PDA

View Full Version : No turbo whine, lots of smoke

Imteam
07-18-2004, 09:13
I've got about 2500 miles on the rebuilt 6.5 and the new injector pump. Last week the truck started pumping out huge amounts of black smoke and "bucking" under heavy load. I also noticed that I couldn't hear the turbo whine.
A closer listen, with my wife driving, revealed a fluttering sound coming from the area of the turbo. The sound quits when I let up on the throttle.
So far, I've verified that the wastegate isn't stuck and that I have vacuum at the wastgate control. I've also verified that the compressor wheel spins freely and without play. I haven't checked the turbine wheel yet. Is there any way to check it without demounting the turbo?
Any ideas?

Thanks

patrick m.
07-18-2004, 10:04
got gauges?

Imteam
07-18-2004, 10:20
No gauges (other than pyrometer) - yet. I have access to a vacuum gauge and will get a hold of that tomorrow.
After reading some more old posts here, I went out and checked the resistance on the wastegate actuator at idle. Not much resistance. I can easily open the wastegate with the vacuum line attached and the truck running. Not as easy as with the vacuum line off, but still pretty easy. I've inspected the vacuum lines and they look good.
Should be down to vacuum pump or solenoid, shouldn't it?

ttpost
07-18-2004, 10:30
where are you from in wa, i live near portland, i also am having about the same problems you are.

Cooperrw
07-18-2004, 11:06
I have had the same problem in the past with my truck (two times) and it turned out to be the boost control module (not sure of the actual part name) on the left side of the engine. With the truck idling you should see alot of resistance on the waste gate actuator, I believe GM calls for about 15 psi of vacume mine had 5 psi. After installing the new part the psi jumped to almost 20 and I couldn't move the actuator while idling.
:cool:

Imteam
07-18-2004, 11:07
Hey, ttpost. I'm in Eastern Washington, Whitman County. I lived in Vancouver for about eight years before, though. I'll let you know what I find out about my truck if you'll do the same.

Thanks.

ttpost
07-18-2004, 14:11
eastern wa huh ooohhhhh goooood bird hunting :D :D :D just played with mine a bit, good vacuum, cant move the actuator, i am gonna try a new wastegate solenoid. do you have good vacuum to your wastegaste?? let me know what you find out. by the way i have a german shorthair yearling that loves birds :D :D

Imteam
07-18-2004, 16:54
Yep, right in the heart of birdland. Unfortunately, I only have a small piece that holds birds, about 45 acres, so I have to go begging to the neighbors :( .

As far as vacuum goes, I haven't stuck a gauge on it yet, but the vacuum at the actuator is poor. There is little resistance to moving the wastegate arm. I do seem to have good vacuum from the pump though. If the gauge confirms my unscientific tests, I'll spring for a new solenoid and see what happens. It's too bad, all of this is eating into my new exhaust and performance ECM.

PS. I just gave away my shorthair and am looking for another Brittany.

Imteam
07-18-2004, 17:33
Thanks, River Rat. I'm starting to think I'm on track for the same problem you experienced.

ttpost
07-19-2004, 09:20
have you checked your vacuum line between the wastegate solenoid and the wastegate to make sure there arent any holes in it. there are lots of places for it to rub.

moondoggie
07-19-2004, 12:05
Good Day!

You might want to look at my 23 Jan 04 post in Wastegate Solenoid Question (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005667#000003) (Click on the colored text.).

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

Imteam
07-19-2004, 18:31
Thanks all! After checking vacuum with a guage, I have a little over 20 before the solenoid, but get nearly nothing after the solenoid. I'm going to replace the solenoid tomorrow and see what happens. Hopefully, I'll here that whine again!****script:void(0)
****script:void(0)

DennisG01
07-19-2004, 20:21
If it helps, I recently had a similar problem. Turned out to be a sticky wastegate solenoid (replaced it) and some holes in the crossover pipe (replaced it). The holes in the pipe led to a fluttering noise - quite loud in my case as there were a number of holes.

Barry Nave
07-20-2004, 02:38
Be for running down down to a parts store,
clean the part with WD 40, blow air in and out.
Done this before and it free's up the inters.
I'll do this as a Mat. item every other oil change. Their are vavles inside that run dry and should not stick yet the foam vent can not trap all the dirt. Elect part usely does not go bad as often as the vavles most of the time get slow or stuck.

BE Johnson
07-22-2004, 07:37
Hey guys, I had the same problem with my turbo, I was told I needed a new fuel injector pump, All it was, my Vacuum not working to the wastegate. Now my truck pull my 44ft trailer like it not there. $32.00 part and fifteen minutes to replace myself. Truck working fine. Joining the Dieselpage was the best thing I done. Thank you'll for the help.... Eric

Imteam
07-22-2004, 15:33
Ok, I decided to eliminate the vacuum irritation alltogether and ordered a Turbo Master from Heath Diesel. I'll install it tomorrow, but first I just want to say thanks to the crew at Heath. I ordered the part Tuesday evening, and it arrived today! Fantastic!!!!

ttpost
07-25-2004, 11:01
did you get you turbo master installed and if so did it help, let me know thanks :confused:

panhead9
07-25-2004, 12:29
Sounds like wastegate solonoid is bad buy a new one from chevy and spend 36 bucks using heaths turbomaster for 69 dollars is a way better investment. I actually replaced my wastegate actuator with a stock on a few years back and it cost me over 200 bucks (what a waste) This is when I was ignorant to this board. If you get rid of the vac controller Heathes is mechanical and I can see no forseable problems with it in the future also you can adjust it up to 13 psi or so if you do a chip mod, and after re-reading your post I see you have done this. So as long as you have a pyrometer you can adjust the thing to the hilt and you will be HAPPY I have done this and
WHOO HOO what a difference. You are making the right choice. But I would recommend a pressure gauge in the intake to see where your boost is, you WILL have to adjust it.
With stock chip you can run up to 7 psi but aftermarket like you have you can go 13-14 the actuator really helps.

[ 07-25-2004, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: panhead9 ]

Imteam
07-25-2004, 18:03
Alllllllrigth!!! I just installed the Turbo Master. About a 20 to 30 minute job. Turbo is whining away again, smoke is back where it should be, no more hesitation, and I can run the hills full out. Awesome product. Power is noticeably smoother.

Thanks to all who helped out with info by responding to my original post.