PDA

View Full Version : installed cat filter

FIRELT
08-25-2003, 16:29
installed pre-oem,been on for one week,no problems,cut line and used compression fittings pictures (http://community.webshots.com/user/fire1862)

GM Smitty
08-25-2003, 16:35
Nice install. I'm also a fan of the compression fittings. smile.gif

Really nice truck!! :cool:

Josh

jbplock
08-25-2003, 17:17
Dittos... Good Work! I like the compression fittings.. What are the make and part number? smile.gif

FIRELT
08-25-2003, 17:59
jbplock,if you want the part numbers i can go by tomorrow were i got them and find out,let me know,mike pictures (http://community.webshots.com/user/fire1862)

DIESEL/VETTE
08-26-2003, 11:04
FIRELT.

AFTER INSTSALL, THE FIRST TIME YOU FIRED UP THE TRUCK WHAT DID YOU HAVE TO DO TO GET IT RUNNING? DID YOU HAVE TO BLEED THE SYSTEM, OR WHAT, DID YOU PUT THE FILTER ON DRY OR DID YOU FILL IT. JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOU WENT THRU TO GET IT RUNNING, THANK YOU

Jelisfc
08-26-2003, 12:02
FIRELT, I see the valve idea is catching on. Your install looks exactly like mine.

Diesel/Vette, I didn't prefill mine. I started it and let it run until it stalled then primed. The only problem is the fuel was quite foamy and the next time I'll have to figure out a bleeder adaptor that allows me to run a small hose to a pop can to catch the fuel. Made a mess...nothing a trip to the car wash didn't fix.

FIRELT
08-26-2003, 15:36
DIESEL/VETTE I CUT THE LINE ON THE ENGINE SIDE FIRST AND PUT A RUBBER CAP OVER THE SIDE THAT WAS TOWARDS THE TANK(OWNLY ABOUT A CUP CAME OUT THE ENGINE SIDE) THEN I REMOVED THE LINE FROM THE FRAME ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE FLEXIBLE LINE NEAR THE TANK, WHILE HOLDING THE LINE AS HIGH AS I COULD I CUT THE LINE AND FLAIRED IT AND ATTACHED THE COMPRESSION FITTING THEN CAPPED IT AGAIN WITH THE PLUG(LOOK AT MY PICTURES AND YOU CAN TURN THE FLEXIABLE LINE NEAR THE TANK AND MAKE A STRAIGHT RUN AT THE FILTER WITH THE NEW HOSE)AFTER I HAD THE LINES ALL HOOKED UP WITH PICTURES (http://community.webshots.com/user/fire1862) THE VALVES OFF,FILLED THE FILTER FROM A CAN OF DIESEL I HAD,SCREWED ON THE FILTER,OPENED THE VALVES,PUMPED THE OEM PRIMER 1 AND A HALF TIMES AND THE TRUCK STARTED RIGHT UP ,NO HESITATION,HAS BEEN RUNNING SMOOTH EVER SINCE,HOPE THIS HELPS,MIKE

DIESEL/VETTE
08-27-2003, 09:27
FIRELT,

I THINK I WILL INSTALL MY CAT THE SAME AS YOU BUT WILL GET THE PRIMER THAT CAT SELLS, THAT SITS ON TOP ON THE CAT HEAD. NICE CLEAN JOB. I LIKE THE NO CLAMPS ON THE FUEL LINES, IT LOOKS LIKE THE FITTING YOU USED IS THE WAY TO GO.

David Proske
08-27-2003, 13:19
What do yall guys use to cut the metal fuel line?

How much fuel runs out of the 'from tank' line?

A source for the compression fittings and hose would be great!

DURA-MAX3
08-27-2003, 13:28
Cut line----any small tubing cutter(auto parts store)

The amount of fuel depends on how much fuel is in the tank. When i did mine i ran the fuel level low, then put the front wheels on work ramps...

Any good auto parts store can make hoses and have the fittings you need... Remember that the Cat filter head is male BOSS threads...

jbplock
08-27-2003, 14:32
Originally posted by FIRELT:
... WHILE HOLDING THE LINE AS HIGH AS I COULD I CUT THE LINE AND FLAIRED IT AND ATTACHED THE COMPRESSION FITTING ... Mike,
In my earlier post I was just curious what type of compression fitting you used. I see now that it was a flare type. These are excellent fittings, however the ones I found when researching options for my filter setup, were typically not specified for vacuum applications. Since the amount of vacuum is small in this application they should be OK - as your results have shown... Another option is to use a flare-less bite type fitting. I ended up using 7/16 id hose and clamps (a bear method) on the tank nipple and steel line behind the cooler. I liked the idea of a more secure connection, but I also wanted the option to return to a stock configuration (reconnect the OEM line) - just in case a trip to the dealer was needed for fuel system warranty service. Hopefully we wont have that problem now that we have these added filters

FIRELT
08-27-2003, 18:36
GUYS, I PICKED UP MY FITTINGS AT A HYDRAULIC SUPPLY DEALER,DIFFERENT PARTS ON SOME OF THE FITTINGS HAVE O-RINGS,IF YOU WANT THE PART NUNBERS AND MAKE ,LET ME KNOW AND I WILL GET THEM,MIKE

wangotango
08-27-2003, 18:44
Firelt-=-=-

nice install

say for instance that aux filter chokes and you don't have another

can you bypass it?

is there a built-in bypass on the filter head?

blue colored lines are blue fuel line or blue shrink-tube over some kind of stock fule line?

tks .. w/t

FIRELT
08-27-2003, 19:19
Originally posted by wangotango:
Firelt-=-=-

say for instance that aux filter chokes and you don't have another

can you bypass it?

is there a built-in bypass on the filter head?

blue colored lines are blue fuel line or blue shrink-tube over some kind of stock fule line?

tks .. w/t I WAS GOING TO GO WITH 3 WAY VALVES AND A BY-PASS BUT TO MUCH HOSE HANGING ALL AROUND SO I HAD A PIECE OF HOSE MADE UP (BLUE FUEL LINE) TO GO FROM COMPRESSION TO COMPRESSION FITTING IN CASE I HAD TROUBLE WITH THE FILTER AND YES THEY ARE FUEL LINES NOT STOCK

jbplock
08-28-2003, 05:01
Originally posted by FIRELT:
... SOME OF THE FITTINGS HAVE O-RINGS,IF YOU WANT THE PART NUNBERS AND MAKE ,LET ME KNOW AND I WILL GET THEM,MIKE Mike,
I would be interested in the manufacturer and part numbers of your fittings if it's not too much trouble