PDA

View Full Version : Did I buy the wrong Truck?

Mark-
09-19-2004, 11:38
From an old Die Hard Ford Owner, I bought a 2004.5 2500HD LLY Allison and now am scared to death based on the posts here that my Duramax will not go over 100k without major injector expenses. Did I buy the wrong truck? Seems like I should have waited for Ford to up their tow rating..... Am I wrong? Am I over reacting?

quadrunner500
09-19-2004, 12:59
I don't think anyone knows.

To me the Duramax was like owning a power boat. The two happiest days in my life, the day I bought it, and the day I sold it.

crew84
09-19-2004, 14:18
I also bought a Duramax. I am concerned but also NOT from this forum. I looked at the overall picture. Tens of
thousands of Duramax's out there. This forum is not the majority of owners but rather a select few that are inquisitive or concerned about their trucks. Some are here for upgrades and others for problems. The anger that pours out in this forum tells us to watch our fuel suppliers and filters. I am guilty like others of picking the cheapest supplier of fuel and sometimes that leads to problems. The other problem is GM or Bosch not being able to keep up with the demand/supply of the Duramax injectors. The flywheel problem is something GM is just plain slow about making changes just like the rate of failures. I do not want to have an expensive problem on my truck either. I am going to buy the GM extended warranty and hope that I have no problems with my truck. Also that GM does not try to make contaminated fuel their excuse for deny claims.

Ranger354
09-19-2004, 16:13
I had 56,000 miles on my 02 Duramax when I traded it in. I owned it for 2 years almost to the day. No problems other then powerstering. Never worked very well at low idle.

My buddy has an 03 Ford 350 with 65,000 miles on it. It has been in the shop 6 times in the last two months. Last time they said the would just give him a new engine (diesel) if they couldn't get it fixed. He got it out Friday and Saturday he had it back in the shop on the computer.

I have some concerns with my 04 Duramax as it only has 5,000 miles on it and I have just noticed some changes in "engine sounds" in the last two weeks. Back surgery has kept me from taking it in, but I will be able to this week.

I don't know that any of the trucks made these days are built error free. I would love to think that Built in the USA products would be great quality, but everyone has bad days at work and not ALL ideas are good one.

Tell me why is Ford always one step in front of Chevy. The 05 F350 come with a trailer brake package built into the dash. Whats up with that Chevy?

Ranger354
09-19-2004, 16:31
Oh, about 35,000 barrels of Diesel come out of my unit a day. We make it the best and cheepest way possible so we can pass savings on the the consumer. I don't like it anymore then you guys that I paid $1.89 gal today for it.

Change your fuel filter every other oil change!!!!!!!!! Yes it is a little costly, but not near as much as a new or rebuilt engine. I can't blame everything on Chevy.

Rick T
09-19-2004, 19:44
I'm probably in the majority as a member who has had virtually no problem with his truck. The early injectors in the LB7's were apparently a weak point, but I'm comfortable with the warrantee extension provided by GM. I have a secondary fuel filter, but it's not doing me much good sitting in a box in my office. The Allison seems as bulletproof as they come is you ignore the loose torque converter bolts in the very early trucks and the maladies that result from power adders. Enjor your truck. If your fuel is the least bit suspect then I might investigate installatio of one of the secondary filters.

Rick T.

Kennedy
09-20-2004, 04:58
68k on mine. Had some transmission difficulties (still do) due to the power, but only had one belt tensioner, one steering shaft (rattle) and one bowtie (grill) under warranty.

13.2 @ 101.99 on fuel

12.6 @ 106.99 with the bottle

Not bad for a 7800#-ish truck...

KenZ
09-20-2004, 05:03
As Rick T., I had no problems with my truck-- until-- the recent injector problem at 75,000+ miles. If I had known about the injector problem I would not have purchased a truck with the LB7 engine. I think with the LLY engine you should be in good shape as far as the injectors go. I say this because the injectors seem to be readily available and the change in design allows for a much easier and less expensive repair. And I don't think you have the fuel in crankcase problem with a failure.

I was thinking also that after the injector problem started to come up, that there would be a large aftermarket business that would make the injectors available at a lower cost than from GM. Then GM changed the design. So I don't know if there will ever be low cost injectors for the lb7 engine. Hopefully the LLY will be around for a while and down the road a ways, an injector replacement won't be so expensive.

As far as the fuel filter commments, my opinion is that is still a GM design flaw. They should be providing a dual filter arrangement on the engines coming off the line. We shouldn't have to do this on our own. Even my tractor has a primary and secondary filter on it.

We must have fairly decent fuel in Virginia. Every time I have changed the filter, it looks clean and no water or trash that many have mentioned. On the cheap diesel, I would think that the low cost stations would turn over their diesel more ofter. I always look for the lower cost--high volume stations.

I would say--just enjoy your truck and be happy that you have the LLY engine.

Tractorhauler
09-20-2004, 06:58
Mark,

Just turned over to 54K on my O2. Only problem so far was a switch to one piece drive shaft(torpedo), and some kind of sensor that made Allison not know what gear it was in. Both warranty, fuel filter changed every 10-12 K, Mobil Delvac 1. So far, knock on wood, things are great. About 30% towing heavy loads and other times I do not baby this girl at ALL.

