PDA

View Full Version : Duramax Power Contest

More Power
08-02-2002, 10:58
We're holding our third annual "Diesel Day Pull-Off" here in western Montana on September 6-7. All Ford, Dodge and GM diesel truck owners and diesel related aftermarket vendors are invited to attend. The focus is on power comparisons between the three brands of trucks and the aftermarket power products currently available.

On Friday evening we'll all meet at a local steak house for dinner, then on Saturday, we'll run the trucks on a 6% grade (either a 1-mile or a 3-mile) with a loaded trailer weighing approx 10,000#.

Following the event, a story will appear here in The Diesel Page that covers the event and products used to make power. Other than your Friday steak dinner, there is no cost to attend for either truck owners or vendors. Just bring a truck and/or products you'd like discussed, or just come to spectate.

The past two events centered on pulling a 10K trailer up a 6% grade for a measured mile from a standing start. This not only measures engine power, but also measures the ability of the drivetrain to put that power to the ground. We'll run at least three "classes", 1- stock, 2- chipped and 3- modified.

The aftermarket has made significant advances in Duramax performance this past year. The Pull-Off this time will help us determine how the Duramax currently competes stock and when chipped/modified.

This is a low-key and fun event. Please let me know if you can make it.......

MP

MaxRock
08-02-2002, 12:34
More Power, I would love to make it, but living this far south prohibits the trip. My question, will there be any ZF equipped trucks? IIRC, last years results with the D/A were good, but the Allison would not shift into the next higher gear and forced the truck to a top speed of 55 MPH. A comment was made that a D/ZF truck could have pulled even faster and further outpaced the competition.

Just curious!

MaxRock

More Power
08-02-2002, 12:54
We're hoping someone here in the bb forum with a ZF will attend....

There has always been a disagreement about comparing differently configured trucks. My philosophy has been to run the best performing representative from each truck manufacturer. Sorta like a football team fielding its best players for an important game.

Whether a stock ZF or Allison equipped truck would perform best in a loaded hill-climb remains a question. One problem I see now is that the various "Juice" Edge boxes don't work with the ZF, but the different varieties of the VanAaken boxes could.

MP

Colorado Kid
08-02-2002, 13:12
I'm not certain yet, but I'm pretty sure there will be at least one stock bright red crew cab Duramax ZF truck there. :D

MaxRock
08-02-2002, 14:29
Go gettum KID!

MaxRock

Kennedy
08-02-2002, 19:01
Cautiously optimistic that I'll have the Allison upgraded to handle the power I already have on tap.

If not, I'm afeeerd it's gonna be a matter of who can walk the finest line between hooking up and slipping.

7mmSTW
08-02-2002, 19:02
You should be able to set the level on a Juice w/ a D/A and then transfer it to a D/ZF.

Later

Seven

More Power
08-03-2002, 15:39
Some details of the event are forming as we speak. However, it appears reps from GM and Isuzu may attend. In addition, we'll likely run the event from a local GMC dealership. Still a lot of ifs, ands or buts till we know for sure.

The question about Allison upgrade availability should be answered on the 7th. A truck is scheduled to appear that is equipped with a modified Allison (plus lots of other "go-fast" stuff).

MP

Colorado Kid
08-05-2002, 08:55
Oh, so all I gotta do to make my ZF truck faster is buy a Juice box and another $35K-$40K truck so I can program it? The only other D-max owner I know well enough to ask him if I can rewire his truck a couple times for my benifit also bought a ZF. That's OK, I didn't plan to add power until I begin to get tired of the truck the way it is, and that won't be anytime soon. Might try one out for "experimental purposes" up in MT, if I get there and anyone wants to lend me some juice. We will NOT be trying levels 3 or 4 on my no guages truck though.

imported_
08-05-2002, 09:45
Well....this sounds like fun......i just happen to live just a little north of the 49th parallel and might have to take a road trip.....where abouts will you be having this event and will it be a gooseneck trailer....kingpin or bumper pull trailer?

More Power
08-05-2002, 10:49
Not everyone has a gooseneck ball, but all of these trucks - no matter the brand have a receiver hitch. So, we'll run a 10K bumper pull. Please make sure your truck has a brake controller and a large RV style connector.

MP