanks to all of the secondary fuel filter pioneers, on this forum, I successfully installed a CAT filter 1R-0750. I installed the filter under the cab along the inner left frame rail, similar to the way Ccds and Maverick did their installs.
The install went pretty smooth except that I was not prepared for the amount of fuel that drained out of the tank when I cut the metal fuel line. If I were better prepared to connect the new fuel line I would not have lost so much fuel.
Now, I am wondering how much fuel will spill when it comes time to change the CAT filter? Should I have installed a shutoff valve before the filter base? Any experiences changing a pre-OEM filter mounted under the truck, along the frame rail? Do I need to have a close-to-empty fuel tank when I change the filter or will this make much difference?

Thanks

hoot
08-25-2003, 09:45
If you end up needing to add a valve just pinch the fuel line with a c-clamp or vise grips with some protection against damage.

Jelisfc
08-25-2003, 18:39
I think you'll be OK. As I was taking my diesel bath the flow stopped when I tilted the cut line up to the top of the frame rail. I haven't had to change mine yet and have ball valves mounted on both the inlet and outlet so I'll never know. :D