Good luck with your purchase,

Mark

TanM998
09-20-2004, 07:00
Now you have to look at it like this. Being diesel fuel isn't the most popular fuel of choice by the majority of the USA. When you say that you aren't always picking the "best" grade of fuel, how can you ever be sure? There are some stations that charge higher amounts of fuel JUST because they don't sell much of it, and it has become a hastle for them to carry. Others do it just for profit. So without actually testing the fuels its very very difficult to tell if you are getting "bad" fuel.

As for the injector issues. Yes, GM has admited to having several problems with injectors. And they have stood behind them. They stood up and issued extended warranties to those with older, out of warranty trucks. They know there is an issue there and are working feaverishly to get it corrected. I don't know what the exact number of Dmax Pick-ups are out there, but the complaints on this board really are a drop in the bucket to those that aren't on the board. The issue has primarily sky-rocketed in popularity mainly due to the cost of repair, not because of the overall size of the issue.

Now, that said, there have been issues with certain dealers who struggle with the owner to get things taken care of which is a whole nother issue, which you will find with any manufacture.

Bottom line. If you have a 2004i or 2005 LLY you have one of the best trucks on the market. Use it just as you would anything else and don't worry about using it for what it was ment to be used for. If you put add-ons to the vehicle, that can potentially shorten the life of the vehicle as you can imagine. Regardless, its still one of the best trucks on the market...

Scott

Mark-
09-20-2004, 15:02
I wonder if the LLY's injectors being different will not have the problems associated with the LB7 version. I bought my 2500HD to TOW! So I hope my mileage improves (8-9 mpg towing) as the rig only has 7k on it. It does run like a watch though now.

Dewey Faircloth
09-20-2004, 15:52
Recently bought a 2005 chevy with LLY engine and don't look for any problems.
Have a 1994 GMC 6.5that no one likes except me.It
has 196,000 miles and only replaced one FSD and installed the cooler.Have extra fusl filter on it.
Had alternator rebuilt 145,000,and several sets of battteries is all under hood work.Several brake jobs,and several set Cooper tires.It runs good as it did when picked it up at dealer the 24th of Jan.1994.
Hope if live long enough the Duramax is as good.

Mark-
09-21-2004, 00:34
Clip:
Bottom line. If you have a 2004i or 2005 LLY you have one of the best trucks on the market. Use it just as you would anything else and don't worry about using it for what it was ment to be used for. If you put add-ons to the vehicle, that can potentially shorten the life of the vehicle as you can imagine. Regardless, its still one of the best trucks on the market...
Clip:

Well, I hope you're right. I bought mine to tow a 13500k 5th wheel around the country. I'm considering a juice.....

Richard Pelletier
09-21-2004, 04:16
Mark, the JUICE will make you a beliver. I tow a 35' 5'er 12,500 loaded and in level 2 she hardly ever downshifts. Before the JUICE was installed, going over overpasses needed to downshift. Sometimes I have to look back to see if the rig is still there.
;)

Tractorhauler
09-21-2004, 05:30
Mark,

I here you on the 8-9 mpg. That is what mine did until I juiced at about 9K. I have a 10K 5ver and with juice on setting 2 she downshifts much less and when she does the rpms are still less. 1500 mile trip in the rockies netted me 13.5mpg. My gasser would not have done that.

koolgt
09-21-2004, 14:55
the way i look at it, 500,000 duramax engines and going strong, they must not be doing to bad :D

4diesels
09-21-2004, 18:26
Hey Mark, NONE of them are perfect. I have had the best luck with my 7.3 Ford, but they don't make those anymore, just the problematic 6.0. I also just looked at the '05 Ford, trailer brake controller integrated, FINALLY someone figured out we pretty much all need one. I love the coil sprung solid front axle, never cared for the control arm chev design. Really like my Dodges, just don't care for the interiors much, GM and Ford both do that better.

I would just roll with it. I personally don't have any faith in it lasting beyond the 100k warranty, just where I traded my '01 D/A as well. But up until that time I like the ride, handling, power and nice interior. If I could get the Cummins in the F350 I would switch in a second. For now though, my next truck will probably be the V10 Ford gasser. Like you my milage stinks. Even at 32k miles my average is under 14, mostly empty running.

Jomar
09-21-2004, 19:18
Don`t see how anyone can say Ford is always a step ahead of Chevy. Where did these ideas come ?

High pressure common rail fuel injection with pilot injection.

Five speed auto tranny with tow/haul mode and down hill braking.

Who was the first to put disc brakes on a pickup ?

Had a `05 PSD in my driveway this past weekend. Had a chance to look it over pretty good but didn`t get to drive it since it was hooked up to a 13,000 # 5er. It is owned by a good friend of mine ( for 60 years ) and from what he told me , he would rather have his 7.3 back. Fuel mileage from Abilene, Tex.to here in Boerne, 8.5 and the power wasn`t what he expected from all the hype he had heard. Point is, no manuf. has much of an advantage over the others if any. Buy what you think is best for you, drive it and like it or get rid of it. We are very, very fortunate to live in a country where we can do this.

