PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! My Duramax keeps breaking

Champ
01-15-2004, 16:11
In July of 2001 I bought a 4WD Duramax with Allison transmission. 3 months and 12,700 miles later the injection pump had to be replaced. No cost but a little inconvenience. 20 months and odometer showing 103,700 miles, the transmission started acting up. Since it was out of warranty, I carried it to the Allison transmission dealer. The mechanic said that 4 out of 6 flex plate bolts on the torque converter were loose. He also said mine was the 4th or 5th Duramax that had been repaired because of this problem. Cost to me....$2300. 6 months later with the odometer showing 128,226, transmission problems again. This happened at a small town with no dealership but some good mechanics. The cause of my problem was the oil pump retainer cup in the transfer case had broke causing the oil pump to fall to the bottom thereby rubbing a hole from the inside out and allowing fluid to escape. Cost to me....$2900. 15 days later with the odometer showing 128,832, the engine lost power. Carried it to Chevy dealer and again they replaced the injection pump at a cost of $1700 ( This makes 3 injection pumps in 128,000 miles). 2 hours and 60 miles later truck lost oil pressure and was spitting out smoke. Had it towed back to dealer. Diagnosis - an injector had broken and repair cost would be $4500. When asked for his advice, his reply was "Call Chevrolet assistance. We've been having alot of these problems.
I guess I'm wondering if my case is an isolated incident (tough luck, huh) or have others had similar problems. Did Chevrolet work with you on these if you had these problems? Has there been any service bulletins concerning these problems? I'd appreciate any help you can give.

mdrag
01-15-2004, 17:31
Champ,

You deserve special credit for having all of these major failures and managing to maintain your composure. I think most would have bailed much earlier... and/or switched to a different nameplate :eek:

Many of the failures you describe have been reported by forum members, occurring in small numbers. I would guess that of the problems you mentioned - the loose torque converter bolt issue seems to have happened more than the others. The possibility of fuel injector failure has likely spawned the most discussion/interest.

I did not understand this transmission problem:

Originally posted by Champ:

...6 months later with the odometer showing 128,226, transmission problems again. This happened at a small town with no dealership but some good mechanics. The cause of my problem was the oil pump retainer cup in the transfer case had broke causing the oil pump to fall to the bottom thereby rubbing a hole from the inside out and allowing fluid to escape.

Just curious - How often were you servicing the fuel filter? Supplemental fuel filtration? Power adders/boxes or other performance mods?

With a forum name like Champ, you must have success in other areas... :D

Champ
01-18-2004, 09:53
Changed all filters as per Chevy recommendations. Truck was stock - had no add-ons.