PDA

View Full Version : Does EATON make auto's?

mackin
08-01-2002, 20:33
How is the BIG truck guru here.......In the Allison is getting hotter then I want, and our cooler (not beer) is inadequate or in the wrong spot, thread..... I said I'll get a pic of a VOLVO TT with an Allison in it as I was told they run them......Well finally one showed,Yippie,Not...... I asked the guy if it had an Allison and if I could (I felt kinda wierd)take a PIC of his Cooler......He proceeded to tell me it was an EATON.......So no PIC....

So First guy that I gave the URL to here, who has a truck like mine, that his truck TT had an Allison in it, I don't recall the make he was driving .... I didn't look cause it was before the HOT thread......

So second guy tells me, He wasn't driving one,a Volvo, That the Volvos in the fleet that New Century have, have Allison's......OK!!!!!!

So this guy that (third one) came in today with a Volvo TT says it's an EATON Auto.......HUH?

So does anyone know who got what in what?

MAC :confused: To Say The Least......

Hoot do you Know?

[ 08-01-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

SoMnDMAX
08-02-2002, 01:37
Eaton does make an "Automatic" transmission, called the Auto Shift. A local trucking company has been testing them for a while, with some success. Here's a link-

http://truck.eaton.com/autoshift/

I would bet the Volvo had the Eaton.

IndigoDually
08-02-2002, 05:20
I believe that the Eaton Auto's in heavy trucks are more of a hybrid auto. You still use the clutch to get moving but it does have clutches in it to allow shifting without the clutch (I realize that shifting a manual without the clutch is commonplace). They are sorta like the old VW Bug AutoStick. The shifting can be accomplished by switching an upshift/downshift switch or something like it. They do still maintain the ability to be driven manually if the operator chooses to do so.

At least that is the way a seasoned trucker explained them to me though they are known to tell some tall tales so take it as you will.

John

NickLeinonen
08-02-2002, 07:41
i believe the eaton autoshift trannys are full manuals with computer controls. we had one on a bench at school bolted to the back of a n14 cummins. there are air cylinder where the clutch and gear linkages use to be. you use the clutch to get going iirc and after that, the shifting is all controlled by the trans computer. the tcm tells the ecm to cut the fuel, then it clutches, shifts and tells the ecm to refuel it. controller for it looks just like an automotive console automatic shifter

Okie
08-03-2002, 12:33
I am no expert but the eaton has to be clutched from takeoff and after that I think you shift them by manual thru 10 gears. I have driven a firetruck with a 3060p allison and it was a 6-speed with a 300hp ih diesel and it was the smoothest transmission I have seen.

Searay90
08-03-2002, 17:26
Hey Indigo...

Can you take a picture of the trans cooler on your motorhome and post a link to it on the older trans tech posts. We are all looking for a larger cooler to use with the allison.

Does the Motorhome chasis you have use a larger cooler than the one on our trucks?? If so, how many plates, and what size lines are used on it.

Please post replys in the "trans tech" post.

Thanks,

Searay90