PDA

View Full Version : Altering Fuel fill .......

mackin
08-02-2002, 12:56
Don't bother.......Worth less at TEATS on a BULL.......You cannot even fill on the first click on the BIG RIG PUMPS ... When NELS said it "BURPS" he could have said it "P U K E S"......The nozzle head will fit, big deal, it fit before enough to do the same without the shoe soaking "SPEW" of Diesel Fuel....... I'm going to look into the fill neck on a 98 , because I could fill up at the BIG RIG pump with that truck, without incident, nozzle fit and everything........Did they change it that much? Any one with a 98 here? Oh Mr. Chevyhdman I know you got one, check it out buddy.......
Transflow wants to much for the retro kit.....I'll change shoes first.......

MAC
On Edit
Ah Ha mister software on the ****S ....I'll fix ya !!!!!!! tongue.gif

[ 08-02-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

IndigoDually
08-02-2002, 15:02
You just need to find a filler neck with an external vent line. Then figure out how to add the vent to the top of the tank somehow. Keep Me posted on how You make out, this is a mod that I am also interested in.

John

gardnerteam
08-02-2002, 15:47
Try the filler necks from earlier GM diesels. Part # is 15640371 Pipe Asm. Fit early 90's etc. They have the large neck and a vent hookup, as well as groundstrap connection. About $30 new from GM. I had several - used them on different applications. Still have one to use on the 02 D/A, except I got Transferflo to give me a deal on theirs with a tank purchase.

DmaxMaverick
08-02-2002, 16:16
I don't think the new tanks even have a vent nipple on the tank (I couldn't find one on mine, anyway). The vent tube is the fill pipe. Having an external vent tube will do no good if you have nothing to connect it to. Transferflow's remedy uses the same principal as the OEM, only more efficiently. Still, there's gotta be a better way.

mackin
08-02-2002, 16:56
There is a small vent tube attached to the filler neck very s m all.....Not enough apparently......Where does it come from? I didn't follow it, I assumed it was a tank vent of sorts....Got to find an earlier model as above and see if it will adapt...

MAC

ccds
08-02-2002, 17:00
That filling problem with the small neck is a "PAIN IN THE NECK"/ When my 2003 arrives here in early Sept. I am going to fix that F$$$ thing
one way or another.

I will watch with interest if anyone has good results.

smile.gif

Paintdude
08-02-2002, 17:34
Guys tell me you can buy a standard plumbing adapter to put into the rubber line, the 2 1/2 inch one, that has a 1/2 pipe thread on the side of it..you put a street L on the inside with a barb fitting-attach the small hose inside the big one to it then put a barb on the outside and attach your vent hose there..Did I discribe that right?

They do this for refueling the OEM tank with an auxiliary one.

WC
08-02-2002, 17:35
I put a Transferflow fill neck on my truck just a couple of hours ago. Not a bad job but as Macklin pointed out there is a small rubber tube with what appears to be a plastic breather on the end of it that attaches just below the fill cap on the inside of the bed. The OEM neck has a bracket that it attaches to but the TF does not have one and the instructions don't mention it. I used wire ties to reattach it and I have no idea where it goes. The new neck seems to work better but you still have foaming when trying to top off.

Paintdude
08-02-2002, 17:36
The tube is the differential breather..

mackin
08-02-2002, 19:12
Paintdude ,

Wow they dragged the differential vent way up there.....Use to just hang up near the rear......I understand your suggestion on the vent.? Know any one that did it and worked? There is a few different options for a vent once one spliced a piece PVC tube with a street L into the rubber hose ......

MAC

Paintdude
08-02-2002, 19:20
I know a guy who did it on his Ford..He gravity fed the tank from the bed tank..The OEM tank is not vented so it always stayed full..

the small tube in the big tube is to vent the fill hole while fueling, then when you put the cap back on the tank is sealed..This is how I understand it to be..

The Trans Flow item must put the inside hose on the outside as to not interupt the fuel flow while fueling..Obstuction..My best guess..

Paintdude
08-03-2002, 06:30
Check out this link..cut and paste it..(what a pain in the arse)..anyway here it is..

http://www.geocities.com/george_tlc/auxtank.html