Jomar

4diesels
09-22-2004, 06:06
Disc brakes.....ummmm my '99 F-350 has 4 wheel discs. Positive GM didn't have them then as in '99 the only HD pick-ups were still the C/K with drums in back.

Oh, and the 500,000 Duramaxes. According to the survey between 10 and 20% of the trucks are having injector failures. That means between 50-100,000 trucks with major problems, yeah..I'd be proud too :eek:

crew84
09-22-2004, 10:01
That means between 50-100,000 trucks with major problems, yeah..I'd be proud too
Bold statement! As if the survey was done using everyday owners. As I stated at the start of this thread

'This forum is not the majority of owners but rather a select few that are inquisitive or concerned about their trucks. Some are here for upgrades and others for problems.'

I can see that the problem catagory of owners that I brought up have spoken in that poll. This Forum is a far cry from the general population of duramax owners. Like I said in my first post that there is anger that pours out from personal experience in this forum that can sour real reasoning or give someone with a grudge a vent. With all that said I went out and bought the 7/100,000 mile extended warranty. :D

koolgt
09-22-2004, 12:24
Originally posted by 4diesels:
Oh, and the 500,000 Duramaxes. According to the survey between 10 and 20% of the trucks are having injector failures. That means between 50-100,000 trucks with major problems, yeah..I'd be proud too :eek: well im gonna be bold and hurt some feelings JD power dont lie we got an 11 score, dodge gotta 9, and ford got a 43!!!!! what that means to you is 43 out of every 100 engines from ford were returned to the factory due to problems after they were in the field, i can deal with 11 and 9 but 43 please, and next time please use these strait facts :rolleyes:

Jomar
09-22-2004, 19:16
Chevy and GMC had disc brakes on the front, at least on the 1500, in 1971. And Ford and Dodge----

Jomar

KenZ
09-23-2004, 05:12
Sounds like Koolgt just confirmed the 50-100,000 engine commment. Yes, according to JD Power Ford seems to be the worst by far, but Koolgt comment was

"i can deal with 11 and 9 but 43 please, and next time please use these strait facts"

Well, 11 out of 100 is 11%, and 11% of 500,000 is 55,000. I don't know the exact study by JD Power, whether it was only in warranty engines or in the first year, or what, but I would suspect as the mileage gets higher on these engines, we could see it go to 20% or higher, which would be 100,000 engines. So I don't think the comments were out of line. I think they all seem excessive. Even at 9% for Dodge, thats a lot of engine problems. And is that the new engines or the older ones? And by being returned to the factory, does that mean to the dealership?

Now what percentage of these is injector related or other? If there was a clear problem that stood out, such as the injectors,and they were able to fix or reduce that problem,(as they may have with the new design-LLY) the return rate should go down drastically.

That should be a reliable engine! Time will tell, and JD Power.

koolgt
09-23-2004, 13:15
ur injector problems are basically only for the LB7 and let me say that not many of em are bad, but GM did realize this, because i think i remember reading that GM now warranties the injectors on the LB7 for 200k miles, but i hate for my life to be critisized, some people "think" they know everything, ive been there for 2+ years and im telling you everyone is overeacting on this injector problem, its basically like this, the normal ordinary person isnt as engine savy as an enthusiast, someone post a problem, the sounds it makes, then u may hear something remotely close and boom u have a problem, most the time ur digging at something that never was there, its just all in your heads, yes there was an injector problem but theres about 300k LB7's out there, and if 5k of them are all injectors then thats not to bad, but id say its much less than that, but thats me, sorry for venting earlier, just stressed

hd90rider
09-23-2004, 15:39
koolgt , Any truth to the rumor of 60 more horses due out end of the year?

koolgt
09-23-2004, 16:46
Originally posted by hd90rider:
koolgt , Any truth to the rumor of 60 more horses due out end of the year? eh the 06? smile.gif yeah i saw em run one today down the line, WOW this is like no duramax ive ever seen, its like a brand new duramax, im sure what u heard is correct, i cant say either way, but more horse tons more torque, enough to make it king for a while

hd90rider
09-23-2004, 17:21
HMMM, just one?? I wish I could remember who posted that info!! They seemed to think it would start in Nov. or Dec. I am really curious,as I am about to order another, but will wait if not too long. My 02 is getting tired. 358k new motor at 282k. everything else original. Need a new one soon. Could ya smuggle one out :rolleyes: I could pick it up next week when I get to Dayton..

koolgt
09-24-2004, 13:16
we do have a couple new motors coming out soon, but the only new chevy, GMC motor is coming out in 06

Mark-
09-24-2004, 15:20
koolgt , Any truth to the rumor of 60 more horses due out end of the year?

I wonder if the 60 more horses will be able to be flashed to the 2004.5 LLY?

koolgt
09-25-2004, 00:09
Originally posted by Mark-:
i wonder if the 60 more horses will be able to be flashed to the 2004.5 LLY? nope