PDA

View Full Version : Exploring the Duramax.... MotorAge article

hoot
08-25-2003, 19:34
August 2003 starts on page 36:

It does a lot of injection system comparisons between the Big Three.

"Understanding Chevy's New Electronic Diesel"

Rail pressure varies between 5000 and 23,200 psi. "If fuel pressure exceeds 27,550 psi, the Fuel Rail pressure relief valve unseats and bounces to maintain fuel pressure at that level."

"If the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor is removed for any reason, GM procedures call for replacing the sensor with a new one. The soft iron seat will be deformed the first time the new sensor is torqued, and the old sensor might not seal properly if reused."

Remember that was the sensor that gave some of us those nasty fuel leaks.

"If the sensor fails, the ECM defaults to "Limp In Mode" derating the engine and limiting engine speed to 2000 rpm."

Tons of info on sensor operation and some diagnostic procedures.

I like this one:

"My technician at the local high volume CHevy dealer reports very few problems with Duramax engines and the problems that do occur don't seem to repeat themselves."

There's also an in depth explanation of the two stage high pressure fuel pump.

Some fuel line vacuum data:

"Check for restrictions or air leaks in the fuel supply line foor hard starting/low power problems. Zero to 5 inches of mercury supply line vacuum is normal on a running engine. Measurements of 5 to 10 inches indicate the need for a filter change. After 15 inches, performance will degrade dramatically, and more than 20 inches of measured vacuum is enough to starve the engine into a no-start condition."

Paintdude
08-25-2003, 19:36
I get that magazine also. some good info and comments. smile.gif I was looking for it tonight, but I must have left it at the shop.

mackin
08-25-2003, 19:59
I'll tell you what Hoot I call BS on this =>
"If the sensor fails, the ECM defaults to "Limp In Mode" derating the engine and limiting engine speed to 2000 rpm."Every thing with a grain of salt I guess ...
I was able to run full throttle, and
You might ask about 200 cars behind me one Saturday evening, including the owner of a welding shop I frequent,business and personal ..... Had no idea I "wet" him and cut him off , till I seen him a few weeks back .....

Mac ;)

hoot
08-26-2003, 05:24
Originally posted by mackin:
I'll tell you what Hoot I call BS on this =&gt; </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />"If the sensor fails, the ECM defaults to "Limp In Mode" derating the engine and limiting engine speed to 2000 rpm."Every thing with a grain of salt I guess ...
You might ask about 200 cars behind me one Saturday evening, including the owner of a welding shop I frequent,business and personal ..... Had no idea I "wet" him and cut him off , till I seen him a few weeks back .....

Mac ;) </font>[/QUOTE]MAC, what do you mean by "wet" him?

Paintdude
08-26-2003, 06:06
Originally posted by hoot:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by mackin:
I'll tell you what Hoot I call BS on this =&gt; </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />"If the sensor fails, the ECM defaults to "Limp In Mode" derating the engine and limiting engine speed to 2000 rpm."Every thing with a grain of salt I guess ...

Mac ;) </font>[/QUOTE]MAC, what do you mean by "wet" him? </font>[/QUOTE]I think he means, making him pee his panties..

WillowCreekStable
08-26-2003, 06:47
http://www.motorage.com/

Under August features

hoot
08-26-2003, 07:45
Originally posted by WillowCreekStable:
http://www.motorage.com/

Under August features Thanks... I didn't think they would put it online so soon.

GMC-2002-Dmax
08-26-2003, 10:20
Lets just say many cars behind MAC had quite a shine from the Diesel.

IIRC his truck was really shiny, at least the under carriage was tongue.gif

GMC smile.gif

ASK BILL.

hoot
08-26-2003, 10:44
Mac,

I think they meant electronically failed pressure sensor.