PDA

View Full Version : It's getting its 2nd set of new injectors...What happened to my truck???

MudNurI
09-17-2004, 20:34
This is going to be long, but I need to put in the details- appology in advance!

As you might remember, we finally got the diagnosis of bad injectors in our '01...well Friday we received the call that they were in, bring it on up on Monday-

Monday they get it- Wednesday morning I call, and Service manager says "they're out test driving it again- first time out it had a coolant leak- had to solder ( I cant spell that!) a coolant line. I'll call ya right back"

He calls back- its all set- so John heads up to get it. Bills not ready- we had an oil change we owed them from when it was diagnosed.

John calls me about 20 minutes from the dealers... "do you recall what this oil pressure guage use to say?" Ummm yeah- somewhere around 40psi..... Hmmmm he says- it's bouncin around like a tach, this aint good. He asks me to call Doug back (service guy)...and find out. In the meantime he arrives home

I tell doug this things bouncin- john said from 80-20 etc.. doug puts me on hold- goes to our diesel tech...looks on computer "should run at 42psi at 1800 and about 20 psi at idle..." well, it's sort of doin that..but bouncin a bit. Doug says its fine- probably from disconnecting the battery- when you get a chance, bring it up and have them retrip the computer. I walk out to the truck with John- and say "did you spill diesel when you pumped it?" "nope, probably my hands, I didnt have my gloves " (this is important for later)..

He goes to work...I go to work... I call him at 730 from work, he's IN AN UPROAR..

he was coming home from work, and noticed he'd gone through 1/4 tank of fuel...about 50 miles round trip...usually a couple days worth. He's coming up our hill, and notices behind him a nasty 3 foot wide trail in the road..."hmmmm trash man forgot to plug his truck"..."weird, it's not in front of me"...he pulls in the driveway shuts off the truck and hears WHOOOOSHHH Diesel all OVER my driveway...he goes back down the hill to get the kids- no choice, they're at daycare and they both wont fit on the Motorcycle... coming back up the hill- he rides to the left, makes the same 3 foot pattern...HES ****ED (scuse that language)

Thursday morning he calls Doug- explains whatsup... Doug says "get it here"...

So....In the end- We've got another bad injector. They replaced the original 8, and now they're trying to figure out if it's blowing by the injector, or the injector is bad...

John told Doug- listen I cant drive this truck, we're looking at another 3-4 weeks for deliver of these parts I NEED a truck..either one of your lot, or a rental, but you gotta do something. Ended up with a Trailblazer until Monday- when the Silverado comes back to the rental place...fine- we got something- we're not paying for this rental-

I talked to Doug today- and asked him- how much damage we did to the engine...we blew out almost 3/4 of a tank of diesel through the overflow on the oil pan...(something like that he said)...he said no damage- I asked for that in writing. What happens 20K down the road, my engines shot...then what? I want someones word that this engine isn't toast... Couldnt get it from him...well, I got his word, just not his written word.

So what to do now? Well, thats simple I called the dealer we purchase from, and have an '04 8.1/Alli crew cab waiting for me. I told them the Duramax was getting another set of injectors..they're fine waiting who knows how long.

I'm going to miss my Duramax, but by golly, I'm not going to miss my injectors!

On a funnier note- back at the original diagnosis- when we were told the price before they said GM would pay- John asked him "wouldnt it be cheaper just to swap in a new engine?" his reply was an engine is 8K, this is 6K...well guess what I asked him today? 8K is cheaper than 12K, and I'm not paying for the original oil change at the diagnosis, nor am I paying for the one you did Tuesday, and I'm not paying for this last one!" would have been cheaper to give me a new motor!

I also asked if someone was going to wash the undercarraige of my truck- that thing is diesel undercoated...he didnt really answer me, but I said "listen, my 2 daughters are in that truck daily, that diesel fuel that coated my exhaust catches fire, they'll be heck to pay"...they're gonna put it up on the lift, use a degreaser in a pressure washer, and clean it up!

End of my saga.....for a few weeks!

Brandy

quadrunner500
09-17-2004, 21:51
I don't get it, about the '04 8.1 Ali. Are you trading your Dmax for that? Is it a loaner?

Or are you saying the dealer doing the repair is not the same one you purchased from, therefore you are going to trade after getting the injectors fixed?

MudNurI
09-18-2004, 06:21
I don't get it, about the '04 8.1 Ali. Are you trading your Dmax for that? Is it a loaner? The loaner for the weekend is a Trailblazer, Monday, we get a Silverado.....UNTIL our Dmax is fixed.... THEN the Dmax gets traded in for the 8.1/Ali

Or are you saying the dealer doing the repair is not the same one you purchased from, therefore you are going to trade after getting the injectors fixed? Im saying that as well. Our purchasing dealer- is not the same as our service dealer. Hasn't been for a long time. We've got a great purchasing relationship with one, and they have horrible diesel techs, and the others the opposite- horrible salesmen, but great tech's. FYIW, the selling dealer on this dmax, while under warranty NEVER gave us a loaner..EVER...even after repeated attempts, while the truck was getting warranty work done. This service dealer- well, we got a loaner, and in a few days it wil be a truck- better than a geo metro!

so yes, we're trading it in, and yes, its not the dealer thats doing the work LOL
HOWEVER, the dealer thats getting our dmax- KNOWS whats up with the truck right now...we have not kept them in the dark.

Brandy

hd90rider
09-20-2004, 16:02
Here is an earlier post of mine. "DG, I hate to tell you this, but no good can come from diesel in the oil. This happened to my truck 3 times over about 70k miles. Each time I noticed the oil pressure got weaker. GM said,"oh, it wont hurt anything, diesel is an "oil base". Well each time it was another injector problem.Each time there was more diesel in the oil. Last time I was draining out 5 gals of fluid from the crankcase,in 35 miles,trying to get to a dealer. Didnt make it !! Bearings on crankshaft just came apart in pieces. I went from 65psi to 15psi in the course of these 3 failures. Dealer insisted it would be all right to drive with 10psi. Well I was stuck in TX & had to buy a "new" rebuilt engine. My point is, & you need to talk to some experts, there can nothing good come from diesel in your oil!! If you have warranty left "insist", on a new motor. Yes, i had a lot of miles on this truck, but it was serviced faithfully, never any mods,& no hot-rodding. Just a work truck. I dont know why Gm insists "diesel wont hurt you oil", but it will.Get some grease on your hands,use some diesel to clean & see how well it cuts the grease off. Seriously, find some oil experts & I am sure they can give you some ammunition to fight GM on this. All my problems were after warranty,so I had no recourse,but I hope you too."

crew84
09-20-2004, 16:39
That is interesting that diesel fuel in the oil is alright. But contaminated oil/fuel is enough to void their warranties if it fits their needs. Would not Dr. Lee know about oil viscosity requirements for engine bearings? He would probably know where you can get the info.