PDA

View Full Version : Cold Morning Starts

johns
01-14-2004, 11:09
As many of you know, those of us on the east coast (especially mid-atlantic into the northeast) have been experiencing cold weather that we haven't seen in nearly 10 years.

I have noticed somrthing odd during my cold morning start that I haven't noticed in the past. I let the glow plugs go thru their cycle and wait for the WAIT light to go off before starting. What I've noticed is that immediately after starting, the charge level guage is slightly above the first mark (~ 11 volts) and there is a noticable dimness of the headlights. After a minute or so the lights brighten and the chrge level guage jumps up to normal (~ 14-15 volts).

I might note that I never dug out the block heater plug as this kind of weather has become out of the ordinary my my area. I never needed it. Quite frankly it is too cold to crawl under there in this weather to dig it out now, unless I really have to.

My question is this. Is my situation normal for a cold motor that has not been plugged in? I'm talking temperature in the teens and single digits overnight. Doesn't seem to be an issue when starting after sitting in the parking lot (at work) all day. Is there some circuit this is still active after startup that would be drawing that much?

ryeguy
01-14-2004, 11:13
That's normal.

I've been told that's just the glow plug circuit still on, helping out the engine. Mine does that regularly, even when the weather isn't that cold.

--Rob

DonG
01-14-2004, 17:04
There are two heaters for your Duramax. The glow plugs and a inlet air heater. After the glow plugs shut off, and you have started the truck, the inlet air heater continues to operate for a minute or so, then shuts off. That is why your volts stays low for that minute or so.

I recommend you use your block heater if you are starting your truck below 20 degrees. It is so much better on your truck to have a little warmth to get that oil protecting the engine quicker. Your cab heater will provide heat much quicker also.

You can get the plug unwrapped and available once you find it in just a minute or two.

Don

NJDMAX
01-14-2004, 19:13
Johns
It's normal as ryeguy said. I would use your block heater. It's easy to get to the cord-wire tied to the right side fender liner by the air filter housing. I use the heater with a timer when it is below 30 deg.(I have the timer turn on about 3 hours before I leave for work) I also use the grille cover when it is going to be below 20 deg. for more then a day. The truck starts better and puts less of a strain on the batteries this way. the grille cover also lets the engine warm up faster but you still get air the radiator and intercooler from under the bumper.
Hope this helps.
Tom

tysmith
01-15-2004, 05:14
Never, ever used my block heater. No need. I run 5w40 Delvac 1, so my oil flows quite nicely. Besides, block heater doesn't really heat up the oil - it's a coolant immersion heater. So in reality, your block is nice and toasty, but the oil is still cold. For ultimate cold, try a base pan warmer - they're supposed to draw less current, too.

Ty

johns
01-16-2004, 08:43
Thanks all. I finally found the block heater plug last night (thanks to a picture posted in another post in the forum). Plugged it in (went below zero last night) and it worked fine. Now I need to route the plug to make plugging it in easier. I saw elsewhere here where someone routed it to the rear bumper. I'll probably do that due to where my outside elec. outlet is.

Again, thanks again for all of the responses.

MICKD
01-16-2004, 16:25
johns
I ran my plug to my front bumper hole at the plate bracket and tie wrapped it to the back of the lisence plate bracket. Works well and I can push it in behind the plate so no-one even knows its there. smile.gif

mark45678
01-16-2004, 18:09
except for fuel problems these truck WILL start with out the block heater down as low as -10*f with NO problem I have never pluged mine in and would not have a truck that needs to be pluged in on a "normal" winter night! I have had GM diesel truck since 1993 and never used electricty warm a block! good batterys turn the key and drive away! thats IT. -10 is no problem with fuel antigell honest!

Panther
01-17-2004, 07:00
you guys have talked about various ways you have run the cord on your trucks to make it more accesible.

do you have any picture?

i like to see what some other people have done!!

did you have to add wire to what the factory supplied?

Panther
kevingravel@cox.net

jbplock
01-17-2004, 13:19
Panther,

I have a block heater plug mounted in the plastic airdam below the bumper under the license plate...
http://thumb4.webshots.com/s/thumb4/0/92/74/101309274UuGtaS_th.jpg http://thumb5.webshots.com/s/thumb4/0/95/5/101309505ZPCmZN_th.jpg

See this topic - Block Heater (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=007126) for more info...

smile.gif