PDA

View Full Version : Selling my Dmax???????

mps007
01-12-2004, 21:16
Ok - I need help here --- I have 38k on my dmax- Every other week I need to get under the hood to start the engine ( via Prime pump)
I have been dealing with this for 2 1/2 years ... My dealer keeps it for a week at a time -- No fix........ I've been out of service for about 2 months cumulative time --- no fix in sight..

I priced a Dodge the other day - Went back to the dealer & said look--- 2 Choices --
Give me a great deal on a new DMAX or I go Dodge ....

still waiting for a call ..... I need opinions ..
I love my chevy - But will not buy another unless they make good ,,,,, So what do you all think I should do ?? Suggestions ? - What have you seen GM do ?

Mike

rcarbs
01-12-2004, 21:51
My Dmax started doing this a month ago. I thought that it was associated with the colder temps in the morning as this is the only time this happens. My truck will start and run for a couple of seconds then die, after priming it starts and runs fine. I figure the dealership wont be able to figure it out and I will just have to live with the problem. If it keeps up I guess the answer is to sell, throw the dice again and hope I get a good one. (Not GM).

Stephen1
01-12-2004, 22:29
Go to another dealer and call Chevrolet Customer Service. In Illinois this truck would qualify for the lemon law and Chevrolet would be required to buy it back minus a small allowance for mileage. Or search on the internet for automotive lawyers in your area to help you out. They only get paid when GM buys your truck back. Good Luck.

Steve

SoCalDMAX
01-13-2004, 00:21
mps007,

I don't recall hearing about this problem you've had for so long, I musta been blind!

Well, it's obvious air is getting into the system between the fuel pickup and pump. I'm disappointed they couldn't fix this yet. I'm no expert on how the warranty works, is the entire fuel system still covered for 100K mi?

If so, I'd go to a different dealer and ask that they replace everything from the tank to the pump for good measure and it'll save a lot of their diagnostic time.

If it were my truck, here's what I'd do (JMHO). I'd drop the tank and remove the quick disconnect and install a lift pump (pick one) with a rubber fuel line and hose clamp. This would be mounted to a good quality fuel filter (pick one) and then I'd remove all QD fittings and replace with rubber hose and clamps. I'd bypass the factory filter assy and loop a hose from one side of OEM filter to the other just to keep it sealed.

Now you've removed all possible *current* sources of leaks and slightly pressurized the system, fully wetting the efficient filter you added and making life easier for your fuel pump.

According to a number of people, your fuel mileage should increase 1 or 1.5 mpg, the engine will run a touch smoother, it will always start and you're assured of positive flow to the engine at all times. If it springs a leak, it'll be easy to spot the seepage.

Regards, Steve

Big Tow
01-13-2004, 08:26
My previous 2001 did that but was fixed on the second trip to the dealer. Your fix is WAY overdue. I would also try another dealer first. The customer service idea is a complete waste of time IMHO. They know nothing. If the dealer can't fix it, the woman on the CS line ain't gonna help you much.

If all else fails, I am personally VERY pleased with both of my new Dodge trucks. Better milage by far, much better towing power. The price is a bouncier ride and cheaper looking interior, then again, the price is lower period tongue.gif

MikesToy
01-13-2004, 17:33
I had this problem with my '01 when it was about 6 months old. It took GM about four months to do what I asked them to do in the first place. I asked them to replace EVERTHING from the tank to the fuel rail because it was obvious that air was getting into the system prior to the fuel rail when sitting overnight. They (GM) replaced a piece here and a piece there, but the problem contiued. Then they replaced all parts between the tank and fuel rail and the problem went away never to return! :D

DMAXTODD
01-13-2004, 20:51
My 2001 had this problem from 35,000 miles on..I wasn't sure if the problem started because of the cold weather or because I ran it out of fuel a little while back....anyway no problem with the 02 I have now not being primed and starting ....yet